• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers Training Camp Update

Zod

The Carolina Panthers had their first practice of 2013 in full pads. As expected, it was much more physical and fun to watch.

Kenjon Barner is quickly becoming my favorite rookie of 2013. His running style was a stark contrast to Deangelo Williams. Barner is hitting the hole much faster and has a quicker burst. This is something really to keep your eyes on as camp progresses.

Carolina-Panthers-Training-Camp-2-1.jpg

Mike Shula has been very involved and vocal at practice. The players seem to be responding to him positively. So far, I don't see much difference than the offense Chud installed.

Carolina-Panthers-Training-Camp-2-21.jpg

Overall the offensive line is losing in the run game. Lets just hope the Defensive line is just that good.

Carolina-Panthers-Training-Camp-2-22.jpg

The defensive backs have been losing the majority of the battles. We are going to need someone to step up and start making progress quickly.

Carolina-Panthers-Training-Camp-2-25.jpg

Olsen has shown a little rust, but also has made plays. I don't think it is anything to worry about.

Carolina-Panthers-Training-Camp-2-26.jpg

Smitty continues to coach up AE on the sidelines. Its easy to see Smith likes him and sees potential there, or he wouldn't bother. Smith isn't shy about calling lazy players out.

Carolina-Panthers-Training-Camp-2-28.jpg

Short had a solid day, showing much more strength and push than Fua ever has. I overheard an Offensive Lineman talking about Short. He mentioned Short being a "hands guy", eluding to how well Short plays with his hands, as important for a defensive lineman as his feet.

Carolina-Panthers-Training-Camp-2-32.jpg

Cam would have been sacked multiple times today.

Carolina-Panthers-Training-Camp-2-34.jpg

Come at me bro!

Carolina-Panthers-Training-Camp-2-7.jpg

Does his helmet seem too small to you?

Carolina-Panthers-Training-Camp-2-9.jpg

Overall, the QB's look pretty good. Jimmy appears to have lost a little arm strength to me, if thats possible.

Carolina-Panthers-Training-Camp-2-6.jpg

Tolbert still appears to be Mr Dependable.

Carolina-Panthers-Training-Camp-2-24.jpg

Lots of emphasis today on stripping the ball. At least 3 drills conducted, fine tuning it.

Carolina-Panthers-Training-Camp-2-20.jpg

The Star-Amini battle today went to Star. Amini was unable to hold him at bay. Hard to do while laying on the ground.

Carolina-Panthers-Training-Camp-2-31.jpg

Keep an eye on Brockel. He is having a really good camp, making lots of solid blocks. Will Shula be able to utilize him correctly?

Carolina-Panthers-Training-Camp-2-2.jpg

Having the pads on really benefits Star. If he cannot hit anyone he isnt going to beat them at this stage in his career. Finesse isn't his game. When the pads are on, he can bull rush and use those massive arms to toss aside his opponent. We will really get a sense of what Star is made of in the first pre-season game when he is suited up, fired up, and can hit someone who isn't on his team. 

Love to hear that about Barner! A lot of people were mad about the pick because it was another RB, but I knew how explosive he was and was surprised he was still there that late. Awesome news!

As far as the OL and DBs, hopefully this will convince Gettleman that we need to add some guys that are left out there... I know its one padded practice, but finish the deals with Wharton and Mikell, then look into help at CB.

Btw Zod, aside from almost being sacked a lot, how did Cam look?

The offensive line really needs to be on point by season's open. That's the key to a fast start for us. I think the defense can hold their own but if the the line is not blocking well for Cam, prepare for another 1-3 September.

Agreed.  Hopefully we pick at least a dependable backup or 2 on cheap 1 year deals other teams cuts.  We desperately need to be able to get yards on the ground and to protect Cam.  I wonder why it always takes our team so long for the Oline to get their poo together, even when we had talent all across it.

Can't say anybody's getting "significantly better" until they show it on the field on game day

But I'm not going to rip the guy for striving to improve like he has been. I hope to see the goal of this project finally realized this season. Do it for Hurney.

Archived