• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Alien: Isolation - early reviews...but I'm excited

dos poptarts

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/07/alien-isolation-the-most-authentic-alien-game-ever

You get a motion tracker and torch. No weapons. One alien that's hunting you.

Edit: btw you play as Amanda Ripley, the daughter, who has gone looking for her mom.

I'm not much of a fan of survivor/horror gameplay but some of the vids with the Alien background music started giving me the creeps. More gameplay in the IGN article, but here's a youtube trailer.

Tired of the lack of innovation in the stories (more Ripley, etc.), but the game itself looks promising and that's what counts. I think Sega will be treading lightly after the debacle that was Colonial Marines.

Alien without Ripley is like Dracula without Van Helsing.

deviating here...but I always thought the Aliens series from DarkHorse comics was a great story idea. Of course Alien 3 fugged it all up by killing Newt and Hicks. Though I don't see why you couldn't reboot and discard Alien3 on.

They did that in the novels - bascially turned Newt and Hicks into Billie and Wilks and re-vamped some of the stories.  That's the kind of stuff that I'd like to see rather than re-hashing characters and storylines that are already more or less complete.  That said, at least they've chosen a setting and time period that is a void within the canon.

While I'm not a huge fan of survival horror games, I dig this. 1) it's beautiful, and 2) Maybe the franchise games need a major course correction in order to get back on course. Because while you would think that Marines shooting predators, who are hunting aliens, who are eating humans would be a can't miss proposition, the last few entries in the gaming oeuvre have been absolute train wrecks. Maybe testing the waters of a new game genre is just the ticket. I like the character who is canon, but still fresh. And it does get back to the Gothic Horror heart of Scott's original rather than Cameron's Sci-Fi Military offering (Although it was undeniably the best of the series).

If the reviews are even marginally better than average, I will be investing in this one.

• 2 months later...

Looks like the current release date is Oct. 7. Every reviewer I've seen who has played the current demo has said it scared the crap out of them... while certainly promising, looking forward to the final reviews. Would be nice if they released a demo to the general public given the debacle that was A:CM.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived