• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Intent of the LT position

Gin and Juice

I still cannot help but think about how poorly this team has done at developing and evaluating OL talent on our own roster.  Imagine if we have Evan Mathis and Geoff Schwartz here right now?  We would have focused on T in the past 2 drafts

I still cannot help but think about how poorly this team has done at developing and evaluating OL talent on our own roster. Imagine if we have Evan Mathis and Geoff Schwartz here right now? We would have focused on T in the past 2 drafts

Im not arguing with you, but for the sake of discussion, haven't our youngsters had a hard time staying healthy? Gary Williams and Amini? And I guess you could include Kug. Bell is the only guy who can stay on the field, but you can argue that he hasn't really developed.

Bahumbug if this turns out as the solution to LT. Let's say Dave stands pat with his "solution is on the roster" approach to oline. Who would be happy with any of these?

Bell-Silatolu/Chandler-Kalil-Kugbilla/Scott-Williams

Chandler-Silatolu-Kalil-Kugbilla-Bell

Chandler-Silatolu-Kaili-Scott-Bell

Option 3 would be the best case and that line would be considered the worst in pro football.

Poor Cam Newton is all I can say. Get the ice bath and MRI machines ready.

He should go ahead and reserve his room at Carolina Medical. 

I think Kubilla was injured taking a dump his first day as a Panther so what good is he?

Im not arguing with you, but for the sake of discussion, haven't our youngsters had a hard time staying healthy? Gary Williams and Amini? And I guess you could include Kug. Bell is the only guy who can stay on the field, but you can argue that he hasn't really developed.

They have.  I guess my point is, had we stayed with Mathis and Schwartz,  we would have a solid G tandem right now, so there would be no Silatolu and Kugbila--we would never have drafted them.  We could have focused on finding a solid RT to eventually replace Gross.  If we had done that, we would be talking about adding a RT to an already stout OL right now.  In fact, that RT could already be on the roster. 

20/20 hindsight, so looking forward:  Silatolu is a very good blocker in open spaces and can be a mauler when he acts like he knows what his job is.  He is fooled a lot with stunts. You can tell by watching his helmet.  If it moves twice, he is confused.  It is OK to lock onto the man you thought you were going to block and when he does not show to quickly turn to where you know the pressure will be when your man goes inside or away--but Silatolu often moves his head twice--and is beaten every time.    Kugbila has the size to be a dominant RG, but we probably should not count on him.  I am not a Scott fan, so I am hoping Bond or Williams steps up as well.

As for Chandler, I have been high on him.  His technique was very solid (I used to coach HS offensive line, so I know a little about it) for a guy who had never played OL at that level.  But he is versatile and his knowledge of the TE position and both sides of the line has to pay off--his key issue is going to be technique.  If Matzko can get his slide step right and teach him angles and drive blocking etc.  He could be good.

With Hardy on the roster, we have a pretty good measuring stick for him.  However, Jared Allen and Von Miller are very different players....

Double dip at OT in the first three rounds and sort out our issues at both LT and RT! Bell and chandler are depth at best on any other team, although I'd give the kid Travis Bond a shot at tackle similar built to Juwan James who's coming out this years draft, but James is better player and projected a third rounder.

They have. I guess my point is, had we stayed with Mathis and Schwartz, we would have a solid G tandem right now, so there would be no Silatolu and Kugbila--we would never have drafted them. We could have focused on finding a solid RT to eventually replace Gross. If we had done that, we would be talking about adding a RT to an already stout OL right now. In fact, that RT could already be on the roster.

20/20 hindsight, so looking forward: Silatolu is a very good blocker in open spaces and can be a mauler when he acts like he knows what his job is. He is fooled a lot with stunts. You can tell by watching his helmet. If it moves twice, he is confused. It is OK to lock onto the man you thought you were going to block and when he does not show to quickly turn to where you know the pressure will be when your man goes inside or away--but Silatolu often moves his head twice--and is beaten every time. Kugbila has the size to be a dominant RG, but we probably should not count on him. I am not a Scott fan, so I am hoping Bond or Williams steps up as well.

As for Chandler, I have been high on him. His technique was very solid (I used to coach HS offensive line, so I know a little about it) for a guy who had never played OL at that level. But he is versatile and his knowledge of the TE position and both sides of the line has to pay off--his key issue is going to be technique. If Matzko can get his slide step right and teach him angles and drive blocking etc. He could be good.

With Hardy on the roster, we have a pretty good measuring stick for him. However, Jared Allen and Von Miller are very different players....

If you're going back that far, the blame is still put on the old staff. But you are exactly right. I'd like to think that rivera and his guys are capable grooming these young guys, but im not so sure. It almost seems like their sole focus is on the defensive side of the ball. I lived overseas during the Mathis and Schwartz years and didn't keep up with much other than sunday games. What happened with those guys? Did we give up on the too soon?

If you're going back that far, the blame is still put on the old staff. But you are exactly right. I'd like to think that rivera and his guys are capable grooming these young guys, but im not so sure. It almost seems like their sole focus is on the defensive side of the ball. I lived overseas during the Mathis and Schwartz years and didn't keep up with much other than sunday games. What happened with those guys? Did we give up on the too soon?

Yes, I am not blaming the current staff.  In fact, If Chandler and Silatolu are indications of what we are doing now, I would say that we are developing our guys. People here just don't get how raw Silatolu was.  Mathis could never break the lineup for whatever reason.  He was let go and became a pro bowler.  Schwartz was simply released and we kept Williams.  I HATED it. Both were Hurney moves.

I thought both had tremendous upside, and then they are gone.  I followed them and they succeeded.  I could add Redskin center Montgomery to this list as well, but he is getting up there in age.  I think he was a G here.

Both Gettleman and Rivera has said that rookies from your first two rounds should be starters. I see no reason not to take them by their word. Whether those guys will be OT's though is more up in the air.

What value do we get at 28? We should be assured of a pretty good player, on a rookie pay scale, who should challenge for a starting spot out of the gate. Oline, WR, CB, S, and TE are all positions where a 1st rounder could take over. Throw in your second, and probably your third. And we should fill out nicely. Like Kim Manzardo in the summer of 69.

So let's see. Star, KK, White, Lester, Barner, Pilares, McNutt, King, Chandler, and KugZilla. All kids with playing time staring them in the face. Throw in our first three draft picks, and that is a poo ton of kids.

The saving grace? By the end of the year. We should have a good handle on who we are, and what our needs are. My hope being we get production from this evaluation period. All the kids push each other, making them all better, and all around more productive, players. That's the dream anywho.

Archived