• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How Much Pressure on KB13?

Like you said, some fair points, but frankly the only move we should have done differently was bring back smith. Acting like Ginn, Lafell, and especially Hixon were anything better than replacement level guys is incorrect. Our recieving doesn't have very much talent, but a big reason is that it didn't have much in previous seasons. At least Benjamin should improve with Cam with time.

"It's important that the Panthers get Benjamin on the field in positions to succeed (and help the team) but don't hamper Benjamin's development by putting too much on his plate too early."

that's the best part of the article. and something DG has stressed with Benjamin. We've got good coaches, they will throw him into the fire, so to speak, but i believe in the coaches to put him in the best situations to succeed. Good thing about Cam is he spreads the ball around a ton, so with this leaning on benjamin thing is going to be moot point, imo.

also, i'm expecting one other reciever/te to step up. *hint* *hint* Bdub

agreed some fair points, but let's not get upset at low yardage numbers.  We don't run an offense that produce

a lot of 1000 yard receivers.  The same critics who blasted us for losing our top 4 receivers will point to that

as proof they were right, but they will be wrong again.

KB is gonna be a guy we to on third down and in the red zone for tds.  It will be easy to see how many tds he

gives us in the stat column, but what won't show up is the tds the rest of our offense make because the d has to

focus so much on this huge long armed receiver.

I wish they kept stats on how many catches are made on third down resulting in a first down.  We need 6 or 7, we're going

to isolate KB around 8 or 9 and toss him a high pass....and he'll catch it.

I am so fugging ready for some football

I've seen a lot of lofty projections for KB this year on the Huddlez, and those are somewhat silly IMO. If he can get 500-600 yards and 5 TDs, that's a nice rookie year IMO. Many of the best WR in the league today didn't do too much their rookie years, and I'd expect the same from KB and the green light to come on during his 2nd and 3rd seasons. 

For perspective, in other Top WRs rookie years...

Calvin Johnson - 15 Games, 756 Yards, 4 TDs

AJ Green - 15 Games, 1, 057 Yards, 7 TDs

Dez Bryant - 12 Games, 561 Yards, 6 TDs

Brandon Marshall - 15 Games, 309 Yards, 2 TDs

Alshon Jeffery - 10 Games, 367 Yards, 3 TDs

Roddy White - 16 Games, 446 Yards, 3 TDs

Julio Jones - 13 Games, 959 Yards, 8 TDs

Demaryius Thomas - 10 Games, 283 Yards, 2 TDs

Larry Fitz - 16 Games, 780 Yards, 8 TDs

Andre Johnson - 16 Games, 976 Yards, 4 TDs

Just for Panthers sakes, Steve Smiths first 2 years combined - 30 Games, 1,026 Yards, 3 TDs. 

6 of the 11 mentioned went above 500 yards their 1st year. Many of which were drafted higher and had lofty projections. 4 of the 11 had 5 TDs or more. Fans are obviously thrilled about KB's potential...but temper the expectations for awhile is all I'm saying. 

Like you said, some fair points, but frankly the only move we should have done differently was bring back smith. Acting like Ginn, Lafell, and especially Hixon were anything better than replacement level guys is incorrect. Our recieving doesn't have very much talent, but a big reason is that it didn't have much in previous seasons. At least Benjamin should improve with Cam with time.

Keeping Smith would've been very important in the short run but even if he retired it would've absolutely f*cked our cap situation in the long run. All in all, cutting him was our only option to have success in the long run. And I don't think keeping him would've been the difference for us to win the Super Bowl. Even with him we wouldn't have won it. We would've needed Gross to stay and to somehow sign some huge FA in the secondary, something we couldn't do with our cap situation.

I've seen a lot of lofty projections for KB this year on the Huddlez, and those are somewhat silly IMO. If he can get 500-600 yards and 5 TDs, that's a nice rookie year IMO. Many of the best WR in the league today didn't do too much their rookie years, and I'd expect the same from KB and the green light to come on during his 2nd and 3rd seasons. 

For perspective, in other Top WRs rookie years...

Calvin Johnson - 15 Games, 756 Yards, 4 TDs

AJ Green - 15 Games, 1, 057 Yards, 7 TDs

Dez Bryant - 12 Games, 561 Yards, 6 TDs

Brandon Marshall - 15 Games, 309 Yards, 2 TDs

Alshon Jeffery - 10 Games, 367 Yards, 3 TDs

Roddy White - 16 Games, 446 Yards, 3 TDs

Julio Jones - 13 Games, 959 Yards, 8 TDs

Demaryius Thomas - 10 Games, 283 Yards, 2 TDs

Larry Fitz - 16 Games, 780 Yards, 8 TDs

Andre Johnson - 16 Games, 976 Yards, 4 TDs

Just for Panthers sakes, Steve Smiths first 2 years combined - 30 Games, 1,026 Yards, 3 TDs. 

6 of the 11 mentioned went above 500 yards their 1st year. Many of which were drafted higher and had lofty projections. 4 of the 11 had 5 TDs or more. Fans are obviously thrilled about KB's potential...but temper the expectations for awhile is all I'm saying. 

My expectations of him are about 600-700 yards and at least 8 touchdowns. Close to Fitz. If he goes above that, great. But if he gets less touchdowns than 8, I'll be disappointed. Less yards wouldn't be as big of a deal but with the huge opportunity he's getting as #1 receiver, he should be able to get at least 600.

My expectations of him are about 600-700 yards and at least 8 touchdowns. Close to Fitz. If he goes above that, great. But if he gets less touchdowns than 8, I'll be disappointed. Less yards wouldn't be as big of a deal but with the huge opportunity he's getting as #1 receiver, he should be able to get at least 600.

I admittedly was thinking 700 yards and 7 TDs until I looked into the other stats I posted. I'd be thrilllllled if KB hits those numbers. I just don't know how plausible it is. Jerry Rice had 927 Yards and 3 TDs. Terrell Owens had 520 yards and 4 TDs. Randy Moss's numbers were just filthy, but he's really the only guy I can find who came in dominant right away. 

By saying you'll be disappointed in anything less than 8 TDs...I'd prepare to be sad. If he goes for 700 yards and 8 TDs, I'd say chances are good the Panthers will be making a nice playoff run. 

I know some will probably say it's not that big a deal, but I think the relationship that Cam and Kelvin are quickly developing will have an impact. Just how much is yet to be determined, but that goes a good ways in helping, especially for a rookie learning and adjusting as he goes.

I have a great feeling about this kid. I don't think there is a lot of pressure on him.

If he is smart (an he is) he will realize he is a rookie and no one is expecting much (traditionally it takes rookie wr's a couple years to develop) so he has the upper hand.

I think he will make a lot of us smile this season.

But he is the guy I wanted us to draft so maybe it's just me. Lol.

Agree with the yards but the TD's are a bit ridiculous. I'd say 500-600 yards and 5 or 6 TDs is reasonable. 

Agree with the yards but the TD's are a bit ridiculous. I'd say 500-600 yards and 5 or 6 TDs is reasonable.

In the redzone he should be able to get a td every time if we are within 5. They'll be stacking the box for Cam and Tolbert running and then they'll have their coverage shifts towards Olsen and KB will be wide open with his 10 feet and Cam should be able to hit him for a td no problem. 1 every 2 games is absolutely reasonable.

Archived