• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

That moment when you realize SIONE FUA may get a ring before Cam

cardiackat88.

Easy enough.

Career Season Avg:

57% Cmp, 3217 Yd, 18 TD, 14 Int, 79.9 Rtg

4.4 ypc, 213 Yd, 2 TD

Career Playoff Avg (per game):

54.5% Cmp, 1.2 TD, 1.0 Int, 79.7 Rtg

--did not throw for 22 TD until his 11th season

--QBs have thrown for 28+ TD over 100 times, Elway is not on that list

--hit 60% completion in only 3 of 16 seasons

--in '93 he led the league in completions (438) & yards (4,030). Other than that, he never led the league in any major passing category (completions, yards, TD, passer rating)

--he is 44th all-time on the passer rating list (79.9), which is one spot ahead of his '83 classmate Tony Eason (79.7)

--owns 3 of the worst QB performances in Super Bowl history, debatable if he ever wins any without T Davis & Shanahan

John Elway is generally presented as a top 5 all-time QB by fans and the media. If that's the case then Cam Newton is already the most underrated football player of all-time.

Elway's top 3 years ('93 yr 11, '96 yr 14, '97 yr 15)

vs

Newton's first 3 years

John Elway: 11,613 Yd, 83 TD, 50 turnovers

Cam Newton: 13,364 Yd, 92 TD, 48 turnovers

Elway:: 60% Cmp, 10,993 Yd, 78 TD, 35 Int, 88.7 Rtg

Newton: 60% Cmp, 11,299 Yd, 64 TD, 42 Int, 86.4 Rtg

Elway:: 4.3 ypc, 620 Yd, 5 TD, 25 Fmb (15 lost)

Newton: 5.6 ypc, 2,032 Yd, 28 TD, 18 Fmb (6 lost)

I get your point, but to call Elway "mediocre" is a bit harsh. Though I do believe he is (was) overrated, he did have staying power and perhaps a few other intangibles much like Brett Favre.  Marino, Montana, and even Dan Fouts were light years ahead of him in my opinion. Do keep in mind that QBs back then weren't being protected with all the pussyfied rules they have today.

Preach it, brother.

Per 16 Start Avg:

John Elway: 57% Cmp 3534 Yd 21 TD 16 Int

B Johnson: 62% Cmp 3719 Yd 21 TD 15 Int

Super Bowl Avg:

John Elway: 50% Cmp, 282 Yd, 0.6 TD, 1.6 Int

B Johnson: 53% Cmp, 215 Yd, 2 TD, 1 Int

He went to 5 Super Bowls, winning the last 2. You don't get to the big stage five times as a mediocre QB. By definition, mediocre means you're not very good. You're insane if you don't think Elway was good.

Elway was clutch. When it mattered most, he won the game. He's 3rd all time for game winning drives and 4th quarter comebacks, second only to Manning and Marino. If you don't think that matters, then I don't know what to tell ya. We're not saying he's the best QB of all time, but to say he is mediocre? That's just laughable. You must be a new fan to the game.

Guest Dark Knight

He went to 5 Super Bowls, winning the last 2. You don't get to the big stage five times as a mediocre QB. By definition, mediocre means you're not very good. You're insane if you don't think Elway was good.

Elway was clutch. When it mattered most, he won the game. He's 3rd all time for game winning drives and 4th quarter comebacks, second only to Manning and Marino. If you don't think that matters, then I don't know what to tell ya. We're not saying he's the best QB of all time, but to say he is mediocre? That's just laughable. You must be a new fan to the game.

Playoffs Avg...

54% completion, 1.2 TD, 1.0 Int

... it's a mystery how he got to 5 SBs

SB Avg...

50% completion, 0.6 TD, 1.6 Int

... not so much a mystery as to why he lost 3 times

my guess is, he is a younger guy that wasnt watching football back then, and went to nfl.com and gathered all the stats and compared him to today's QB pass heavy stats.  the game favored the defenses back then and his best wr's were rod smith and shannon sharpe, and that was not until the mid 90's.  under crunchtime, very few were more clutch than Elway.  The eye test defeats straight stats in this instance.

Guest Dark Knight

stats are for trolls, hhhhhmmmmmmmm I wonder who batman is?

Andrew Luck: 1 playoff win

Cam Newton: 0 playoff win

Andrew Luck: 1 neck beard

Cam Newton: 0 neck beard

YOU CAN'T ARGUE WITH FACTS

First of all you have to remember that quarterbacks who played when Elway did, are not going to have the stats compared to modern day guys.  The rules are so much different.  Secondly Hall of fame careers are built on Superbowls and longevity as much as anything.  Elway played for 16 seasons in Denver which by nature of the weather means he played in crappy weather a lot of the time.  You also have to look at the difference between the beginning of his career and the end of it. In his first 5 years he threw 85 TDS and 77 INTs.  In his last 5 years he had 117 TDs and 59 INTs.  Elway wasn't that great all through his career, but he improved and had a number of clutch performances later in his career.  Plus he threw for 51000 yards and averaged over 7 yards an attempt.  Big numbers for an extended time when most quarterbacks didn't put up huge numbers.  Add in 2 back to back super wins, and there you have it.

Archived