• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The final FG

Goondal

After 3rd down my brother and I both said immediately "go for it."  Rivera did not, we lost.  Of course, nobody can really fault him for it.  Most nobody, at least not someone who reached HC in the NFL would have gone for the win there.  My question is, who here would have?  With our track record in close games, I would have in a heart beat.  Get beat trying to win dammit.

I understand why 95% of people would not have and also why Rivera did not.  Rivera coahces by the book, but as with many cases, I feel the book is wrong.  Winning by 1-2, of course, kick the FG so a FG does not beat you.  Winning by three, with Cam at QB, I am going for the win.

This is not something I am critical of Rivera over (there are plenty of other reasons) because even Belicheck would likely have kicked a FG, but I would love to have a coach that would take a chance from time to time.

To me it wasn't so much the field goal, I probably would have kicked it to. What pissed me off was running it up the gut on third and 5 against a stacked box. They had a timeout, so they were going to stop the clock anyways. Throw the ball and try and pick up a first. They were playing for a field goal the whole time (aka trying not to lose)

A good head coach has to take the entire game into context and apply an appropriate course of action when dealt with a situation like that one.

Our secondary was depleted (on top of being 2nd rate), the Bills offense had shown signs that it was capable of taking it down the field for a score, and our offense was driving it pretty good on the ground prior to the 4th and 1.

Consider all those things and you should ignore what the book says. Go for it...because being up by 6 with 1:30 left is no guarantee anymore.

Archived