• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ryan Kalil's cap figure next year is 11+m

Ruff

lol an average center makes 1/3 what Kalil does or less

Unger is just as good as Kalil and his cap hit is $5.6M vs $11.8M

Is it not amazing? It's like any decent player on our team was supposed to be the highest paid at their position. I can only imagine the contract he would have given Luke or Cam.

Highest paid center

http://overthecap.com/position/center/2015

Highest paid 4-3 defensive end

http://overthecap.com/position/4-3-defensive-end/2015

Highest paid 4-3 OLB

http://overthecap.com/position/4-3-outside-linebacker/2015/

2 of the top 8 paid running backs

http://overthecap.com/position/running-back/2015/

All on terribly structured contracts with massive signing bonuses that would leave huge amounts of dead money if cut. 

We're also looking at $7 million in dead money from Charles Godfrey and (what would have been) a 36 year old Steve Smith.

Our OTs, WRs and secondary as units are either the cheapest in the entire league or damn close. This is why they are weak spots, we're stuck with these dumbfug Hurney contracts and can't afford to sign anyone worth a damn.

There is a misconception on this forum that we are somehow cheap when it comes to players.  We spend as much as most teams do.  The problem is where we spend it.

Instead of having a LT making 10m we have a center with a 11m cap hit next year.

Instead of having a receiver making 8m we have 2 running backs counting for almost 15m next year.

Instead of having a cornerback making 9m we have a olb with a cap hit of 10m next year.

Instead of a safety making 7m we have a DE with a cap hit of 20m next year.

Because of the salary cap there are just so many "big" contracts you can have on a team.  I think we have 7 players with cap hits over 4 million.  This is pretty consistent with the other teams in the league. 

In theory every team should be getting good production out of their big salary guys.  All of those players are on 2nd or 3rd contracts.  You should know what you are getting with them.  Conversely you shouldn't expect much out of cheap free agents.  There is a reason they are cheap.

Everyone likes to get mad at players like Bell but in reality a high dollar player that isn't producing hurts your team way more then a cheap player who isn't.

Players on rookie contracts are the one spot teams have the abilty to get to get high production for cheap prices.  A quality draft class would go a long ways in helping us transition away from some of the bad contracts on this team.

Good points.  

Either way unless we hit the absolute jackpot in the draft next year we probably won't be really competitive until the 2016-2017 season barring another overachieving year.

Unless we win against ATL and NO loses again,  it's going to be in our best interest to tank

Kalil - 2015 cap hit - 11.8 million

10th highest cap hit for a center - 4.8m

11.8m-4.8m= 7m

7 million is considerable more then a "mil or two"

Also I would guess the 10th highest center makes more then the "average center" so in reality the difference would be even more.

http://overthecap.com/position/center/2015/

First of all since Cap hit can be configured a bunch of ways and is easily manipulated so there is little consistency so that number is irrelevant and useless in talking about value. Let me clarify, I was talking about salary And my average was the average of the top 10 centers. If I wasn't clear then sorry but let's be real here. He is considered the best center in the league by many folks so of course he is going to make more than rookies or guys who are not all pros. Still his salary is reasonable for his skill level.

Kalil's salary is 8.1 million. If we look at the 10 ten salaries for centers the average is 6.8 million so his salary is 1.3 more that the average of the top 10.

A real deal considered he is our only legitimate starter. And a muti-year all pro.

Highest paid center

http://overthecap.com/position/center/2015

Highest paid 4-3 defensive end

http://overthecap.com/position/4-3-defensive-end/2015

Highest paid 4-3 OLB

http://overthecap.com/position/4-3-outside-linebacker/2015/

2 of the top 8 paid running backs

http://overthecap.com/position/running-back/2015/

All on terribly structured contracts with massive signing bonuses that would leave huge amounts of dead money if cut.

We're also looking at $7 million in dead money from Charles Godfrey and (what would have been) a 36 year old Steve Smith.

Our OTs, WRs and secondary as units are either the cheapest in the entire league or damn close. This is why they are weak spots, we're stuck with these dumbfug Hurney contracts and can't afford to sign anyone worth a damn.

The problem with your logic is that cap hits are not what we are paying these guys but what their cap hit is which has been impacted by a number of them being restructured to fit everyone under the cap to deal with other bad contracts. For example Kalil's salary is 8.1 million not 11 million and it is the third highest salary but the highest cap because it has been restructured. His salary is the third highest despite him being acknowledged by many as the best center in the league. The problem with using cap hits is that they are easily manipulated and when contracts are restructured just bloat to subsequent years but it isn't money being spend or contracts negotiated by the present administration. Instead they are atempts to fix Hurneys mistakes.

First of all since Cap hit can be configured a bunch of ways and is easily manipulated so there is little consistency so that number is irrelevant and useless in talking about value. Let me clarify, I was talking about salary And my average was the average of the top 10 centers. If I wasn't clear then sorry but let's be real here. He is considered the best center in the league by many folks so of course he is going to make more than rookies or guys who are not all pros. Still his salary is reasonable for his skill level.

Kalil's salary is 8.1 million. If we look at the 10 ten salaries for centers the average is 6.8 million so his salary is 1.3 more that the average of the top 10.

A real deal considered he is our only legitimate starter. And a muti-year all pro.

You are correct, I was talking cap hit and looked at the 10th place salary.  I figured the 10th place salary would actually be higher then the "average center".

The reason I looked at cap hit is because that is the only number that is relevant at this point in time.   As you stated his cap hit for next year is different then what it originally was because of restructures and such.  His original contract might have been in line with his production but for DG all that really matters is his cap hit and production for next year.

The question to keep or cut a player is rather simple (unless you are over the cap).  Can you replace his production for the amount of cap space you would save?

In the case of Kalil can we replace his production for 5.6 million in 2015 and 4.4 million in 2016?  Also you would avoid a 3.6 million cap hit in 2017 for a voidable year where he isn't even under contract.  If the answer is yes you consider letting him go.  If the answer is no you don't.

For what it is worth I would try to keep him next year.  I have a feeling our line will still be quite young next year so his experience will be helpful.

You are correct, I was talking cap hit and looked at the 10th place salary. I figured the 10th place salary would actually be higher then the "average center".

The reason I looked at cap hit is because that is the only number that is relevant at this point in time. As you stated his cap hit for next year is different then what it originally was because of restructures and such. His original contract might have been in line with his production but for DG all that really matters is his cap hit and production for next year.

The question to keep or cut a player is rather simple (unless you are over the cap). Can you replace his production for the amount of cap space you would save?

In the case of Kalil can we replace his production for 5.6 million in 2015 and 4.4 million in 2016? Also you would avoid a 3.6 million cap hit in 2017 for a voidable year where he isn't even under contract. If the answer is yes you consider letting him go. If the answer is no you don't.

For what it is worth I would try to keep him next year. I have a feeling our line will still be quite young next year so his experience will be helpful.

I agree you keep him because he is a true leader on the offense and a guy others rally around. One of the big mistakes that Gettleman made was assuming that you can just replace one guy for another and there is no drop off or problem. Not only did he misjudge the talent of the players he brought in but he gutted the team of Panther veterans and replaced them with no names or veterans who are not always leaders and have no chemistry with who we have here. This team has no heart or fire particularly on offense. Cam may be the leader but it remains to be seen if he can rally them and make the whole better than a simple collection of its parts. That is what we had last year and not now. Add poorer talent and it is no surprise we are so bad.

lol an average center makes 1/3 what Kalil does or less

Unger is just as good as Kalil and his cap hit is $5.6M vs $11.8M

Even the NFL top 100 players ranking think He was the best center years ago with some help at guards. At that time people won't complain about his salary even if it's 15 million.

And who the fug is Ungrr?

Archived