• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who do you want if Peppers Signs Extension

QuasiYoda

So if Peppers signs extended contract, frees up Cap Space . . . Who do you want on the Defensive Side or Offensive Side. I'm thinkin the Defensive side with it's new coordinator, Meeks, may get the love so as to express his vision. Although the O-line could use another versatile Back up

Best Available Free Agents-Defense

http://car.scout.com/a.z?s=123&p=2&c=876700

Best Available Free Agents-Offense

http://car.scout.com/a.z?s=123&p=2&c=876698

What is available in those 2 areas according to the link in the Original Post

Defensive Tackle available

Dewayne Robertson (DE in 3-4) - Former first-round pick of the New York Jets who has underachieved, but has experience in 3-4 and 4-3 schemes.

John Thornton- Probably could still start if needed.

Brian Young - Coming off of knee problems, but offers a solid role as a top backup if healthy.

Darwin Walker - Fits in as a backup at this point in his career.

Hollis Thomas - Mammoth DT who fits in as a third or fourth tackle.

Ellis Wyms (DE) - Versatile, solid backup or could start for a while if needed.

Kindal Moorehead - Fits in as a fourth tackle.

Antwan Lake - Fits in as a fourth tackle.

Kenderick Allen/UFA - Fits in as a fourth tackle.

James Reed/UFA - Fits in as a fourth tackle.

Langston Moore - Fits in as a fourth of fifth tackle.

Jeff Zgonina/UFA - Veteran interior player who may retire.

Cornerback

Dunta Robinson/Houston Texans (franchise player)

Mike McKenzie - It's questionable whether he'll be able to find a starting role.

Chris McAlister - May be asked to play safety.

Patrick Surtain - Probably a nickel back these days.

Travis Fisher - Starting days are probably over.

Ty Law - Best used in a nickel situation. Law is a smart player who could help a young secondary.

Fakhir Brown - Probably not a starter these days.

Adam Jones (KR/PR) - Troubled, but talented DB who probably needs to play in a nickel role. His return ability should get him some attention.

Brian Kelly - Veteran cornerback who fits in a nickel role.

David Barrett - Fits in well as a nickel back.

Michael Lehan - Good-sized nickel cornerback.

Ricky Manning, Jr. - Scappy nickel cornerback.

Deltha O'Neal - Nickel cornerback at this point in his career.

Jason Webster - Talented, but bad luck with injuries have limited Webster's career.

Jason Craft - Can handle a nickel role.

Daven Holly - Young cornerback who needs to prove he's all the way back from his ACL injury.

R.W. McQuarters (PR) - Can probably handle a nickel role.

David Macklin - Serviceable dime cornerback.

Sam Madison - Like many veterans on this list, best used in a dime defense.

Lewis Sanders - Big defensive back who may have to play safety at some point in order to get a job.

Reynaldo Hill - Basically a dime cornerback.

Stanley Wilson - Dime cornerback.

Will James - Never the same since suffering a neck injury earlier in his career with the Giants.

Aaron Glenn - Was once one of the top cornerbacks some years ago, but is now just a dime cornerback.

I would like to see a CB but don't like what is out there. I like our d-line A LOT now. LB's look great to me. RB's look to be stacked. Plenty of TE's to choose from. Kicking game is solid (should be with 4 dudes). WR or Oline is all that is really left and I believe we whuod go OL jsut because we know we have a ruinning game that works when they are healthy (plus we are realkly light there depth-wise and I believe Jarret will have a good year for us not to mention Robinson.

Find us an interior backup and spend your money wisely Marty, provided it shows up.

Personally, I'd feel a lot better if we invested in some depth for the O-Line. We lost a lot of guys who stepped up when the starters went down last year, and I think it would be a smart move to try and restock the pantry with some quality meat if any of the Big Uglies go down (God forbid...).

I wouldn't be surprised if the Panthers signed a player like Melvin Fowler or Jason Whittle to be the backup Center/Guard. I think that all depends on how the team feels about some of their younger backups.

On the Defense, the only players I see that I think would actually be an upgrade to what we have now would be Dewayne Robertson at DT and Derrik Brooks at WLB to replace Anderson as the backup. I'm not sure if Brooks would be willing to play if not starting but that would be a move that for the right price could really help with the defense learning Meeks' new system.

Personally, I'd feel a lot better if we invested in some depth for the O-Line. We lost a lot of guys who stepped up when the starters went down last year, and I think it would be a smart move to try and restock the pantry with some quality meat if any of the Big Uglies go down (God forbid...).

The thing about the guys we lost on the o-line is that they were all three unkown talents when they came to the Panthers. At this point if Davidson has trust in the young, unproven guys on the line I will trust his judgement.

But like I said earlier, I could see a signing or two (although I think two would be a worst case senerio) if the younger guys don't step up at the first of training camp.

So if Peppers signs extended contract, frees up Cap Space . . . Who do you want on the Defensive Side or Offensive Side. I'm thinkin the Defensive side with it's new coordinator, Meeks, may get the love so as to express his vision. Although the O-line could use another versatile Back up

Best Available Free Agents-Defense

http://car.scout.com/a.z?s=123&p=2&c=876700

Best Available Free Agents-Offense

http://car.scout.com/a.z?s=123&p=2&c=876698

the one thing i want is too see peppers and brown or johnson have that DE combo that you just dont see in the NFL anymore..

Archived