• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cap numbers for 2014 offseason?

Pantherman

Hardy turned down $8mill so you give him $10 hope he takes it why can't you franchise tag cam?

Cam's still under contract this upcoming year. We have an option year in 2015 also. But just to play along, let's say his deal was up and he hadn't re-signed. The franchise tags for QB's is probably around $16 or $17 million, and there is no way to massage the number to make the cap hit less. All the franchise tag does is prevent you from losing a player that wants to leave. It not only gives you no help against the cap, it usually is the most expensive option from a cap standpoint.

Earlier in the thread, someone doubted that certain players would re-structure their deals again to lessen the cap hit. When players re-structure, it typically is not any kind of pay cut, so players are happy to do it.

Just wanted to clear up these misconceptions.

As it stands were about $23 mil under the cap, but we do not need to enter negotiations with cam until end of 2015 season so no pressure this offseason for that.

I think hardy will be a no brainer although he and his agent have already turned down $8 mil earlier in the season rumour has it, seems as CJ and Jstew Kalil restructured this offseason I can't see them taking anymore cuts although I may be wrong.

On that list id keep ginn mitchell mikkel gano wharton. smitty and gross one one more year deals, although if be tempted to move gross over to right tackle.

We will seek Oline men in the draft you can bet your life on that, gettlemans philosophy is big guys in the line on both sides of the ball so I honestly think he may double dip again for a tackle and a guard.

Free agency is tricky with lack of cap space, I'd like to see us make a play for tiquan underwood who's free from bucs this year he would add a tall deep threat and be a cheap option, also Macklin from the eagles would be an upgrade on what we got this year.

But I heard a strong rumour the panthers don't expect to see Lee or Watkins stil be there and there hot on the kid moncrief, id be happy with him.

Smitty is under contract till 2015

I hate when people say there's no pressure to start negotiations with Cam. That's so fuging ignorant and asinine. You've got a guy who has turned into one of the best young Quarterbacks in the game and you have a rare opportunity to lock him up on a deal that could seem like a HUGE discount a year from now, but there's no pressure? Just ridiculous. If Cam is willing to do a deal this off season we need to get it done, because it will only get more expensive from here on out....

I hate when people say there's no pressure to start negotiations with Cam. That's so fuging ignorant and asinine. You've got a guy who has turned into one of the best young Quarterbacks in the game and you have a rare opportunity to lock him up on a deal that could seem like a HUGE discount a year from now, but there's no pressure? Just ridiculous. If Cam is willing to do a deal this off season we need to get it done, because it will only get more expensive from here on out....

/thread

Sent from the Carolina Huddle App

You got two ways of looking at this. You offer cam the deal now and make him wait go a supporting cast and never see the best of him or you get him some good players around him and convince him this is the place to be for his career! You any do both at the same time that's all my point is, if sign him in a heartbeat he's a great prospect but I any see how we get him and hardy done this off season aswel as address other needs that cam will no doubt have issues with anyway like a receiver he can throw to who actually catches the ball

You got two ways of looking at this. You offer cam the deal now and make him wait go a supporting cast and never see the best of him or you get him some good players around him and convince him this is the place to be for his career! You any do both at the same time that's all my point is, if sign him in a heartbeat he's a great prospect but I any see how we get him and hardy done this off season aswel as address other needs that cam will no doubt have issues with anyway like a receiver he can throw to who actually catches the ball

Because we're not capable of drafting offensive players to help Cam or something? 

Cam can wait a year... we are dealing with dead cap hang over from hurney. be lucky to retain greg hardy our premier pass rusher. not to mention great role guys like mike mitchell and teddy ginn + our 2014 rookies

G man got this. Dnt forget that now that were relevent I dont think Hardy or others will want to leave what they built.

Hardy is going to need 10 mil. maybe CJ likes him enough to restructure a little bit

Its important to get Cam locked now also. Were knocking on the superbowl now. Next year could be a Joe Flacco situation

Archived