• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Next Steve Smith

JawnyBlaze

..is not Cooks, is not Ellington, or any of these other really small guys.  If ANYONE in this draft compares to Smitty, in my opinion it's OBJ.

Yea, OBJ is smallish like Steve, but that's not where I'm drawing the comparison.  He's not even SUPER small or anything, just a couple inches under the ideal minimum.  Build-wise, he's more compact and "stocky" like Smitty, not skinny like Cooks or Tavon Austin or any of these other little guys compared to Smitty lately.  In his game, watch his cuts after catching a hook or a curl.  Numerous times in that video I thought I was looking at alternate universe Steve the way he caught the curl, and juked back the opposite way to pick up a lot of extra yards.  Not a jitterbug like Reggie Bush or Cooks or Austin but good elusiveness like Steve.  Good at just slipping through tackle attempts, being just out of reach to get a good hold on.  Great body control.  Hands like glue.  Very good routes.  Good at high pointing the ball, good hops for his size (though I haven't seen anything to indicate he's as quite good as Smitty at this).  From what little I could tell, seems to be a bit fiery too (though maybe I'm trying to see that one, to further the parallels).  He doesn't so much have long speed like a Cordarelle Patterson or Calvin Johnson, he's got "not gonna get caught from behind" speed and shiftyness. 

In short, I'm not saying "omg guys this IS the next Steve Smith!"  But of all the WRs to come out in the past few years, I'd say he's the closest I've seen.  Like him a lot, one of my top choices at #28 if he's there (I think he could very easily be the third or fourth WR taken).

That pretty much sounds exactly like Ellington.  Not saying either is the next Smitty fwiw.  

My favorite thing about OBJ is his route running, quickness, and his hands. 

would fit well into out offense. 

He has that nice burst of speed when getting separation from a CB.He is good. He may not have as much of that big play ability as Cooks but with his build I feel like he will get more targets and will be more durable.

He has that nice burst of speed when getting separation from a CB.He is good. He may not have as much of that big play ability as Cooks but with his build I feel like he will get more targets and will be more durable.

Yeah man. Route running for me is huge. It seems like its the slower type possession guys (cotchery) that are great at route running, but this guy has great hands, and is great at routes, AND very quick and shifty.

Would love to be paired up with Cam. That's where chemistry is build. Trust in knowing where your guy would be.

Doesn't even bother me that he's a tad small, the rest of the guys on our roster or pretty big.

You'd have to imagine either OBJ or Cooks will be available when we pick.  Just hoping we'd actually grab 'em

I personally like OBJ better only because of the weight Cooks. At the pro level cbs jam these small guy at the line of scrimmage much like they did to T Austin.You would really have to work out ways to get Cooks in space but if you can he is gone.I just do not have the confidence in our OC to create play where he would flourish.Cooks would be a beast in NE or Denver

We did a poor job last year of getting K Barner in space 

Yeah man. Route running for me is huge. It seems like its the slower type possession guys (cotchery) that are great at route running, but this guy has great hands, and is great at routes, AND very quick and shifty.

Would love to be paired up with Cam. That's where chemistry is build. Trust in knowing where your guy would be.

Doesn't even bother me that he's a tad small, the rest of the guys on our roster or pretty big.

I agree. Lets just hope that Getts has a plan for our OL that does mean picking a OT with the 1st pick

The thing about Cooks that worries me is he doesn't consistently make catches in tight spaces

He is basically off my board

If OBJ comes here - we very well could force feed him and he would probably an instant fan favorite. Potential Instant production.

a good receiver but NOT the next steve smith @ least in terms of play style.. Smitty was ALOT stronger, more agile, faster and lighter coming out of college which is apparent in his game. Closest thing i've seen to smity is Cooks. He's got better hands, same speed, taller, almost same weight, and almost as strong.

i want this guy over watkins even. call me insane idgaf.

i've become obsessed with this guy for the past couple of weeks. if he's there at 28 i will die.

this guy is going to be special at the next level.

i know you don't give a fug but you're insane. sammy watkins is straight up unbelievable.

that said, i think OBJ is a beast. he looks more explosive than cooks, which i think is where OP is drawing the smitty comparisons. doesn't he have freakishly sized hands too? i remember reading something about it.

i know you don't give a fug but you're insane. sammy watkins is straight up unbelievable.

that said, i think OBJ is a beast. he looks more explosive than cooks, which i think is where OP is drawing the smitty comparisons. doesn't he have freakishly sized hands too? i remember reading something about it.

He has Hakeem nicks massive type hands

Archived