• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NASCAR announces overhaul to Chase format

charlotte49er

More like they want Jr to get his #1.

I don't think it does anything but hurt his chances at ever getting one. The last two seasons he's ran in the top 10 for the most part but doesn't have that many wins. This pretty much puts the focus on winning a race during the season, then during each of the rounds of the Chase and then finally once again winning the final race of the season. 

More like they want Jr to get his #1.

Yeah, He would have won it last year under the new points system....

New points system, Earnhardt Jr. would had won championship in 2013: In announcing major changes to the Chase for the Sprint Cup on Thursday, NASCAR chairman Brian France touted an emphasis on winning as a primary reason behind the format. But it turns out last year's champion, if the new rules were applied, would have been #88-Dale Earnhardt Jr., who didn't win a race. According to economist Andrew Maness, who runs the nascarnomics.com site, Earnhardt would have made the final race along with Jimmie Johnson, Kevin Harvick and Jeff Gordon. NASCAR's Mike Forde confirmed the lineup. The driver who won the most races last season, Matt Kenseth with seven, would not have been eligible for the season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway.(USA Today)(1-31-2014)

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#20140131f

Why don't they go even further with this idiocy.

1.  If there is ever a rainout after going halfway, then they look at the date, even or odd, if even, then the top running car with an even number wins and vice versa.

2.  Have the poll position determined by which driver eats the most hot wings the night before.  You know 36 wings and you are on the poll, 20 wings and you are in the middle of the pack.  Will also make things a bit more interesting the next day during the race too, if you know what I mean.

3.  Hottest wives and girlfriends contest.  Each week, they alternate from bikini, to wet t shirt, to dance contests with each driver getting bonus points from where his girl finishes.

I know that none of these have anything to do with actual racing, but then nothing Nascar has done for 10 years has either, so I will see if I can get some of these picked up by Mr France

With 16 in the mix it's like children all getting a trophy.  Make all the fans happy so they all come to the track.  What a mess.

The new qualifying appears open to manipulation without the checkbooks of Penske and spins of MWR (unless of course Clint spins out JJ).  It takes racing out of the hands of the drivers and puts it into many others hands.

The one race takes all crap is bs.  I can see where media and lesser drivers might like rolling the dice, but to me it keeps getting further and further from driver/crew and lets give everyone a chance whether they deserve it or not.  Why should I watch this?  It's aimed at the fan who knows nothing and obviously the team and driver that can't cut consistency.

It does "look" like they do not want to see JJ win another championship...whether or not that's true.  

Lets give everyone a prize lol.

2.  Have the poll position determined by which driver eats the most hot wings the night before.  You know 36 wings and you are on the poll, 20 wings and you are in the middle of the pack.  Will also make things a bit more interesting the next day during the race too, if you know what I mean.

Damn, then Stewart would start 1st every week.

I don't think it does anything but hurt his chances at ever getting one. The last two seasons he's ran in the top 10 for the most part but doesn't have that many wins. This pretty much puts the focus on winning a race during the season, then during each of the rounds of the Chase and then finally once again winning the final race of the season. 

Honestly I think that the only race you have to win is the last one.  With 16 entries, if he has the same type of season as last year he will be in, win or no win.  Then for three three race stretches all you have to do is outperform three of the remaining drivers, something that is very possible if you keep finishing top ten, win or no win.

In the previous format you had to be the best for ten races, which he is not capable of.  In this format you just have to not be one of the three worst for three races, repeated three times, which he is fully capable of.  Then you are all square at Homestead as opposed to far behind those that dominated for nine races.

I think these changes are idiotic.  First, the sixteen drivers just waters things down even more.  As a McMurray fan it is nice that he has a better chance to finally make it but with this many drivers getting in I am not sure it means as much.

The knock-out crap is just dumb.  They already have one to begin with, if you suck then you are eliminated, if not you remain in contention.  Knocking drivers out every three races means the best drivers may not even make it.  Can you imagine if a couple years back if Edwards or Stewert got taken out in the big one at Talladega because some idiot like Montoya did something stupid?  Now one of the top two drivers is eliminated with four races to go.

As for the winner takes all, we all know how dumb it is.  If they plan on keeping it at the same track every year then not only is it dumb, it provides an amazing competitive advantage to some.

The desperation from NASCAR is hilarious. They know their product is terrible right now so might as well fug with it some more just to see what happens.

With that said, I think it *could* be an interesting addition. Something new always stirs interest. But it will get old and dry in a few years once they find out Junior can't win with the current formula and they'll have to try something else. They've gotten themselves in such a vicious cycle with this chase and crappy car that they will try anything to stay relevant.

Archived