• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

tell me about your se asia trips

Fiz

ps

1) learn a little local language, the smallest effort will yield you great results

2) bottled water is your friend

3) when you go to chiang mai order sticky rice with grilled chicken at street vendors, "kao nee-o gai yahng." great poo, seriously

4) don't take pictures of hookers, the thai mafia will get up your ass about it

5) if you run into trouble anywhere in cambodia, seriously, PM me, i have a massive network of friends over there that will drop everything and help out

6) singapore is boring

7) take a few riverboat rides on the chao phraya in bangkok, it's something else

8) buy me that goddamn sutra

I'm going on July 9. PhillyB has all the knowledge.

wicked! have you settled on an itinerary? if i do end up in indonesia this summer there's a small chance i will be routing through SEA proper to get to borneo, around that time, if our paths somehow cross i will buy you a beer or four. there's nothing quite as awesome as running into someone from back home when you're trekking a foreign land.

I can speak/understand like 10 words in Khmer (Cambodian). Will make my way to Ankor Wat one day for sure and visit my girlfriend's family in Cambodia. 

That's all I got. 

my khmer is super shitty, not even really functional outside of basic greetings. my thai is pretty damn good but i was learning them both simultaneously and the brahmic scripts are a bitch to learn one at a time let alone two similar ones. you should legit try to learn, it's fun to be able to converse with locals when you head to a place like that.

wicked! have you settled on an itinerary? if i do end up in indonesia this summer there's a small chance i will be routing through SEA proper to get to borneo, around that time, if our paths somehow cross i will buy you a beer or four. there's nothing quite as awesome as running into someone from back home when you're trekking a foreign land.

Since my time is limited we decided to stick to one country - Thailand - with the hopes and expectations that we will return to SEA in the future. I've got 10 days there in all and we are in and out if Bangkok.

Haven't finalized our itinerary. Bought the book you suggested and still plotting it out. We will be mobile so other than a good idea of where we want to go we won't have anything set in stone. I'm sure I'll reach back out to you when it gets closer to get your opinion on our plans.

Then I'm stopping in Shanghai on the way home to see a good friend. I've only got 2 days there, but I couldn't venture to that side of the world and not stop in.

Since my time is limited we decided to stick to one country - Thailand - with the hopes and expectations that we will return to SEA in the future. I've got 10 days there in all and we are in and out if Bangkok.

Haven't finalized our itinerary. Bought the book you suggested and still plotting it out. We will be mobile so other than a good idea of where we want to go we won't have anything set in stone. I'm sure I'll reach back out to you when it gets closer to get your opinion on our plans.

Then I'm stopping in Shanghai on the way home to see a good friend. I've only got 2 days there, but I couldn't venture to that side of the world and not stop in.

thailand is a phenomenal intro to SEA, so if you love thailand after 10 days you'll be well primed for farther ventures down the road. i'm excited to see what you encounter

I feel like even India would be a good place to see for about a week and then the novelty would wear off and it's about time to pack the bags and get the fug out of there. It's hard to imagine how you spent months there dealing with the daily rigors of Indian life

go spend a week in kiribati and then bitch. i flew home from tarawa in 2011 and got off the plane in los angeles and walked out front and these two dudes had just gotten home from calcutta and their friend picked them up and met them on the sidewalk with a huge american flag which they proceeded to hug and kiss and wrap up in, one of them yelling I LOVE YOU AMERICAAAAA and the other one saying how good it was to be in a real country instead of fuging india. damn rookies, idk what they were doing there but dudes sack up, i just spent a week on a wall-less bamboo platform with naked kids and wild dog attacks

Archived