• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

#9 and #24 Enough To Move Into The Top 3?

chknwing

Would both those picks be enough to move into the top 3 and land a stud?  Just seems logical to go get 1 guy that will have an impact and then grab someone in free agency.  Trying to bring along two mediocre players from #9 and #24 isnt really ideal when you are trying to get back to the playoffs.

I really really doubt it. It would take something more like 9, 24, Zeller(or mkg) and taking on a terrible contract and that is only if you find a team willing to deal.

Sent from my XT907 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Not a chance that's enough. 

9, 24, a future 1st and maybe more? A team may listen. But probably still not. The teams at the top (outside of Cleveland who is just inept) have tanked and sold their fans on the idea of tanking this year to land a franchise changing player. Trading away from that would be highly unpopular unless you're landing a proven stud in return. 

Cavs? Can't see it. They'll love to get another potential superstar to pair with Kyrie.

Bucks? They need a star to put them on the map.

76ers? Again, they need a stud to get them back to relevance.

Magic? Same as above.

---

Let's say at this stage Embiid, Exum, Parker and Wiggins are off the board. That still leaves the highly rated Randle, Smart, and Vonleh on the board. Plus solid picks like Gordon, Harris, McDermott, Saric and Staukas.

I don't see any of the top four teams trading back when they can land four players of the calibre on offer. After that you might tempt a team to trade back a few spots for more picks. I think we could tempt the Jazz with an offer to go from #5 to #9, and that could allow us to get one of the next tier prospects. The problem is what would that cost, our #9 and second, both our firsts, or a first and a player?

Depending on the price it may be worth it considering the position we are currently in - ie needing a player that can contribute straight away. But at #9 we should still be able to get a good player that can contribute, and perhaps find a prospect at with our late first round pick and second round pick.

As for top three, I don't think there's a chance. From four onward you might, but you'll have to pay a premium from 4 to 7.

When Steph Curry and Chris Paul were projected ahead of us, those were the drafts that I thought we should do whatever it takes to trade up and get them...

This one...  Ehh...  There's a lot more talent overall than in recent years past, but it's not worth trading the 9 and 24 to try to move up because it's so deep this year.  And keep in mind, every year there is some huge names out there for some reason or another that end up being JAGs all across the league.  How did Anthony Bennett look last season?  Anyone remember a few years ago when Hasheem Thabeet was the #2 overall selection, lol?

I'd rather keep both picks and sign some solid FAs and/or deal for impact players with the assets we already have.  There will be some serious steals available at 9 and 24, our FO just has to choose wisely.  I'd rather get two chances at getting it right than trade both picks for one and draft some overhyped bum like most of this class is going to pan out to be.  Again, it's deeper than in years past, but that isn't anything to brag about.

Archived