• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I want to open a pub

Ruff

If you want to work long hours, always be in debt, be tired all the time, and eventually lose all your money, go for it.

ditto. For every one successful bar that isn't operating in debt there are 100 that didn't make it and fuged the person's life up who tried to open one. I'm not saying it can't be done - but if you look at the real successful restaurant people...they usually have extensive culinary and business training. They don't drink in their own establishments, etc. Usually someone who kinda hits a wall in their professional life and and gets bored with the everyday 9-5 who suddenly wakes up one day and says "fug it lets open a bar" are not the successful restauranters I'm talking about.   

Pubs are a terrible investment for numerous reasons. The fact that you're in the middle of nowhere (horrible location) and have never ran a bar or restaurant before makes it an even worse idea. You might as well take your money and buy lottery tickets, that'd be about as sound of an investment as this idea.

this is 110% correct. Bars aren't a toy. Dan Morgan's shitty pizza pub lasted 6 months and he prob had more resources than the OP. 

Yep. A person who "want's to open a bar/pub" thinks they'll find a spot easily, the rent will be affordable, the liquor license will happen quickly, they'll get a discount somewhere for all the booze, the employees will be great workers, and crowds will be coming in hordes, they'll have a DJ on the weekends, and they'll get to sleep in before going to their kick ass alcohol job ... meanwhile forgetting about the millions of other expenses that they'll have.

If you simply MUST do this, at least do it with a group of people. And do do it in whichever stick town you said you're from. Move to a city. You may like having no competition in the sticks, but when Old Drunk Tom is your only customer every night you'll be all ... crap.

Yep. A person who "want's to open a bar/pub" thinks they'll find a spot easily, the rent will be affordable, the liquor license will happen quickly, they'll get a discount somewhere for all the booze, the employees will be great workers, and crowds will be coming in hordes, they'll have a DJ on the weekends, and they'll get to sleep in before going to their kick ass alcohol job ... meanwhile forgetting about the millions of other expenses that they'll have.

If you simply MUST do this, at least do it with a group of people. And do do it in whichever stick town you said you're from. Move to a city. You may like having no competition in the sticks, but when Old Drunk Tom is your only customer every night you'll be all ... crap.

Yup. Old Drunk Tom who comes in at 3pm everyday slowly drinking the cheapest bottled beer you have, not buying your "expensive" shitty bar food, gets mad because he can't light up a cig in there and leaves the waitress he's hit on 5-6 times a crappy $2 tip. 

Then the bikers start coming in. 

I have a friend Roger he started a bar in his attic and it became very successful until Roger had a heart attack and he had to sell his business.  The company that bought Roger out started a chain of bars called Rogers Spot and changed everything that made Rogers spot special. Roger became very angry and well lets just say he got bar back.

dont be a Roger.

this is really only worth it if you're in love with bartending, IMO. and that's because to make it truly profitable you almost need to bartend yourself. you'll collect enough money in tips to seriously supplement your income and help pay for all those expenses you're going to incur.

the state has some tricky laws for bars that don't serve food, and they can be a pain in the ass, but opening up a bar/restaurant are where most places go wrong. the money you have to pay for kitchen staff, equipment, product, etc. is enormous. if you open just a bar, you'll have some upfront costs, but not nearly as much. your overhead will be significantly lower.

That's less than an hour from the biggest beer scene in the US. Your "no pub within 45 mins" quote is a little misleading.

Also, you live in the Bible Belt. There aren't bars because people around here don't drink (outside of Asheville). If you open a pub you will go bankrupt. If you really wanna open a business, build a church. You'll drown in money.

That's actually not true. From Forest City (which is the largest "city" inside of Rutherford County), Asheville (which I assume you're referring to) is 62 miles away. For reference, Charlotte is 65 miles away. Greenville is 70 miles away. Honestly, Forest City is the very center of a hub of cities. Forest City would be the location I would choose.

Sure, there are cities like Hendersonville (41 miles away) and Gastonia (42 miles away) are closer, but they don't have the attraction as either Asheville or Charlotte.

this is really only worth it if you're in love with bartending, IMO. and that's because to make it truly profitable you almost need to bartend yourself. you'll collect enough money in tips to seriously supplement your income and help pay for all those expenses you're going to incur.

the state has some tricky laws for bars that don't serve food, and they can be a pain in the ass, but opening up a bar/restaurant are where most places go wrong. the money you have to pay for kitchen staff, equipment, product, etc. is enormous. if you open just a bar, you'll have some upfront costs, but not nearly as much. your overhead will be significantly lower.

I think my dream pub would be more of a gastropub than a bar. So, more about craft brews and quality food than just being a wine bar, etc.

I think my dream pub would be more of a gastropub than a bar. So, more about craft brews and quality food than just being a wine bar, etc.

that's going to be prohibitively expensive unless you're independently wealthy and/or this is your lifelong passion.

Archived