• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shingles

cookinwithgas

Had them back in the 60's when I was a young teen. Fortunately, it's much more bearable as a kid, I think. Don't remember it being such a big deal, I went to summer camp after I'd had them few days.

I thought in some severe cases they could actually sterilize a male if left unchecked.

The problem with shingles is that, unless you've had them before, you don't realize what it is when the tingling/burning/sensitivity starts, and by the time the rash pops up and you do realize it's too late for medications (antivirals) to be effective.

My little brother (23) had shingles behind his ear a couple years ago. He went to urgent care because the location of the shingles gave him a sore throat. He was misdiagnosed with strep throat by the urgent care and by the time they figured it out it was too late for medicine.

He had to take a leave of absence from his job for over 6 months because he was unable to stay on his feet for anytime at all. He passed out in the kitchen one day while he was making food. His shingles are now gone but he has some permanent hearing loss and the cheeks on his left side are still a little bit numb. Shingles is no joke at all.

My little brother (23) had shingles behind his ear a couple years ago. He went to urgent care because the location of the shingles gave him a sore throat. He was misdiagnosed with strep throat by the urgent care and by the time they figured it out it was too late for medicine.

He had to take a leave of absence from his job for over 6 months because he was unable to stay on his feet for anytime at all. He passed out in the kitchen one day while he was making food. His shingles are now gone but he has some permanent hearing loss and the cheeks on his left side are still a little bit numb. Shingles is no joke at all.

That's where I got mine, started behind me left ear and slowly day by day went from the back of my head to my hairline above my left eye.  Next time I got them it started behind my right ear.

I have had them 3 times in 5 years and I am only middle-aged.  Doctor told me insurance won't pay for it until you are 65. 

The only person I would wish them upon is Drew Brees.

The problem with shingles is that, unless you've had them before, you don't realize what it is when the tingling/burning/sensitivity starts, and by the time the rash pops up and you do realize it's too late for medications (antivirals) to be effective.

Yeah it was three years since I had them the last time. I felt a weird scratch/buzz in my chest that should have clued me in right away, but as soon as I felt the back of my arm get numb I went to the doctor and got on the medicine. I've had a bad weekend, but this afternoon I could tell that the pain was going away pretty well, in fact my back hurts worse from all the contortions I had to do to try and get comfortable than anything else now.

A big change from Friday afternoon where the hydrocodone/tylenol stuff helped a little by zoning me out and making it where if I lied completely still the pain might not be so terrible...

well I ended up cooking the turkey and a few other errands this weekend but mostly I slept and did nothing which sucked. Think I slept for 14 hours almost straight Saturday night.

I'm in the office today working and doing a lot better so far, got a heating pad on and taking tylenol still, but at least I don't need the strong stuff like before.

WTF, i thought only old people got them, now im freaking out LOL, i had the poxs as a kid, head to damn toe, i itched like crazy for weeks its seems. 

You'd be changing your user name to "Keep Scratching" :(

(till you get the colonoscopy and it becomes "Keep Squirting") :blink:

Archived