• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gerald Henderson Trade Rumors

Wolfcop

With Hendo reportedly requesting in the ballpark of $8-9mil a year I think the Bobcats are asking themselves if he is our long term shooting guard or if we want to take a run at guys like Paul George in free agency next off season and upgrade over Henderson for the price he is asking.

I would love to sign him to a $5-6mil a year contract because we can maintain flexibility with next year's offseason and still be active in competitive.  Signing him to a big boy contract like he wants means he is out starter for years to come.  He is a good and productive starter, but if they think they can bring in an upgrade at his position next season for any amount of money then they should not sign him simply just because we drafted him.

With all of the salary cap maneuvering that Rich Cho has been doing to create flexibility, he is not going to use it all up just because we can.  That is why we were stuck with Gerald Wallace and Stephen Jackson as our core players, because we overpaid them and had no choice but to stick with them as our go-to guys.

He should play on his qualifying offer and if he has a great year this year, we should hook him up.  Injury history is the only thing I could understand on Bobcats part of being weary.

I agree to an extent.

The Bobcats should also be weary of Henderson's production, which in my opinion is why he was not offered a lucrative deal from other teams in free agency.  Outsider's perspective is.... Henderson was an above average player for a below average team and potentially the best player on the worst team in the league which would only inflate his statistics and value.

The Bobcats have literally upgraded at every single position whether through new personnel or via an experience upgrade (one more year under the belt for MKG & Kemba).  It will be a true test to see Gerald Henderson's market value if he stays with the Bobcats, playing for a team with more than one scoring option as I don't believe Henderson's statistics will ever be as high as they were at the end of last season as long as we have a healthy roster.

Gerald Henderson is making the smartest business decision he can which is to try to get teams to buy while his stock is as high as it will be for the next few years.  He will not maintain the same production with next years roster:

2012:                    2013:

PG: Kemba        < Kemba +1 year exp

SG: Henderson  < Henderson +1 year exp

SF: MKG            < MKG +1 year exp

PF: Biyombo      < Cody Zeller

C: Mullens          < Al Jefferson

Note*: I like Henderson and he could very well prove me wrong, but this is just the thought process on why he is asking for more money than anyone (Bobcats included) believes he is worth.

With Hendo reportedly requesting in the ballpark of $8-9mil a year I think the Bobcats are asking themselves if he is our long term shooting guard or if we want to take a run at guys like Paul George in free agency next off season and upgrade over Henderson for the price he is asking.

I would love to sign him to a $5-6mil a year contract because we can maintain flexibility with next year's offseason and still be active in competitive. Signing him to a big boy contract like he wants means he is out starter for years to come. He is a good and productive starter, but if they think they can bring in an upgrade at his position next season for any amount of money then they should not sign him simply just because we drafted him.

With all of the salary cap maneuvering that Rich Cho has been doing to create flexibility, he is not going to use it all up just because we can. That is why we were stuck with Gerald Wallace and Stephen Jackson as our core players, because we overpaid them and had no choice but to stick with them as our go-to guys.

With Gordon coming off the cap it would be a perfect storm to go after Paul George hard!!

He would be a perfect fit if all goes as envisioned with the roster...early draft guys be dammed!!

You could also argue that the addition of Zeller and Jefferson could increase his production though.  When there is one or two people on the court that can score at all (Kemba and Henderson last year) it's much easier to guard than when you have those two players, AND Jefferson and Zeller.  Jefferson will command double teams, leaving others open, and in Zeller, you have a guy who can shoot the mid-range or even drive.  His defense is great also.

My guess is that the Buzz cats are more than willing to have Henderson at QO for next season and re-evaluate next off season to either invest long term in Henderson or use that money for a SG elsewhere. Plus it gives us another year to evaluate Taylor and see if he can be a long term solution.

I think the only way he will get a long term extension this off season is if another team forces our hand and signs him and we match it (assuming it is reasonable)

I would love to sign him to a $5-6mil a year contract because we can maintain flexibility with next year's offseason and still be active in competitive.  Signing him to a big boy contract like he wants means he is out starter for years to come.  He is a good and productive starter, but if they think they can bring in an upgrade at his position next season for any amount of money then they should not sign him simply just because we drafted him.

With all of the salary cap maneuvering that Rich Cho has been doing to create flexibility, he is not going to use it all up just because we can.  That is why we were stuck with Gerald Wallace and Stephen Jackson as our core players, because we overpaid them and had no choice but to stick with them as our go-to guys.

Hendo must be drunk if he think Cho is going to give him 8-9mil; especially with gaining no interests in FA. Im not even sure if the Bobcats will give him a 5-6mil contract. Im thinking Cho is going to try and let Hendo play his Q/O of 4.2 mil this year only. Im not so sure how much of a long term answer he will be, bc I can only assume that the SG position will be the position we'll be addressing next offseason.

Archived