• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ruff's 2015 Midseason Mock Offseason and Draft

Ruff

Well, well, well... Here we are, staring down another depressive season, watching as another Top 10 pick is quickly headed our way. Not all hope is lost, be going on from here is going to be difficult. I predict that we will beat the Bucs one last time, beat Atlanta at the Georgia Dome, and win another random game along the way, putting us at 6-9-1 for the season, good enough for the 8th (not exactly, but let's go with it) pick. 

The problem is, we still have many woes across our entire team. At one time, I thought McDermott was the savior for all of our defensive problems, that Steve Wilks as a DB genius, and that Ron Rivera was worthy of being the head coach of the Carolina Panthers. There is no way that I feel these things now. And, with this season, I feel like Ron, and the rest of the coaching staff, has all but lost the locker room in the process of the team falling to shambles. Too many key players/contributors were released, guys who made a huge impact in the locker room let go to the winds. On the back of that, I feel like the most responsible for the situation currently at the feet of this season is Gettleman. Yes, I know that firing a GM is a bad idea this early, but I think there is a reason that he was passed up (and a reason that the offensive line is in shambles not but two seasons from his departure of the New York Giants). 

Let's get to the hirings for the new look Carolina Panthers.

So now, it's time to find another GM and move through that process before we get to the situation of hiring a new coaching staff. Who are the options at GM? Well, my favorite out of every option is Tom Gamble, currently the Vice President of Player Personnel with the Philadelphia Eagles. Gamble came from a long time with the 49ers, where he realized a few things. One, developing a tough coaching attitude is key. Two, developing draft picks, especially on the offensive line, is paramount. And three, he knows how to scout with the best of them, being both a professional scout and a college scout (with the Carolina Panthers, no less!) Gamble has the chops, and will make an amazing GM.

Hirings

Tom Gamble, GM

So now, it's time to find another GM and move through that process before we get to the situation of hiring a new coaching staff. Who are the options at GM? Well, my favorite out of every option is Tom Gamble, currently the Vice President of Player Personnel with the Philadelphia Eagles. Gamble came from a long time with the 49ers, where he realized a few things. One, developing a tough coaching attitude is key. Two, developing draft picks, especially on the offensive line, is paramount. And three, he knows how to scout with the best of them, being both a professional scout and a college scout (with the Carolina Panthers, no less!) Gamble has the chops, and will make an amazing GM.

Kyle Shanahan, HC

What can I say about Kyle Shanahan? Let me begin with this: Kyle is not his dad. In fact, I think Kyle is going to be miles better than his dad ever was. What sort of credits does he have to his name? Well, he was the WR coach in Houston when Andre Johnson was developing into the best WR in the NFL. He became the OC in Houston where the Texans led the league in passing yards and was 6th overall on offense. He also helped develop the zone-read offense with Robert Griffin, as Alfred Morris amassed over 1400 yards under his offense. Just like his dad, Kyle runs a zone-blocked based offense, which is primarily used to set-up the play-action pass and the naked bootleg for the QB, which I think Cam will excel at. (For a breakdown of the Zone Blocking offense, check out this link. Kyle is known for his single back zone sets.)

Matt LeFleur, OC

Matt LeFleur is a name you've probably never heard, and that's fine. He was Robert Griffin's first QB coach in Washington (up until this last season), and also he is the guy responsible for making Kirk Cousins look decent (again, before this season). Right now, however, LeFleur is making his living as the QB coach of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, making Goldson look like an All-American QB. In this set-up, Kyle Shanahan would be primarily responsible for setting up the offensive gameplan, and possibly even calling the plays, but LeFleur would be there, on the sidelines, giving instructions as to how best operate the Shanahan offense.

Richard Smith, DC

Richard Smith is another guy you probably haven't heard of, but, guess what, he has actually been on the Panthers' coaching staff before. He was the linebackers coach with Carolina during the 2009-2010 seasons, and while, yes, the 2010 season was a disaster, Jon Beason flourished under the tutelage of Smith. But, not just Beason... Smith coached up a guy you might be familiar with... A guy named Von Miller. Richard has learned what it takes for a star middle linebacker (Beason AND Trevathen), along with a pass rushing OLB (Von Miller, Thomas Davis, and Julian Peterson) can do for a defense. We have the pieces in place for Richard Smith to cut his teeth on as defensive coordinator, now it's time to see where Smith can take us.

2015 Free Agents Releases

Before we get into who we're going to release in this mock, let's take a look at the upcoming Free Agents list:

V06Dm1b.png

That's an impressive list of players, including the likes of Greg Hardy and two of our four Defensive Tackles. So, let's see who we're going to let walk in this mock.

Greg Hardy

Dwan Edwards

Chase Blackburn

Jason Avant

Jason Smith

Ed Dickson

Antoine Cason

Kevin Matthews

Garry Williams

That's a huge list, huh? Well, let's break it down. Greg Hardy is the biggest name on that list. Why Hardy? It's simple, honestly, even with his upcoming trial, we can't afford to keep Greg. It's honestly that simple. Some other highlights: Cason just isn't that good, Avant is a JAG that is replaced by Bersin, Blackburn is easily replaced by Klein and Jacobs, Dickson can be replaced by Williams, and the rest are well... You can see. Dwan Edwards is an interesting choice, but I think with the rise of Short, and the youth of Short, we can easily switch out that piece.

So, we've seen who we're letting walk, now, let's see who we're going to re-sign:

Byron Bell

Colin Cole

Joe Webb

Jason Williams

Fozzy Whittaker

James Dockery

Jason Williams and Joe Webb, along with Colin Cole give depth at key positions. Byron Bell also can kick back to the RT position and do a serviceable job there, which is fine, at least until a better option comes along. 

Cuts

Sadly, there's players on the team that we have to release to make room for the future of the team. Long gone are the days of Hardy and Double Trouble eating away at 90% of the team's cap. It's time to make room for the future.

Charles Johnson

Releasing CJ will free up almost exactly $6m next season. He's no longer worth the salary, honestly, and his dead money in the future will just need to be eaten.

DeAngelo Williams

Releasing DWill will cost us $300k, but, puts us in a place for the future where we can move around without worrying about a bloated RB contract.

Thomas DeCoud

Releasing DeCoud will save us almost $2m. I mean, it's DeCoud. He gone.

Roman Harper

Releasing Harper saves us $600k. I mean, it's Harper. He slow.

2015 Free Agency Signings

Jason Pierre-Paul, DE

The key for us filling our pass rushing needs is JPP. After a dominate beginning to his career the likes of which we've never seen, JPP went through two very injury plagued seasons. But, this season we're beginning to see what JPP can do once again... And it's a beautiful thing. Also, what's great about JPP, we won't have to bust the bank trying to sign him like we would Greg Hardy, because he did have those injured seasons, so, it's like getting Hardy at a discount. When JPP is healthy, he's the best around.

Louis Delmas, Safety

With the departure of DeCoud and Harper, we need to sign at least one safety heading into the draft. Delmas is a beast. A ballhawker/hard-hitter combo that is rare in the NFL. Delmas can play either safety position, and can play there at an incredibly high level. He may be expensive, around 4 or so million a year, but, for the upgrade over Harper and/or DeCoud, he's worth it 100%.

George Selvie

After having a few awesome years in Dallas, Selvie has earned himself a decent paying contract. He's better than Ealy, or Addison, or Horton, and would come back here and immediately start opposite of JPP, giving us an athletic pass rushing set that still has plenty of youth.

Chris Harris, CB

Richard Smith, coming from Denver, would be familiar with Chris Smith's talents. Though, honestly, I think we all know what Chris Harris can do now. He's 25 years old, and his best years are ahead of him. Not only is Harris a speedy DB, but he can shut down the opposing team's primary receiver. Oh, he also played against Peyton Manning every day in practice, so nothing is going to be too big for the guy. 

Jordan Cameron, TE

A TE? What?! Yep. A TE. And not only a TE, but one that is now familiar with Kyle Shanahan's system, and one that is very, very young. At only 26 years old, Cameron gives us another receiving option from TE (though, Cameron is basically a hybrid/Jimmy Graham style, who is a bigger home run threat than Olsen).

2015 Draft

Finally, we're here! Let's get to the Draft!

1st Round

Landon Collins, SS - Alabama

Yes. A safety. Even with an offensive head coach. Landon Collins is a monster, ready to decleat anyone who dares come his way. But, not only that, Collins can change direction at will, and play the ball like a ball-hawking free safety. When I think of Landon Collins, I picture Brian Dawkins v2.0.

2nd Round

Ereck Flowers, LT - Miami

My God, Ereck Flowers. What a beast. He basically has the physical size to dominate any DE off the snap, even if he's not as fast as them. His strength is the most impressive thing about him, which makes his a key cog in the Kyle Shanahan, Zone Blocking offense, where the RBs will be a prominent feature. My best comparison for Flowers is Bryant McKinnie, but, even that doesn't do the man's power justice.

3rd Round

Stefon Diggs, WR - Maryland

You want speed? You want some one who is a home run threat any time the ball gets near him? Well, look no further than Stefon Diggs. The dude is lightning with two feet. He can return punts, he can return kicks, and he can fly down the field. Sure, he might not be the best route-runner, and he might not be the biggest guy (listed at 6'0/190), but we will only use him for one thing, and one thing only, to hit home runs over and over and over. My comparison? A slightly-worse DeSean Jackson. 

4th Round

Laken Tomlinson, OG - Duke

Intelligent, huge, and an amazing blocker, Laken is set to grow into an awesome player. It might take him a season or two to develop his body and his strength, but he could come in and start over whoever is playing at RG immediately next season, and would be able to maul defenders off the line with his physical prowess alone. 

5th Round

Malcolm Brown, RB - Texas

A powerful runner, Brown would bring that 'low-pad' style of running to our team, bursting ahead with strength and power through the line, while shrugging off defenders as he pounds through the offensive line. With a healthy Stewart (here's hoping against hope), Brown could be a bruising change of pace, that would leave defenders feeling like they have to tackle Jon Riggins.

6th Round

Eric Lefeld, OT - Cincinnati

A more athletic offensive tackle, who could compliment the offensive line well at LT, if Flower moves over to RT. Lefeld could play swing tackle, giving us a wealth of options along the line.

7th Round

Braylon Mitchell, OLB - Arkansas

Now, when I say this, don't take it at face value, but we would use Mitchell as a Von Miller type in Smith's system. Now, let that sink in. No, he's nowhere near the physical abilities of Von Miller. No, he is nowhere near as fast as Miller. But damn, if he isn't a blitzing LB. Under the tutelage of Thomas Davis, he could develop into something special.

2015 Project Depth Chart

QB: Cam/Anderson/Webb

RB: Stewart/Whittaker/Brown[r]

WR: Benjamin/Cotchery/Diggs[r]/Bersin

TE: Olsen/Cameron*/Williams

LT: Flowers[r]/Lefeld[r]

LG: Norwell/Silatolu

C: Kalil/Folkerts

RG: Tomlinson[r]/Silatolu

RT: Bell/Lefeld[r]

DE: JPP*/Selvie*/Addison/Horton

DT: Star/Short/Cole

OLB: Davis/Klein/Mitchell[r]/Jacobs

MLB: Kuechly/Klein/Jacobs

CB: Chris Harris*/Norman/White/Dockery

NB: Bene/White

SS: Collins[r]/Lester

FS: Delmas*/Jones

KR: Diggs[r]/Bersin

PR: Diggs[r]

LS: JJ

K: Gano

P: Nortman

I love the draft. I don't think gettleman gets fired, and I don't think Johnson gets cut. As far as starting over with our two starting safeties, I'm all for that. The projected starting lineups look good, but don't discount Foucault starting at right tackle. He looked good last week for a rook and would be at least good depth. Once again I love the draft.

No way we can afford Cameron. His numbers aren't impressive this year but he isn't being targeted often and the Browns aren't using him like they did last season. I would love to get an athletic TE though.

Love Landon Collins, how could anyone not? Kids a stud. I think we might be better off drafting a OT there or Cooper if still on the board and grabbing a guy like Chris Hackett in the mid rounds from TCU.

I think DG stays, not sure we can clean house and convince Cam we're not rebuilding. I doubt Cam wants to stay if he hears the word rebuilding again going into his 5th season. DG has a ton of work to do this offseason and he better start getting serious about helping Cam out or Cam and DG may be gone come 2016.

Got some great players in this mock draft.  I would like to keep DeCoud.  I know people have gotten on him, but I think he's played pretty solid.  Him and Norman have locked down their side of the field these past two games.  Plus he's ran down some guys who broke free for large runs.  I think he's pulling his weight.  Also, I think Ealy is starting to come around.  By next year, I think he'll be playing at a high level.  Him and JPP would make a dangerous combination.

Terrible, terrible coaching decisions and no way will gettlemen be gone after this season but quite possibly the best roster plan I've seen so far.

You forgot to add all our comp picks though. Ginn, munnerlyn, Mitchell and lafell will all net us something.

So we get an individual pick each one. What's the highest round pick we could possibly get?

Archived