• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What coaches could we lose next year?

bababoey

With the defense playing they way they are right now how likely is that sean McDermott goes somewhere and becomes a head coach? 

I say right now about 50/50.  He was looked at as a head coaching candiate before we hired Riverboat Ron but many felt like he was not ready then.  I don't think they will have the same problem now.  Tampa comes to mind first off.  Probally what we will do is just more Wilks in the D-coordinator spot ( which Ron tired to do before he hired McDermott but the Chargers would not let him out of his contract).

I think Shula is safe (thanks Alabama).  Is there any one else you think we might lose in the offseason to either a head coaching position or a coordinator position with another team? 

I don't think we have to worry about either coordinator getting a HC gig any time soon.  Regardless, everybody knows this is Rons defense so who cares if McDermott leaves anyway?

That's a factor that may well make it difficult for McDermott to get a head coaching job.

Ahem.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Linebacker Thomas Davis was explaining how he got two sacks in Sunday's 35-10 victory over the Minnesota Vikings, giving all the credit to Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator Sean McDermott for putting him in the right position.

"You don't have to say that because I'm standing here," shouted McDermott, about 15 feet away.

Thomas continued to wax eloquent on the 39-year-old coach as he dressed in the visitors locker room at the Minneapolis Metrodome.

"He's a defensive guru," he said.

---

And if you ask anyone else on the NFL's third-ranked defense, he will give credit to McDermott and his staff as well.

"A beast," end Greg Hardy said when asked to describe McDermott.

If you know Hardy, that is the ultimate compliment. It's the same praise he gave to Minnesota's Adrian Peterson, whom he considers the best running back in the league.

Hardy also referred to McDermott as the "offensive coordinator of the No. 3 defense in the NFL," an apt description because offensive coordinators typically are given more credit for calling plays and designing schemes.

http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/1321/mcdermott-is-master-of-carolina-d

I guess you guys know more than TD and Greg Hardy about who this defense belongs to.

I probably shouldn't take TD for his word ever again, then.

Ahem.

http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/1321/mcdermott-is-master-of-carolina-d

I guess you guys know more than TD and Greg Hardy about who this defense belongs to.

I probably shouldn't take TD for his word ever again, then.

Not at all. But there's reality and there's perception. Other teams looking at it from the outside are always gonna wonder.

Look at it from the flipside: Would you hire Sean Payton's offensive coordinator?

Not at all. But there's reality and there's perception. Other teams looking at it from the outside are always gonna wonder.

Look at it from the flipside: Would you hire Sean Payton's offensive coordinator?

Pete Carmichael? Yeah, I probably would, honestly. Hell, even Aaron Kromer got a promotion to offensive coordinator, with a head coaching job looming his future.

Besides, it doesn't matter what any outsider has to say about it. Two guys in the locker-room, on the defense, have spoken out about it. Case closed.

I didn't mean to imply McDermott is sitting on the sideline eating ice cream watching the game with the rest of us or that he sleeps in late during the week and when he finally ambles in contributes nothing to the team.  However, Ron has been the architect of multiple top 5 defenses in the past while McDermott has not so we are left with two options.  Either Ron is primarily pulling the strings (with McDermotts assistance of course) as far as getting this teams defense ready to play at the same elite level he has achieved many times in the past or McDermott has finally figured it out all on his own and is doing it all by himself while Ron studies 4th down strategies.  I'm going with the former alternative.

Archived