• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would you trade Charles Johnson to keep Greg Hardy?

Vagrant

CJ Deal is not out of line.  Dwill and Stewart are based on the fact that there are 2 of them.

CJ's contract was several million a year higher than what his true market would have been.  However, given the circumstances that season we could NOT let him get away....especially given that he would have gone to Atlanta.

We paid a premium to ensure we locked him up.

What team could/would trade to take on that kind of contract? Oakland maybe. But then we would have to turn around and give that same kind of money to Hardy. So what would that really net us? I'm not trashing Hardy. He's a very good player but he also benefitted from CJ and Star.

Unfortunately giving him the kind of contract he's asking for would hamstring this team beyond belief. Rivera(and staff) developed Hardy into what he is now from a 6th rd pick.

I do not get why people are so scared that he can't do that again with Alexander or the other young guys. It's not like he was an elite level  talent. He's a young player that we developed and got production out of on the cheap. With the salary cap that's what good teams have to do. Now he's wanting franchise player type money, of course he does and good for him. But now we have to do the other  thing  every year contenders(i.e. New England) do. Cut the heart strings and let that player walk

This is what we've always been too loyal and afraid to do with good players  and we overpay and hamstring our team. Gettleman is too smart to do that. That's why people are saying he will/should  go. It's just logical. Now if Hardy was willing to take a much less contract than CJ then MAYBE it would be worth the hassle, but he's not(nor should he be).  I personally would rather the team make the decision early on so they can focus on addressing the offense and secondary instead of a position Rivera has shown he can coach up.

hard to argue CJ isn't a bigger part of this defense.  the DL suffered with him out of the game and Hardy didn't make that up.

You need a guy like CJ who brings stability, big time leadership, and consistency at DE.  You also need that crazy motherfuger who is ready to go out and deliver blood to his enemies..

unfortunately we may not be able to keep both.   Hardy still isn't as good as CJ week in and week out..  Hardy also doesn't cover up CJ's leadship, as much as we love Hardy's intangibles.. 

Archived