• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Handling of a Franchise Quarterback

carolinanimal

First off, this isnt a thread on Cam's abilities or perceived lack of skills in certain areas. This is about how you view the organization has handle having a franchise level QB. 

In my personal opinion, i dont think we have handle having one very well. 

When you look at most of the recent teams with franchise level qbs, the teams have tried to build around them. Look at the drafts and moves for the Colts, Redskins and Seahawks. They either tried to provide weapons or protection for their qbs or already had established them on the team. 

I havent seen that from this team yet. Its almost as if they expect Cam to make up for the shortcomings of this team on offense. He has for the most part, but i think he will need some help eventually.

What is your opinion on how we have handled having a franchise QB so far? 

look at the OL.

look at the offensive skill players drafted since cam was drafted.

then look at what was done for keek in front of him.

we are in the process of extending hardy and we have gone cheap with the OL.

gettleman hasn't done enough to help the offense. the org. didn't do enough prior to gettleman getting here. we had two big TEs once upon a time and we replaced him with another RB that we labeled a FB because he was heavy .

the team made a decision between building up the offense and the defense and they have chosen defense as the priority and offense as the afterthought. 

you hire a defensive guy as a coach and that's what happens.

Yeah we haven't helped him the way we should.  I almost feel like Gettleman sees this season as a wash and was getting defensive players, probably expects to axe Rivera, hire his own coach, and go offense next season.  I hope not though.

look at the OL.

look at the offensive skill players drafted since cam was drafted.

then look at what was done for keek in front of him.

we are in the process of extending hardy and we have gone cheap with the OL.

gettleman hasn't done enough to help the offense. the org. didn't do enough prior to gettleman getting here. we had two big TEs once upon a time and we replaced him with another RB that we labeled a FB because he was heavy .

the team made a decision between building up the offense and the defense and they have chosen defense as the priority and offense as the afterthought. 

you hire a defensive guy as a coach and that's what happens.

this is my point. as a franchise with a franchise level qb wouldnt it make sense to give said qb everything possible and build around him? i love me some keek, but you dont win superbowls by having the best mlb in the game. 

i hope offense is the priority next year, but look at the hole we've dug.

gross and wharton are only signed for this year and unless they are re-signed that leaves kalil as the only OL worth a crap. 

and steve smith is the only WR under contract for next year.

so we are essentially left with kalil, silatolu, kugbilla, bell, and garry williams (i suppose) on the OL and steve smith as the WR. that's a whole lot of holes to fill.

Maybe we could have done more but we have drafted o-line and offensive skill players in each of the last two drafts (unfortunately some of those picks have not worked out), we went out and got Greg Olsen, and I don't believe that Smith, Lafell, Dwill, J-stew are all scrubs.

Our offense has been top 10 in TDs per drive the last two seasons and our offense has been better than most of those other QBs.

Our defense on the other hand had not been as successful until later last season, and even then it had more holes than our offense.

We do need O-line help. If the play of our o-line continues to struggle I am sure that will be addressed in the next draft.

But in terms of player personnel I think we have handled him fine.

@OP

You brought up a great point. 

Because one could sure question the previous GM, and current coaches ability to help this QB get to the next level. 

Nonetheless, when the season starts, I think the offense will surprise, because of said QB, and how he effects it. 

But yes; it appears more could have been done, despite the holes on defense in 2011, early 2012. 

Maybe we could have done more but we have drafted o-line and offensive skill players in each of the last two drafts (unfortunately some of those picks have not worked out), we went out and got Greg Olsen, and I don't believe that Smith, Lafell, Dwill, J-stew are all scrubs.

Our offense has been top 10 in TDs per drive the last two seasons and our offense has been better than most of those other QBs.

Our defense on the other hand had not been as successful until later last season, and even then it had more holes than our offense.

We do need O-line help. If the play of our o-line continues to struggle I am sure that will be addressed in the next draft.

But in terms of player personnel I think we have handled him fine.

It's funny; so many Huddler's seem to think 'Da D" is going to be automatic this year. I'm just not convinced, and will wait and see. 

Both the offense and Defense may surprise this year (in divergent ways). And I really hope the defense can learn to hold a lead for a change/Christ Sakes. 

Oh man, this could be a book but....

The first issue was Hurney going around resigning his "core".

He did 2 things right to help Cam. Resign Kalil and Trade for Greg Olsen, this gave Cam stability at the Center spot and a TE to rely on.

Shockey was signed as well, but I can't remember if that was before or after we drafted Cam.

The DWill contract hurt Cam twice. It took away valuable cap and it cost us a possible 3rd or 4th comp pick, a pick where we could have grabbed an OLineman or Playmaker to develop.

The Kicker That Shall Not Be Named contract was horrible and he cost us games AND cost cap.

Beason, CJ, Godfrey deals were meant to support the D.

The issue grew worse in the draft along with Cam. We took 1  WR (Pilares) who was really a Special Team guy and late round OLine that didn't pan out at all..  Adams has been released and Amini is...developing.  Fua and McClain could be the worst 2 non-trade picks Hurney made, it was horrible, especially looking back at what could have been (which I frown upon but for this thread we will play along). Also, the Edwards trade cost us chances at playmakers.

Turn the Williams/Kicker/Beason/Godfrey money into a young promising guard, a Pierre Garcon or Vincent Jackson, or even a RT and things look a lot better from 2010

Instead of Edwards: WR Torrey Smith, WR Randal Cobb, OT Orlando Franklin

Instead of McClain: RB Ridley, RB Demaro Murray, Etc

Instead of Fua/Hogan: Cameron Jordan TE, Etc

Instead of Pilares: Marcus Cannon G (thats a strech, but point remains.

Our 2011 draft wasn't dedicated to helping Cam Newton,  Hurney was still in "We can WINS!" mode when he should of have been in "Lets restock the fridge" mode.

It wasn't much better in 2012, but at least that draft wasn't a complete and total cluster fug after the 1st pick like 2011.

2013 was Gett's first draft. I believe he walked into the GM office, looked at some contracts and murrmered "WTF" at least 100 times a day. 

2009, 2010 and 2011 drafts were absolute dog poo for this team, excluding a couple hits obviously. 

The best of the Bunch is Cam, Hardy and Lafell. a Franchise QB, a DE we developed, and a Career #2 WR.  

Out of 24 players drafted in those 3 years, 16 are no longer with the team.  Of the 8 that remain, Cam and Hardy are the only playmakers.  4 of the 8 are starters (Captain shouldn't be but WTFever) and the other 4 are JAGs.

Archived