• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

4th and inches

Toolbox

no I insulted you, pointed out the extreme flaw in your argument and insulted you again.

now you are just asking me to go away, you're the one that needs to grow up. think your argument is better then mine come up with a better counter argument, because I've buried you without even needing to put any effort into it.  weak sauce is weak.

Now you just trying to goad me

You don't belong in the NFL if you cant convert a 4th and fuging inches.. gtfo.

Well then I guess Sean Payton and the Saints - who won today - don't belong since they went for it on fourth and inches and failed.

Likewise, on quite a few occasions over the past several years, the Bill Belichick coached Patriots have gone for it on fourth and inches and have been stuffed.

Guess those guys need to be shown the door :rolleyes:

BTW, remember when everyone on the Huddle howled and laughed at Mike Smith for going for it on 4th and inches from his own 30 yards line against the Saints in 2011 to lose the game.

Lots of guys with new perspectives these days I guess

Mike smith's mistake was handing it off to turner and not sneaking it.

I trust and agree with writers Rotoworld, Sporting News, and Football Outsiders more than I do posters on here, so call it what you will.

I might care about a beat writers opinion, but not a national writer most of them read the AP report and  go off that with their own twist, 95% of all national writers dont watch our games unless they are in prime time.

it takes about a hour and a half to watch each game condensed x 16, see what I'm saying now, all the people your relying on didnt even watch the game at all.

Well then I guess Sean Payton and the Saints - who won today - don't belong since they went for it on fourth and inches and failed.

Likewise, on quite a few occasions over the past several years, the Bill Belichick coached Patriots have gone for it on fourth and inches and have been stuffed.

Guess those guys need to be shown the door :rolleyes:

You failed to mention that belichick was more successful at converting those 4th downs than not.. so yeah.

This is what they write about you when it doesn't work out

It’s simple risk versus reward.

With the game tied 23-23, Smith’s Falcons faced a fourth-and-1 from their own 29-yard-line on Sunday against the Saints. At first, Smith decided to punt the ball, which would have not only been the conventional thing to do but also the smartest. Instead, he had a “change of heart” (his words, not mine) and decided to go for it instead.

Thus, it was no surprise that Ryan took the snap on that fatal fourth down, spun around and handed the ball to Turner, who was promptly stuffed in the backfield.

Which gets us back to Smith. After three-plus years of playing conservative football with his conservative offensive coordinator, why take the ultimate risk at that point? Again, had the Falcons picked up the first down they still would have had a ways to go just to get into field goal range. If they didn’t convert, the Saints would take over only needing to trot their field goal unit onto the field for a game-winning attempt.

Following the game Smith admitted that he was afraid to give the ball back to Drew Brees, which is certainly understandable. The Falcons have a rookie punter in Matt Bosher and while he has improved the past couple of weeks, one shank could have been disastrous. But not as disastrous as failing to convert on fourth down
The Falcons defense had just forced Brees to go three-and-out on their previous possession and had forced a punt to set up the game-tying field goal in the fourth quarter. It made much more sense to punt the ball and force Brees to go 40-plus yards than risk handing the game to the Saints on a silver platter.
Granted, the Falcons were robbed on a potential first down call on the previous play, which would have completely negated the decision to go for it. But that doesn’t excuse Smith from pushing all of his chips into the center of the pile and saying, “Let it ride!!!” when there was absolutely no reason to do so.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-league/post/falcons-coach-mike-smiths-decision-to-go-for-it-doesnt-add-up/2010/12/20/gIQA6WGbLN_blog.html

You failed to mention that belichick was more successful at converting those 4th downs than not.. so yeah.

So you have an actual stat to back that up, right?  You're not just pulling it out of your ass?

Anybody will tell you that the vast majority of NFL coaches make that same call on fourth down unless they're in dire danger of losing.  The Panthers were winning at the time and the defense was playing well.

But heck, let's just go for it on fourth down every time.  After all, IT'S FOOTBALL! :rolleyes:

So you have an actual stat to back that up, right?  You're not just pulling it out of your ass?

Anybody will tell you that the vast majority of NFL coaches make that same call on fourth down unless they're in dire danger of losing.  The Panthers were winning at the time and the defense was playing well.

But heck, let's just go for it on fourth down every time.  After all, IT'S FOOTBALL! :rolleyes:

I didnt see you post stats either smart ass

4th and 2....up and home against an opponent that wasnt doing much?

That doesn't seem smart....not with how our D was playing. Keep playing field position. Can't set them up

Guess we disagree. Bottom line is we lost with the way we did it. So it didn't work. We will never know what would have happened had we gone for it there :- We needed momentum on offense and failed to get any in the second half. That could have been the spark. Like I said. We will never know. Tired of losing seasons. I hope we win next week.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Archived