• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam's Ankle

SOJA

Welp

“We kind of teased about it a couple weeks ago, how the doctor kind of downplayed how the surgery was going to go. I just thought this was a surgery just to clean up the ligaments and what not,” Newton said Wednesday. “But after reading a lot of reports from you guys, hearing about so much of ligament repair and this major ankle surgery that may hold Cam Newton off for a couple months, that’s when I started scratching my head like, man, this may be bigger than I thought. And something I thought may have a cast on for a couple weeks end up to be a couple months.”

“I’m still in that mode where trying to realize that I’m still trying to recover from a major ankle surgery that was displayed to me originally as a regular little cleanup,” Newton said.

Panthers athletic trainer Ryan Vermillion said there were no illusions about the extent of the surgery, and Newton is progressing on schedule with the initial timetable.

“At no time was Cam’s surgery categorized as a simple surgery. From the beginning his timeline for return to practice was four to six months,” Vermillion said in an email.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/10/01/5213850/carolina-panthers-qb-cam-newton.html

I've seen some really promising things from him as a passer though. I mean if our line could block and our running backs could run. I think our offense could be dynamic without him running for first downs.

not without any RB's. No run game will increase the risk as the D can tee off on him .

His ankle is fine. I think it is more mental right now. When he hurt his ribs normally he would have planted on that left foot and cut outside.

He is still trying to trust it, but I think it is probably fine.

so you have watched cam through pre-season and two games this season and your conclusion is he is more than likely just fine?

to me the guy doesn't look anything close to as fast or agile as he was even in the final games of last season (after injury).  i question what kind of info these docs gave cam.  the entire point of the surgery was to get rid of/lessen the pain.  it wasn't a must have surgery.  if he's still going to have pain, and even look more bothered by the ankle than before, then surgery obviously wasn't the correct plan of action.  

so you have watched cam through pre-season and two games this season and your conclusion is he is more than likely just fine?

to me the guy doesn't look anything close to as fast or agile as he was even in the final games of last season (after injury). i question what kind of info these docs gave cam. the entire point of the surgery was to get rid of/lessen the pain. it wasn't a must have surgery. if he's still going to have pain, and even look more bothered by the ankle than before, then surgery obviously wasn't the correct plan of action.

Yeah, I think the ankle is fine structurally. It may be sore, but it is fine.

I think the biggest issue is Cam not trusting it.

Which is common and everyone goes through it with ankle or knee surgeries. The ankle or knee is fine, but you still don't trust it because it is sore or tight so you don't want to plant on it.

NBC Sports

Cam Newton is not the same. Newton, who has been dealing with ankle and rib injuries, just isn’t the same player as he was when healthy during his first three seasons. Newton averaged 677 rushing yards a season during his first three years. This year, Newton has just 33 yards a quarter of the way through the season.

When Newton isn’t a threat running the ball it’s easier to rein him in as a passer, and as a result Newton is on pace for career lows in touchdown passes and passing yards as well. After Sunday’s 38-10 loss to the Ravens, the Panthers have now been blown out two weeks in a row. They need the Cam Newton of old, and they need him soon.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/29/nfl-morning-after-j-j-watt-for-mvp/

Welp

“We kind of teased about it a couple weeks ago, how the doctor kind of downplayed how the surgery was going to go. I just thought this was a surgery just to clean up the ligaments and what not,” Newton said Wednesday. “But after reading a lot of reports from you guys, hearing about so much of ligament repair and this major ankle surgery that may hold Cam Newton off for a couple months, that’s when I started scratching my head like, man, this may be bigger than I thought. And something I thought may have a cast on for a couple weeks end up to be a couple months.”

“I’m still in that mode where trying to realize that I’m still trying to recover from a major ankle surgery that was displayed to me originally as a regular little cleanup,” Newton said.

“At no time was Cam’s surgery categorized as a simple surgery. From the beginning his timeline for return to practice was four to six months,” Vermillion said in an email.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/10/01/5213850/carolina-panthers-qb-cam-newton.html

I find it very hard to believe the surgical procedure wasn't laid out for him and that the Doctors "downplayed" it. I find it easy to believe that Cam either didn't understand what he was presented, or heard what he wanted to hear as far as recovery time is concerned. This guy thinks he is superman after all.

NBC Sports

Cam Newton is not the same. Newton, who has been dealing with ankle and rib injuries, just isn’t the same player as he was when healthy during his first three seasons. Newton averaged 677 rushing yards a season during his first three years. This year, Newton has just 33 yards a quarter of the way through the season.

When Newton isn’t a threat running the ball it’s easier to rein him in as a passer, and as a result Newton is on pace for career lows in touchdown passes and passing yards as well. After Sunday’s 38-10 loss to the Ravens, the Panthers have now been blown out two weeks in a row. They need the Cam Newton of old, and they need him soon.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/29/nfl-morning-after-j-j-watt-for-mvp/

Those statements are incredibly spewed and misleading because Cam didn't play week 1. But I guess saying Cam is hurt & struggling makes for a better story than saying this is the best Cam has ever looked as a passer.

YPG:

2011- 253

2012- 242

2013- 211

2014- 243

Cmp %:

2011- 60%

2012- 58%

2013- 62%

2014- 64%

Yeah, I think the ankle is fine structurally. It may be sore, but it is fine.

I think the biggest issue is Cam not trusting it.

Which is common and everyone goes through it with ankle or knee surgeries. The ankle or knee is fine, but you still don't trust it because it is sore or tight so you don't want to plant on it.

I agree. This is also why I think DA should start the Bears game with Cam coming off the bench for the second half if needed. We seem to be in an all or nothing mentality with QB play. Every injury I have ever been associated with rehabbing involved gradual stress increases. The team is doing that by forbidding him from running and limiting the game plan. Another way would be to decrease the reps and exposure. Whats better a whole game of Cam being held back or half a game of Cam running the total package.

Archived