• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Good write up on Inconsistency with Rules in NFL

L-TownCat

I know we all hate PFT and Florio, but this was actually pretty good for the most part.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/25/nfl-morning-after-bad-rules-a-big-problem-for-the-nfl/

Referees are out of position even when they’re in position. Miami’s Cameron Wake lowered his helmet and drilled Carolina’s Cam Newton in the chin, and Newton ended up spitting out blood. It was a clear penalty on Wake, but the referee didn’t throw the flag. Why? Former NFL head of officiating Mike Pereira said the ref was positioned exactly where he’s supposed to be, but just didn’t see it. But if that’s the case, the NFL needs to have an official positioned in a place where he will see a hit like that, or make hits to the head of quarterbacks reviewable on instant replay.

Wonder if we as fans could do something to let Goodell know that the current officiating with all it's inconsistencies is unacceptable. There really need to be some better checks and balances and less of an emphasis on flagging things that just 'look violent' simply because they look that way even if clean.

Have fans really been able to change anything once these dunces get it in their head to do things a certain way?

I heard Pereira and Ryan both make an excuse that the ref "didn't see it because Cam is too big" and fuging laughed. Cam was obviously shaken up after that play and I can assure you that it that hit happens to Peyton or Brady the refs WOULD have seen it

it would have been a late flag because................ both of them would have been unconscious.

This article is 100% spot on.   This is really killing the NFL.  Games are too often being decided by officiating and not the play on the field.  The NFL is slowly becoming the NBA, but at least the draft is better than the lottery lol.   They need to take a long hard look at these rules.  

I also don't understand why everything isn't challengeable and why any call goes wrong when there are 200 cameras on the field.  I know people like tradition, but I want a crew upstairs watching the game to be able to stop the game after a call and review on their own accord when they see things different.   Example would be Cam getting hit in the chin.  Everyone on TV clearly seen this, so why can't we have someone in a booth pause the game and explain what happened.  

I heard Pereira and Ryan both make an excuse that the ref "didn't see it because Cam is too big" and fuging laughed. Cam was obviously shaken up after that play and I can assure you that it that hit happens to Peyton or Brady the refs WOULD have seen it. 

Peyton's head would have come completely off of his neck and Brady would have had to go to the hospital to have another tampon surgically grafted to his full body vagina.

This article is 100% spot on.   This is really killing the NFL.  Games are too often being decided by officiating and not the play on the field.  The NFL is slowly becoming the NBA, but at least the draft is better than the lottery lol.   They need to take a long hard look at these rules.  

I also don't understand why everything isn't challengeable and why any call goes wrong when there are 200 cameras on the field.  I know people like tradition, but I want a crew upstairs watching the game to be able to stop the game after a call and review on their own accord when they see things different.   Example would be Cam getting hit in the chin.  Everyone on TV clearly seen this, so why can't we have someone in a booth pause the game and explain what happened.  

Officiating is bad. It just feels good to be on the other end of these calls finally.  College basketball officiating as a whole needs to be examined as well. 

I'm still wondering how the refs overturned the incomplete pass in the 4th quarter. The ball was clearly not controlled through the catch. How in the world does the ref miss that with multiple replays?

That missed call could have changed the outcome of the game.

I honestly believe they didn't look at that. They only looked at whether he had both feet in bounds. That is the only way they could have missed that IMO

I'm still wondering how the refs overturned the incomplete pass in the 4th quarter.  The ball was clearly not controlled through the catch.  How in the world does the ref miss that with multiple replays? 

That missed call could have changed the outcome of the game.

Yeah I think the most confusing rule is "what is a catch?"

Vernon Davis in the 49ers game, was NOT a catch, despite the guy turning and taking like 3 steps.   Then in the Miami game, it's a catch but falls out upon hitting the ground.

I honestly believe they didn't look at that. They only looked at whether he had both feet in bounds. That is the only way they could have missed that IMO

Yeah that is the only explanation...which is terrible for the refs because every catch must be controlled all the way through.  It's basic at this point.  Ever since the Megatron play where he stood up and dropped the ball, everyone knows the rule about maintaining control throughout the play.

Archived