• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Waiting Tables

CarolinaNCSU

So I graduated in May and won't be starting grad school until the Spring semester. In my small town, with a lot of older friends already having careers or having moved away, I'm bored out of my mind. I already work for my family business, but it's mostly from 8-lunch or early afternoons without a lot of work for me to do honestly, resulting in more boredom.  One of my good friends and his family own the steakhouse in town and I've joked around a bit with his dad about giving me a job waiting tables at night to earn some extra cash/save for this new adult life. Welp, he finally bit and I start training this weekend.

Basically, any advice from those of you who have waited tables? Best ways to deal with asshole customers? Anyone want to come in and leave me a giant tip? 

be polite....be clean....smile....get rid of the gum...have some fun and keep it light

if there's a problem in the kitchen and it's not your fault...tell the customer...because all I have to blame it on is you and my tip will be adjusted accordingly...if I know it's out of your hands, I won't hold it against you.

- Pay close attention to how the veteran servers work.  Take mental notes on how they interact with tables.  If you are personable, that will go a long way.

- Get in good with your co-workers.  The bussers, kitchen (most importantly), bartender, dishwashers, other servers.  Take time to meet and be respectful to all of them, even if they don't speak english...at some point your going to be swamped and need some help, whether it's another shot of liquor for a mixed drink that isn't strong enough, or an extra side of mashed potatoes from the kitchen.  If the kitchen likes you, they will hook you up when you really need it. 

- Don't disappear on your tables.  If you have some free time, walk by or stay within eyesight of your tables in case they need something. 

- Don't annoy your tables.  No one wants to be bugged a bunch while at dinner.  Once the food is dropped off, come by a few minutes later to check on everything..then give them time to enjoy.  (stay within eyesight like I said above)

- Be polite to the customer, no matter how big an a-hole they are.  You can talk all the trash you want once you get behind the scenes, but always put on a smiling face to the customer. 

- Always add gratuity to large parties, and inform them you are adding grat.  You will get burned if you don't add grat.  If they want to leave you extra they can.

Entrees shouldn't come while apps are still on the table.

That's just an annoyance to me. I did wait tables for a little while though, and echo advice already given. Also, co-workers easily become friends, connections and hook ups. Regulars can as well, but that could take money from your pocket in the end, or add to it depending on how well you play the situation.

Another thing: always try to upsell.

The higher the tables tab, the higher your tip will be (presumably).

When you greet the table, say "Can I start you out with one of our cold draft beers?"  or whatever drink special is going on.  Even if it's not on special, say something like "We are featuring our orange pomegranite sangrias tonight"  or whatever fancy drink you have. 

Drinks are where the tabs start going up, even if they just order sodas.  If a family of four orders four cokes, that is around $10 added to the tab right there. 

Always upsell food items, such as asking if they want to add a salad or adding shrimp to a steak dinner. 

Little things like that seperate the excellent servers from the average.

Shave your face.

Always be clean when working. (lint brush and mouthwash are key to leave there)

Be nice to all of them, even when you don't want to.

Keep everything on an internal timer in your head....very important especially in a steak house environment.

Bang the servers and don't ignore them after (not uncommon to be with 2 or 3 at the same time).

Learn to open a bottle of wine well, not just OK but well.  You will feel comfortable selling them and big $$$ follows.

After a while learn to not write down orders on anything other than a 4 top, you are great when you can do an 8 top.

Always check to make sure the hostesses are above 18.

Don't drink at the restaurant after hours unless the owner is there with you.

Learn to tend bar along the way, always a good skill, and more girls.

Don't bitch about paying out the bus crew.  They make literally no money.

Always volunteer for banquets, and always add the tip auto when you can.

Know the menu in and out as well as the beers on tap, and the bar and desert menu.

Know the house specials and what the chef/cook really enjoys preparing.  ( I hate when they look at me and don't have a fav)

I will think of some more.

Priority list in descending order:

Run hot food.

Greet tables and take drink orders

Close out tabs

Take food orders

Bring initial drinks

refill drinks

prebus

Check on your tables at least twice during their meal, other than glacing to see if they need drink refills: a few minutes after they've started eating to ask if they are enjoying the meal/ if the food is to their liking and when they have finished their meal for obvious reasons, always try to sell dessert at this point.

Any time you bring anything new to the table always ask "Is there anything else that I can get you at the moment" before you walk away.

Do NOT call your table "guys" if there is even ONE woman at the table. Use Folks or some other generic term if it's a mixed crowd, or Ladies for all women and Gentlemen for all men. Don't fuging SAY GUYS.

you're not going to remember all this, so i'll keep it simple

1) take the time to be knowledgable about your product

2) be enthusiastic and energetic

3) learn to bartend, even if it means coming in on a day off and offering to barback or work for no tips (or just a small tipout.) if you can land a bartending gig somewhere it's usually far better money and a hell of a lot more fun.

good luck, it's a fun job if you have the right attitude and genuintely enjoy dealing with people.

do not stare directly at your female customer's breasts for prolonged periods of time

when you can, always give the bill to the guys...after years in the biz, my wife says 98% of the time, guys tip larger than girls.

The customer is always right. Word of mouth advertiing will kill or keep a restaurant open.

If you can't make it to a table right away, at least stop by the table quickly and say "I'll be right with you".  At least they know that YOU know they are there, even if it takes you a few minutes to get back.

Archived