• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ed Dickson visiting the Panthers

SCP

Personally, I'm interested to see how this affects Brandon Williams.

Williams has all the tools to be an all-around tight end.

Now if Dickson is signed, do the Panthers forego drafting a tight and hope that Williams can become the primary blocking tight end, or do the Panthers snag a tight end in the sixth or seventh round hoping to develop him into the primary blocking tight end thus cutting an end to Williams' short Panthers career. I'm under the impression that the Panthers would not carry four tight ends (Olsen, Dickson, Williams, Rookie).

Or finally, do the Panthers throw a curve ball and possibly move Dickson to the wide receiver position where he could take advantage of match-up problems. This would also allow the Panthers to continually develop Brandon Williams as well as possibly draft a blocking tight end or even keep McNiell as the blocking tight end.

Who knows... It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

The team already signed its primary blocking TE to replace Hartsock.

And signing Dickson won't stop the team from drafting a TE if the value is there.

Yea that's nearly 10%....that's awful...if that isn't awful then what % is fine in your opinion since Olsen is at 3.6%

This signing would be all about potential upside and that's it...hoping that we get something out of him that hasn't really manifested before(aside from a 500 5TD year that ONE time).

This isn't about wow we are getting a solid player or even a good starter...he's someone else's backup....who had issues with drops and trouble blocking...

Even still I would fine with the attempt as we need competition and more options in the receiving area.....it's more of a low risk high reward type of scenario that Gman seems to favor....but people can't sit here and pretend this is something it's not...

Like people blast Nicks or w/e FA because they didn't sign with Carolina then if they would have came here they would have been the poo....this scenario reminds me of that because if some Ed Dickson signed with Tampa or Atlanta pretty much everyone would be like "oh wow haha that guy drops the ball too much haha teh tardz Falconz yall sucks"

I get your point, but i guess that it's all about perspective.

Guys like Anthony Fasano, Kenbrell Thompkins, Aaron Dobson, Davone Bess, Kenny Britt, Tavon Austin and Darrius Heyward-Bey were worse.

Of course I am looking at a list of WRs, TEs and RBs, and DIckson is 69th from the bottom.  Yeah, perhaps "awful" is one way to look at it---the way to look at it.  OK, you've taken some of the shine off, I'll admit.

BTW, Marques Colston has the best hands in the game from what I am looking at (taking out the guys with minuscule targets) . 110 targets (75), only 1 drop.  He had a .09 drop % last year.

I get your point, but i guess that it's all about perspective.

Guys like Anthony Fasano, Kenbrell Thompkins, Aaron Dobson, Davone Bess, Kenny Britt, Tavon Austin and Darrius Heyward-Bey were worse.

Of course I am looking at a list of WRs, TEs and RBs, and DIckson is 69th from the bottom.  Yeah, perhaps "awful" is one way to look at it---the way to look at it.  OK, you've taken some of the shine off, I'll admit.

BTW, Marques Colston has the best hands in the game from what I am looking at (taking out the guys with minuscule targets) . 110 targets (75), only 1 drop.  He had a .09 drop % last year.

Yea the two rookies from the Patriots made some spectacular catches and some spectacular drops...spectacular as in rofl what the fug how did they drop those.

The team already signed its primary blocking TE to replace Hartsock.

And signing Dickson won't stop the team from drafting a TE if the value is there.

So are you implying that Williams may not make the final roster?

I don't want to put words in your mouth that's why I'm asking.

I also don't know if McNeill was signed to be the blocking tight end. Heartsock was one of the best blocking tight ends in the league yet he was not re-signed. I believe it's because he was one-dimensional, and just like Hartsock; McNeill is also one-dimensional.

He only dropped 4 out of 43 last year. Not great, but not horrible. Certainly on the left of the spectrum though.

Olsen by comparison dropped 4 out of 111, but Olsen has great hands compared to most of the league.

First, your numbers are wrong. Second, olsen has one of the highest drop rates of TEs last year. Dickson also has a relatively poor drop rate.

So are you implying that Williams may not make the final roster?

I don't want to put words in your mouth that's why I'm asking.

I also don't know if McNeill was signed to be the blocking tight end. Heartsock was one of the best blocking tight ends in the league yet he was not re-signed. I believe it's because he was one-dimensional, and just like Hartsock; McNeill is also one-dimensional.

If Williams doesn't perform good enough in camp, he'll be cut. Simple as that.

Hartsock is 34, has injury problems and costs more that McNeil cuz he is a 10yr vet. If McNeil doesn't do what the team wants him to do, then he'll be gone, as long as there is someone who does it better.

In a run heavy team, having a 1 dimensional FB/TE isn't that big of a deal(Hartsock and Brockel are both 1 D and kept making the roster)

Right now Brockel is the guy in danger unless that have him as a back up FB.

I can see the team keeping 4 TEs(depends on other positions)

If Williams doesn't perform good enough in camp, he'll be cut. Simple as that.

Hartsock is 34, has injury problems and costs more that McNeil cuz he is a 10yr vet. If McNeil doesn't do what the team wants him to do, then he'll be gone, as long as there is someone who does it better.

In a run heavy team, having a 1 dimensional FB/TE isn't that big of a deal(Hartsock and Brockel are both 1 D and kept making the roster)

Right now Brockel is the guy in danger unless that have him as a back up FB.

I can see the team keeping 4 TEs(depends on other positions)

I pretty much agree with everything you said.

I also believe that Brockel may stick as a full back, but Zordich could give him a run for his money.

First, your numbers are wrong. Second, olsen has one of the highest drop rates of TEs last year. Dickson also has a relatively poor drop rate.

No.

You can look at the stats yourself.  You can hit on the little arrows to organize by alphabetical order in one column and drop rate in the other (in ascending or descending order).

What you're saying isn't correct.

And, frankly, even watching Olsen, you should know that he doesn't let too many get away.

No.

You can look at the stats yourself.  You can hit on the little arrows to organize by alphabetical order in one column and drop rate in the other (in ascending or descending order).

What you're saying isn't correct.

And, frankly, even watching Olsen, you should know that he doesn't let too many get away.

i stand corrected on olsen.  he was middle of the pack for TE drop rate last year.  i was looking at this exact data yesterday, and for some reason was thinking his drop rate was surprisingly high.  its about 6.5% on catchable balls last year.  this data isnt publicly tracked, so any source with this data is going to have slightly different numbers.

but dickson absolutely had the worst rate of any tight end last year, by about 3%.  he dropped 16.7% of catchable balls. he was at a more acceptable 8.5% in 2011.    

for what its worth dallas clark also had a horrible drop rate last year for the ravens - around 11%. pitta though is usually one of if not the best in the league at not dropping balls.  so its hard to sya if any of the fault is on flacco. 

starting to get a feel on how Getty adds to the team.  This guy could be a contributor, 

maybe just on special teams.

He had a down season but could rebound in the right situation. 

He's young enough for us to keep if he performs.

He's got winning playoff experience.

He's cheap.

I know a lot of you are pissed at the Gman, but he is laying groundwork for the future through smart moves with flexibility.  

Archived