• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam and Joe Adams posing for the camera.

rdog157h

If he made a career decision based on what people on a message board - or fans in general - say about him, that would be embarrassing.

We're not talking about Vince Young here.

Not sure where you got that I was basing anything solely on this board. Anyways.... It's everything, from the fickle local fans who were against him being drafted to the local media who bash him if he sneezes too loudly.

Then he gets it from the national media as well. Where does it end?

I stand by my statement that this fan base honestly just may not deserve sustained success.

If he made a career decision based on what people on a message board - or fans in general - say about him, that would be embarrassing.

We're not talking about Vince Young here.

I don't think that this is about what fans think so much as it is about how TD reacted (or didn't, as it were) to what Cam and Adams were doing, and how that helps define, play into, and/or affect the dynamics of the team.

Not sure where you got that I was basing anything solely on this board. Anyways.... It's everything, from the fickle local fans who were against him being drafted to the local media who bash him if he sneezes too loudly.

Then he gets it from the national media as well. Where does it end?

I stand by my statement that this fanbase honestly just may not deserve sustained success.

This forum, while large for a Panthers board, represents a pretty small percentage of the actual Panther fanbase.

The fans Newton deals with most frequently - the ones actually in the stadium - cheer for him loud and long.

As to negative media, he gets more of that from national guys than local ones.  Nowhere you can go to escape that.  But hey, if local guys do bash him, so what?

If he works well with his teammates and has success here, those things should be far bigger factors in deciding his future than what people say about him.

If Newton were to pull a Vince Young and let fan reaction affect his career, I'd lose respect for him.

The fans he deals with most frequently - the ones in the stadium - cheer for him loud and long.

As to negative media, he gets more of that from national guys than local ones.  Nowhere you can go to escape that.  But hey, if local guys do bash him, so what?

If he works well with his teammates and has success here, those things should be far bigger factors in deciding his future than what people say about him.

If Newton were to pull a Vince Young and let fan reaction affect his career, I'd lose respect for him.

Why is Vince Young even in this conversation now again? Nevermind, I'm not even going to touch that.

I think you are minimizing the local media response he receives here. The Hello Kitty idiocy comes to mind.

Bottom line is, he is just a 24 year old guy. If people could get their heads out of their asses and accept him instead of simply tolerating him, it'd be great. I don't see that happening anytime soon though unfortunately.

lol... Here is the breakdown.

A little over 4 minutes....Cam is standing by Rivera watching and goes nuts for Jimmy running for a first.

Cam remains front row watching 3rd stringers.

A timeout at 3:20

Cam still standing up front with coaches.

Time out gets long and camera comes up to him ...Cam has fun

Davis was clearly being a part pooper....but who cares.

Well if TD was really going after Cam for having a little fun, then I hope he's there telling Smith to cut it out after his usual scuffle with a CB every game, or when he's spinning the ball after almost every catch.  I hope he's there telling D-Lo and Stew to knock it off after they score and do the matrix dance, and I hope he's there after Tolbert is there doing the dougie after every score.

I understand what you and others are saying, but, like it or not, Cam is held to a different standard. He is not only the QB of a pro franchise, but he came into the league as arguably the most scrutinized and/or criticized QB ever. This criticism and scrutiny, right or wrong, carried over into the first couple of years into Cam's NFL career. As such, it may be prudent for him to be a bit more cautious about his public and/or professional actions.  Right or wrong, this is probably the reality.  Comparing him to other players, and even other QBs (in a sense), on some level is comparing akin to comparing apples to oranges.

Like I have said a couple of other times in the thread, I am not going to judge TD, Cam or Adams too harshly. They are just at different point in their careers, lives and experiences, and may not see things eye to eye, so a little consternation, celebration, or consternation of celebration is not surprising in this situation. And, at the same time, it's not really a big deal. It's just food for thought on a message board.

Cam was joking around for the camera with Gross too. Gross took part in it and was posing with Newton. 4 quarter 13 minute mark if anyone doesn't believe me.

4th quarter of the first pre season game in which they were winning. These guys were having fun. Y'all need to let them breathe.

Why is Vince Young even in this conversation now again? Nevermind, I'm not even going to touch that.

I think you are minimizing the local media response he receives here. The Hello Kitty idiocy comes to mind.

Bottom line is, he is just a 24 year old guy. If people could get their heads out of their asses and accept it him instead of simply tolerating him. It'd be great. I don't see that happening anytime soon though unfortunately.

Because Vince Young flaked out and let booing fans get to him.  That was the start of his downfall.  His career is in the toilet in large part because he didn't have the fortitude to handle the pressure.

And now you're suggesting Newton would be justified in leaving the Panthers because local media or a small percentage of the fanbase have negative opinions of him?  Sorry, I think that's silly.

Letting negative fan reaction or media affect your game play or your career decisions is a sign of a pretty weak minded, thin skinned person.  Add in that it's a ridiculously stupid reason to alter your career path.

That's Vince Young.  I don't believe it's Newton.  Newton, has in fact, been critical of Young for his behavior.

Newton's highly paid (likely soon to be more so) he's popular, plays on a team that many believe to be on the rise, and is poised to break into the NFL's elite with a solid season.  A year from now the world could be his oyster.

If, in the middle of all that, he'd be pissed about what some fans or media types said about him, that'd be pretty pathetic.  Why should he give an airborne rodent's buttocks about any of that in his position?

And if he leaves Charlotte, it ought to be for a much better reason than that.

I am no expert lip reader....

Look like Davis tapped him and you could read his lips but it didn't look Cam could even here it....

Then Davis said possibly "act cool". Cam gives him almost a WTF look at him having something up his rear.....shrugs it off and looks at the camera saying" he's a ham" and goes back to watching from up front.

I am no expert lip reader....

Look like Davis tapped him and you could read his lips but it didn't look Cam could even here it....

Then Davis said possibly "act cool". Cam gives him almost a WTF look at him having something up his rear.....shrugs it off and looks at the camera saying" he's a ham" and goes back to watching from up front.

Cam says "he a hater man"

Because Vince Young flaked out and let booing fans get to him.  That was the start of his downfall.  His career is in the toilet in large part because he didn't have the fortitude to handle the pressure.

Letting negative fan reaction or media affect your game play or your career decisions is a sign of a pretty weak minded, thin skinned person.  Add in that it's a ridiculously stupid reason to alter your career path.

That's Vince Young.  I don't believe it's Newton.  Newton, has in fact, been critical of Young for his behavior.

Newton's highly paid (likely soon to be more so) he's popular, plays on a team that many believe to be on the rise, and is poised to break into the NFL's elite with a solid season.  A year from now the world could be his oyster.

If, in the middle of all that, he'd be pissed about what some fans or media types said about him, that'd be pretty pathetic.

Just me, but I see no reason to bring Young into this. Completely different guy, and circumstances.

For the most part it seems Cam has done a good job of tuning all this out, going back to college even. I do not want to see him leave, but I am not going to cover my eyes and ears, and pretend everyone loves him.

We never really agree on much of anything lol, so I'm not surprised we don't see eye to eye on this.

Archived