• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2014 Panthers Rookie Grades

Jeremy Igo

This may be the best rookie class the Panthers have ever seen. Here is how I would grade it out taking their draft position or UDFA status into consideration. 

Kelvin Benjamin

1000 yards, 9 TDs. What else do you need to know? Yes, he has had lapses in focus resulting in drops, but overall an exceptional showing for a rookie forced into a #1 receiver role. First round pick, first round production.

Grade - A

Kony Ealy

Ealy is one of the less appreciated rookie's on the team, mainly due to people not understanding how difficult the defensive end position is for a rookie to make an impact. Ealy played in 15 games and had 4 sacks. For comparison sakes, Greg Hardy also played in 15 games his rookie season and recorded 3 sacks. Not bad for a late second round pick.

Grade - A

Trai Turner

Though hobbled by injury early in the season, Turner ended up where I predicted him to be during camp. Namely a solid starting guard. He hasn't given up a sack all season and is a road grader in the run game. All for the price of a 3rd round pick? Hell yes.

Grade - A

Tre Boston

Sidelined for most of the season due to injury, Boston finally saw the field and did an adequate job. He has had lapses in judgement, but also flashes of brilliance. Still, he is a 4th round rookie starting at safety for a playoff team.

Grade - B

Bene Benwikere

Many in the local media blasted him early in camp for mistakes, but I saw something different. Bene showed the physical skills early and once his brain caught up to his legs, Bene became the best corner the Panthers have drafted since Chris Gamble. Not bad for a 5th round selection. If the draft were done over today, "Big Play" Bene would be a first or second rounder. Thats all you need to know.

Grade - A+

Andrew Norwell

The Panthers organization are as excited about UDFA Norwell as they are about 1st round selection Benjamin. Norwell came into camp without any media attention and worked his way into a starting position where he is a monster. Norwell fell out of the draft due to not having the physical measurables... its too bad they haven't developed a way to measure aggressive tenacity.

Grade - A+

Philly Brown

First thrown into the punt return role where he failed, so that will be shown in his grade. But Philly then found his home as the deep threat and occasional end around runner. Since then he has performed better than Ted Ginn. It is a shame it took so long for the Panthers to realize his potential in the passing game even after posting 7 receptions against Pittsburgh early in the season. If the draft were held again today, I would wager Philly would be a mid rounder. Impressive.

Grade - B

David Foucault

Started one game at right tackle and looked awful. Promptly placed back on the Sunday inactives list. Foucault was a multi year project coming in, his only asset being his superior physical frame. Could he be worth it in the long term? Maybe. But this year the grade isn't so good. Lets hope in a few years we look back and laugh at it.

Grade - D

Adarius Glanton

When a rookie UDFA comes in for a starter and does well.... what more can you ask? Glanton filled in for the injured AJ Klein and made some nice plays. There was no noticeable drop off. Glanton has also shown value on special teams. You need these role players on successful teams.

Grade - A

Carrington Byndom

I liked this kid in camp, and was the only one in the media that did. He got a lot of flack from the beat writers. But, he is an UDFA on a playoff team's regular roster. I enjoy being right. Byndom hasn't played many snaps in the three games since being brought up from the practice squad. I am going to give him a C until more information is available next season.

Grade - C

Rookie Awards

Most Valuable - Kelvin Benjamin

Most likely to dismember opponent - Andrew Norwell

Coolest Cat - Trai Turner

Biggest Shoe - David Foucault

Most Improved - Kony Ealy

Ball Hawker - Bene Benwikere

"

Andrew Norwell

The Panthers organization are as excited about UDFA Norwell as they are about 1st round selection Benjamin. Norwell came into camp without any media attention and worked his way into a starting position where he is a monster. Norwell fell out of the draft due to not having the physical measurables... its too bad they haven't developed a way to measure aggressive tenacity.

Grade - A+"

I remember another UDFA, Brad Hoover, who went on to make a big difference in play.  Do you think Norwell will do the same?

I thought Philly had 9 against Pit.

And lol at people fussing about Benjamin because of his drops. I'm just as frustrated with anyone about the big drops he had, but his presence alone was massive and oh yeah, he had over a thousand yards and 9 TDs.

I agree with your rankings Zod and have been as frustrated with Benji in his untimely drops as others here. I have not lost sight of the fact that in the end - he is a rookie and it is atypical to see a rookie reciever have no mental gaffs or mistakes their first season. The upside to this kid is enormous if he works on his hands, blocking and the mental game as he physical gifts are already there. He just needs to connect it all. I hope to see more development out of Philly and another receiver in next year's draft. This is a pretty exciting rookie class and I love to see how quickly they are developing their craft!

a lot of really high grades, a little overly kind frankly. Guys were not always that good. Trai has not been that much of a road grader and Kony has not had THAT good of a year. Just because Greg had 3 sacks and he has 4, doesn't make this an incredible season

KB should probably be a B. He had A LOT of garbage time stats, mostly TD's. And when we needed him to make a crucial play to help the team, many times he dropped a pass, in the case of the seattle game, touchdown passes.  And lets not act like outside of Greg, Cam target him WAYYYYY more than anybody else.

The kid will still be very good for us no doubt, and this year was still very good. But proper perspective is needed here a little bit. For instance....

I'd take at least three wide receivers before I'd take Kelvin in the draft. I'd also take Norwell, Bene and maybe even Turner over him.

But in the end, it's only opinion and mine is no more right than anybody elses.

Let's not get too polarized with the KB talk.  Some are taking fair critiques of his play to mean he is being hated when it's really just people saying they'd give him a B rather than an A.  Best rookie WR ever for the Panthers, but he has stuff to work on.  I'll give him a 90.  

Also, the awesome thing is if you look at that draft (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/5/10/5704890/nfl-draft-results-recap-jadeveon-clowney-johnny-manziel-michael-sam) I don't even think we missed on anyone that substantial between KB and Ealy.  

He isn't weight room strong. But he makes up for it in technique and aggressiveness. I prefer the latter 100% of the time.

Agreed..............I'll take those guys all the time.

Point in case.........Jack Lambert was not weight room strong as a MLBs go........but we all know how his aggressiveness turned out on the football field.

Although he won't win it, KB is at least in the discussion for OROY. Given that, I don't see how he could be graded any lower than maybe a B+.

This is an exceptional rookie WR class. Benjamin performing more or less equal with the best of his peers indicates he'll be a big part of this team for years to come.

But yeah, the drops piss me off too.

Understand your sentiments, but as Jeremy said, 'he was the 28th draft pick cast into the role of starter/#1 receiver, and put up big time numbers' in Shula's offense, remember?

Sure he had some key drops (including last week); which is the reason for his A- grade. However, it doesn't take away from all which was cast upon his this year and what he produced. Okay, so you give the A+ to Odell Beckham Jr. :cool:

I would agree, Jeremy took a more optimistic take overall. I would have, maybe given KB a B+ grade myself (especially after what happen last week and recent games). But if you would have asked me not to long ago, an A- grade may have sufficed as well?

I won't argue with a B+ - especially if he has a good game or two in the playoffs.

Sadly for KB he was put into a situation where he was gonna be "the guy" at the WR position for this team when he was drafted and Smitty was cut. He is gonna get a lot of praise and a lot of blame in his already young career but I think he his the skills sets to handle it. He has shown he can be that bail out guy Cam needs when everyone is being double or triple covered, that is how much Cam trusts him already.

Archived