• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

so IF we draft McBuckets at #9....

bLACKpANTHER

So outside of shooting the ball well what does McDermott bring to the table?

That's all I've seen discussed... McDermott shoots this well, and did this in a game etc.

Is he a good defender, is he a good playmaker, is he a good rebounder, is he a good leader...

Honestly not to be a dick but what else do u want. The dude can shoot and score. We've lacked shooting and scoring for so long and someone comes around that does just that and we want more.

I'm really not trying to be condescending. I'm just being realistic with what we have. We have the 9th overall pick. These dudes are gonna have flaws. All of them. Even the top selections.

It's like this every year. Around draft time for both the panthers and hornets. Everybody picks the guy they like. If someone dosent like him then they go to great lengths to make points of how he will suck.

I'm open to any player being a hornet besides Gary Harris. I know it looks likes I'm all for McDermott. I just think he deserves a little more credit and respect than being the talentless unathletic white boy who is Adam Morrison2.0.

Honestly not to be a dick but what else do u want. The dude can shoot and score. We've lacked shooting and scoring for so long and someone comes around that does just that and we want more.

I'm really not trying to be condescending. I'm just being realistic with what we have. We have the 9th overall pick. These dudes are gonna have flaws. All of them. Even the top selections.

It's like this every year. Around draft time for both the panthers and hornets. Everybody picks the guy they like. If someone dosent like him then they go to great lengths to make points of how he will suck.

I'm open to any player being a hornet besides Gary Harris. I know it looks likes I'm all for McDermott. I just think he deserves a little more credit and respect than being the talentless unathletic white boy who is Adam Morrison2.0.

I'd like something close to a complete player. An inept player on defense is just as bad as an inept player on offense and on some cases it can be worse because even if you are having a rough night on offense, you can always play defense.... that is if you don't suck at it.

Same goes with rebounding, hustle, and leadership.

If all you can do is shoot, you're not going to provide much when you have off nights.

Since the consensus is down to Stauskas and McDermott...

What separates McDermott from Stauskas and Stauskas from McDermott.... who is the more complete player.

There offensive games are a wash... So forget that.

What does one do better than the other?

My list would be Saric>Stauskas>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>McDermott. 

I just think that both Saric and Stauskas have better all around games and both have good shot structure already. They are better playmakers and passers, Saric is a better defender and rebounder... Out of the three, IMO, McDermott has the lowest upside and the lowest floor. 

I think at best, he's a 6th man who can get you 10-12 points in 25 minutes on average and at worst he's a rotational shooter who will get 10-12 minutes a game. 

That's all I've seen discussed... McDermott shoots this well, and did this in a game etc.

Is he a good defender, is he a good playmaker, is he a good rebounder, is he a good leader...

The defense question is the most tricky one.  There are legit concerns about his ability to defend in the NBA.  In college his defensive stats in terms of steals and blocks were pretty abysmal.  However, he actually moves his feet fairly well and was always in the correct position both on and off the ball.  Defensive stats can be overrated.  For instance, you can have a guy that is gambling all the time for steals, and flying around trying to block every shot who may have good steal and block stats and be absolutely pooty on defense.  If he had as high of production as he had on offense, and he was a shutdown defender he would be the #1 overall pick.  At #9 everyone has question marks.  And for me, his defense is his biggest question mark, and a fair one to be concerned about.

Is he a good playmaker?  I don't really know what you mean by playmaker.  I know he averaged less than 2 turnovers a game last season and as much as he touched the ball it is pretty clear he took pretty good care of the ball.  Plus, his role was to score, not have a bunch of assists.  He isn't Magic Johnson or anything but he has a tendency to make the smart play with he basketball rather than force tough passes.

Is he a good rebounder?  He averaged 7.5 rebounds per game in college, which is pretty solid for  4.  It has long been said that rebounding is the most translatable stat from college to the NBA.  I would say that as a 3 he could be a pretty decent rebounder.  As a 4 he would probably be just average to possibly below average rebounder. 

Is he a leader?  He is a coaches son, and everything I have heard about him as a teammate has been positive.  Harrison Barnes has spoken highly of him in the past.  You never really know this one if you are on the outside, but it at least seems like he would be a good leader, or at the very least not an issue in the locker room.

Since the consensus is down to Stauskas and McDermott...

What separates McDermott from Stauskas and Stauskas from McDermott.... who is the more complete player.

There offensive games are a wash... So forget that.

What does one do better than the other?

I think McD is a better shooter than Stauskas, and he is a better scorer than Stauskas, and he has a higher basketball IQ than Stauskas (although he is a senior and Stauskas was a sophomore so he should at that stage)

Staskas is by no means a great defender.  That is his biggest question mark as well.  Stauskas also has a tendency to completely disappear in games (against Duke he was 0-2 for 4 points in 34 minutes), and has trouble creating shots.  He has had 9 games in 2 seasons where he could only get 5 shots or less off (not counting games he played less than 15 minutes in).  Last season he had 9 games where he could only get 9 shots or less.

Nik had 5 games where he scored 10 points or fewer.  McDermott only had 5 games where he scored less than 20 and only one he scored less than 10.

But I like Stauskas, and I don't necessarily think we should take McDermott over Nik.  Right now I kind of like both of them about the same.  I haven't figured out which one I prefer yet.

The defense question is the most tricky one. There are legit concerns about his ability to defend in the NBA. In college his defensive stats in terms of steals and blocks were pretty abysmal. However, he actually moves his feet fairly well and was always in the correct position both on and off the ball. Defensive stats can be overrated. For instance, you can have a guy that is gambling all the time for steals, and flying around trying to block every shot who may have good steal and block stats and be absolutely pooty on defense. If he had as high of production as he had on offense, and he was a shutdown defender he would be the #1 overall pick. At #9 everyone has question marks. And for me, his defense is his biggest question mark, and a fair one to be concerned about.

Is he a good playmaker? I don't really know what you mean by playmaker. I know he averaged less than 2 turnovers a game last season and as much as he touched the ball it is pretty clear he took pretty good care of the ball. Plus, his role was to score, not have a bunch of assists. He isn't Magic Johnson or anything but he has a tendency to make the smart play with he basketball rather than force tough passes.

Is he a good rebounder? He averaged 7.5 rebounds per game in college, which is pretty solid for 4. It has long been said that rebounding is the most translatable stat from college to the NBA. I would say that as a 3 he could be a pretty decent rebounder. As a 4 he would probably be just average to possibly below average rebounder.

Is he a leader? He is a coaches son, and everything I have heard about him as a teammate has been positive. Harrison Barnes has spoken highly of him in the past. You never really know this one if you are on the outside, but it at least seems like he would be a good leader, or at the very least not an issue in the locker room.

At some point Teeray will try and explain away any negatives to McDermott games.

Defense is a question but he has quick feet???

Rebounding : Well he was pretty good rebounding as a SF when he was playing PF.

Playmakers : Well he didn't turn over the ball and he doesn't need to pass ever.

At some point I wonder why he isn't a top 3 pick if every thing T eeray believes is true about McDermott.

At some point Teeray will try and explain away any negatives to McDermott games.

Defense is a question but he has quick feet???

Rebounding : Well he was pretty good rebounding as a SF when he was playing PF.

Playmakers : Well he didn't turn over the ball and he doesn't need to pass ever.

At some point I wonder why he isn't a top 3 pick if every thing T eeray believes is true about McDermott.

Snark:  A+

Reading Comprehension:  F

A-  I did not say he had quick feet, I said he moved his feet fairly well.

B-  You just need to re-read what I said.  7.5 rebounds per game is fine for the PF position in college.  When I was talking about rebounding as a SF it was projecting how he might do in the NBA.  If he can average 4-6 rebounds per game, that is pretty decent for a SF, that would also be pretty average to below average for a PF. 

C-  He didn't turn the ball over.  Not even sure what you mean there.

You notice that too right??

Never mind the fact you have a 4 year post player and trying to make him a perimeters only player.

No problem with that transition right??

Snark: A+

Reading Comprehension: F

A- I did not say he had quick feet, I said he moved his feet fairly well.

B- You just need to re-read what I said. 7.5 rebounds per game is fine for the PF position in college. When I was talking about rebounding as a SF it was projecting how he might do in the NBA. If he can average 4-6 rebounds per game, that is pretty decent for a SF, that would also be pretty average to below average for a PF.

C- He didn't turn the ball over. Not even sure what you mean there.

Terry remember how you were just like this over a certain WR from Georgia Tech who was eventually drafted by the Jets??

You explained away all his faults and convince yourself how good he was going to be. While I was telling you he wasn't worth a 1st 4 rounds pick.

LOL at saying "Other than shooting the ball, he's not great at anything else."  That's the entire point.  We need shooters.  He can shoot.  That's like going to a restaurant and saying, "Other than tasting good, this food doesn't do anything else for me."  Completely dismissing the area he excels in is a terrible argument.

Terry remember how you were just like this over a certain WR from Georgia Tech who was eventually drafted by the Jets??

You explained away all his faults and convince yourself how good he was going to be. While I was telling you he wasn't worth a 1st 4 rounds pick.

With those pooty QBs everyone WR on that team looks like they suck.  So they keep drafting WRs and then complain about them, but it is because their OC and QBs both suck.  When the Jets were the team that drafted him I knew he was doomed.  :(

But, I also remember the time a large number of people told me Cam Newton wasn't worthy of the #1 overall pick, and was going to be a bust because he wasn't going to be able to run as well in the NFL, and he played in a gimmick offense that was "nothing" like an NFL offense, and he was a terrible passer, and that his game would not translate to the NFL.  He is a one trick pony  Etc, etc

Which is funny because this debate has evolved in very similar fashion.  I was only defending McDermott because I thought the people who just automatically wrote this guy's NBA potential off were being stupid.  Say what you want about McD, you don't score 27 ppg at 55 fg% 45% 3fg% in the MVC or Big East without being pretty fugging good at basketball and not a one trick pony.  To say otherwise is just plain stupid. 

And that was the only point I set out to make, much like when I was defending Cam when people were so determined to tell people they knew he was going to bust and set the franchise back 5 years and everyone will regret it. 

But the same thing kind of happened with McDermott that happened with Cam.  I would go and study his games, and do stats analysis to see if what you guys were saying was true.  And the more I studied him, the less and less of his criticisms are actually true, much like when I really kept diving into studying Cam, most of his criticisms weren't true.

He struggles against length... no he doesn't

He isn't athletic... yeah he is

He played a weak schedule... no he didn't

He played against small opponents... no he didn't

He doesn't create his own shots... yeah he did

The thing you haven't figured out yet is I haven't said anything about how great McDermott is going to be in the NBA.  Because I don't know.  Neither do you.  You are adamant about how much he sucks.  I just point out that there is reason to believe you are wrong.  There is also reason to believe that the criticisms against his offensive game are unfair.

Unlike you, I actually don't think I already know it all.  McDermott may very well bust.  He may also become an all-star.  That is true of nearly every draft pick.  Even sure fire picks sometimes don't work out. Sometimes players that have a bunch of questions that push them to the 2nd round ends up being great players like Paul Milsap, Monta Ellis, Stephen Jackson, Antonio Davis, etc.

I simply try to be fair to the player, either way.  I am usually not a negative person that roots for people's failures.  I will have questions, but you will hard pressed to find me being too critical of any player.  That is because I used to be a basketball player and the people who are the most critical usually don't know what they are talking about.

Honestly, I am a lot like Gruden.  I kind of like everyone, and rarely have a strong opinion in the negative.  If I recall the only two people I was pretty strongly against one of my teams drafting, it was Blaine Gabbert and MKG.  Thank God we didn't draft Gabbert, but as soon as we drafted MKG I became a believer and his biggest defender, yet some of his biggest supporters before the draft are trying to already run him out of town. 

You may end up being right.  He may end up not having a very productive NBA career.  If he flames out and fails I hope that makes you feel good.  You can come back and tell me how smart you are, and how I should have listened to you.  But trust me, you don't know what they hell you are talking about.  If he fails or succeeds it doesn't mean you know something that no one else does.  It just mean you happened to guess right.

With those pooty QBs everyone WR on that team looks like they suck. So they keep drafting WRs and then complain about them, but it is because their OC and QBs both suck. When the Jets were the team that drafted him I knew he was doomed. :(

But, I also remember the time a large number of people told me Cam Newton wasn't worthy of the #1 overall pick, and was going to be a bust because he wasn't going to be able to run as well in the NFL, and he played in a gimmick offense that was "nothing" like an NFL offense, and he was a terrible passer, and that his game would not translate to the NFL. He is a one trick pony Etc, etc

Which is funny because this debate has evolved in very similar fashion. I was only defending McDermott because I thought the people who just automatically wrote this guy's NBA potential off were being stupid. Say what you want about McD, you don't score 27 ppg at 55 fg% 45% 3fg% in the MVC or Big East without being pretty fugging good at basketball and not a one trick pony. To say otherwise is just plain stupid.

And that was the only point I set out to make, much like when I was defending Cam when people were so determined to tell people they knew he was going to bust and set the franchise back 5 years and everyone will regret it.

But the same thing kind of happened with McDermott that happened with Cam. I would go and study his games, and do stats analysis to see if what you guys were saying was true. And the more I studied him, the less and less of his criticisms are actually true, much like when I really kept diving into studying Cam, most of his criticisms weren't true.

He struggles against length... no he doesn't

He isn't athletic... yeah he is

He played a weak schedule... no he didn't

He played against small opponents... no he didn't

He doesn't create his own shots... yeah he did

The thing you haven't figured out yet is I haven't said anything about how great McDermott is going to be in the NBA. Because I don't know. Neither do you. You are adamant about how much he sucks. I just point out that there is reason to believe you are wrong. There is also reason to believe that the criticisms against his offensive game are unfair.

Unlike you, I actually don't think I already know it all. McDermott may very well bust. He may also become an all-star. That is true of nearly every draft pick. Even sure fire picks sometimes don't work out. Sometimes players that have a bunch of questions that push them to the 2nd round ends up being great players like Paul Milsap, Monta Ellis, Stephen Jackson, Antonio Davis, etc.

I simply try to be fair to the player, either way. I am usually not a negative person that roots for people's failures. I will have questions, but you will hard pressed to find me being too critical of any player. That is because I used to be a basketball player and the people who are the most critical usually don't know what they are talking about.

Honestly, I am a lot like Gruden. I kind of like everyone, and rarely have a strong opinion in the negative. If I recall the only two people I was pretty strongly against one of my teams drafting, it was Blaine Gabbert and MKG. Thank God we didn't draft Gabbert, but as soon as we drafted MKG I became a believer and his biggest defender, yet some of his biggest supporters before the draft are trying to already run him out of town.

You may end up being right. He may end up not having a very productive NBA career. If he flames out and fails I hope that makes you feel good. You can come back and tell me how smart you are, and how I should have listened to you. But trust me, you don't know what they hell you are talking about. If he fails or succeeds it doesn't mean you know something that no one else does. It just mean you happened to guess right.

Well said sir.

Archived