• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Without Smith, Panthers ordinary

Rod Butsecks

(By Tom Sorensen, [email protected]) When the Carolina Panthers begin practice Tuesday, I count 80 players on the field. Each shares two traits. They're good enough to get paid to come to training camp.p/ They're not Steve Smith.p/ Smith is the player the Panthers can least afford to lose. On many teams, the quarterback is. If Jake Delhomme goes down, his leadership will be missed much more than most fans realize. But Josh McCown will offer similar skills...

More...

I disagree with this I think Kemo is the bigger loss. Before you bite my head off just listen to my argument. Last year we were 2-0 without smith. Jake had to make all his reads and not have to force the ball to one player. Sure smith is the most explosive player in the NFL IMO but he is still only one player. While I would give anything to keep him healthy his loss might not be as bad as we think. This might just be an opportunity to get Jarret our TE's and RB's more involved in the passing gameplan. Whereas when Kemo was out last year opposing teams could pretty much run right through us. The giants had 300 yards on the ground against us. IMO he is the bigger loss.

The Panthers are a normal team with an outstanding offensive line and two great running backs. And a veteran quarterback who's had more success without Smith than Smith has had without him. And a pro-bowl middle linebacker. And a shutdown corner. And one of the best defensive ends in the league.

Other than that, they're pretty normal all right...

One player does not make or break a team in football. Maybe in basketball, but not this sport. Writers need to stop being so dramatic when one good player goes down. Look at the Patriots...they lost Tom Brady, and still won 10 games. There are always guys who will step up. One side of the ball will make up for a loss on the other side of the ball. Football is a team sport...the ultimate team sport. It is completely unfair to judge 21 guys based on 1 guy being on the field. These writers need to get a life.

I disagree with this I think Kemo is the bigger loss. Before you bite my head off just listen to my argument. Last year we were 2-0 without smith. Jake had to make all his reads and not have to force the ball to one player. Sure smith is the most explosive player in the NFL IMO but he is still only one player. While I would give anything to keep him healthy his loss might not be as bad as we think. This might just be an opportunity to get Jarret our TE's and RB's more involved in the passing gameplan. Whereas when Kemo was out last year opposing teams could pretty much run right through us. The giants had 300 yards on the ground against us. IMO he is the bigger loss.

you can't go by record alone. Smith was a big reason the run game has so much success and vice versa.....taking away that compliment would really hurt the team. Smitty did lead the NFL in recieving yards per game last season. Kemo missed the Giant game and they killed us.....we also missed our other starting DT that game and just happened to face what many considered the best running attack in the league that day. Smith is the most important piece to our offense. Kemo was important but he simply is just a very average DT at the end of the day....he was used to the best of his ability and that helped others on the defense (like the LBs).

And the year that Smitty was out with a broken leg, Moose led the NFC in touchdown catches.

We're so much more than just Steve Smith, but by the same token, we are so much a better team for having him. We can win games without him on the field, but man, when he's there he is a dyed-in-the-wool superstar.

And the year that Smitty was out with a broken leg, Moose led the NFC in touchdown catches.

We're so much more than just Steve Smith, but by the same token, we are so much a better team for having him. We can win games without him on the field, but man, when he's there he is a dyed-in-the-wool superstar.

We don't have that Moose anymore. We now have the 36 yr old model. Moose didn't get enough credit for exactly how good he was before he wasted away some good years in Chicago.

We can win games without him. The run game won't look like it did last year w/o him on the field and the passing game will lack a serious threat. Steve Smith is one of the best WRs in the game. Kemo will be missed but is replaceable....

Archived