• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Philly Brown - Subluxed Shoulder

The Saltman

This happens to me quite a bit.  If it's his first time, or one of his first times happening, it will be a struggle for him to go.

I have had mine pop out dozens of times, and now it's only mildly painful.  The first few......well....sucked.

If he has to "go up" for a ball or reach high above his head for a catch, you will most likely see alligator arms, at least on that side.

I have loose tendons in my shoulder and I can dislocate my shoulders at will, but I've had a few instances where force has caused this to happen to me. It can hurt like a bitch, but the pain generally goes away pretty quickly from my experience.

I've never been crushed by an NFL player, so that may not be the case for Brown, but my experience has been pain for 3-4 days before it is mostly back to normal with a minor pain annoyance.

I have loose tendons in my shoulder and I can dislocate my shoulders at will, but I've had a few instances where force has caused this to happen to me. It can hurt like a bitch, but the pain generally goes away pretty quickly from my experience.

I've never been crushed by an NFL player, so that may not be the case for Brown, but my experience has been pain for 3-4 days before it is mostly back to normal with a minor pain annoyance.

As soon as I saw him stand, I knew exactly what had happened.

Like I said, if he's dealt with it before, he will probably be fine.  Those first few times though.....Pain.

The PX can be Tolerable, it is the Function of the Arm/Shoulder that will be the issue. His Supraspinatis/Infrasprinatus  will be sore, along with his Teres Minor. If he can keep down the swelling and keep the shoulder loose, he will be fine.  A person who dislocates there shoulder is prone to do it easier the next time. He needs to rehab the shoulder, and make them muscles strong. A Subluxed shoulder can cause some functonality issues, especially when trying to reach for things, it may not work like it is suppose to.

I had a similar issue with my jaw. A couple things to know. Every body is different. For me the pain was a white noise I could block out and I never had surgery. Some people it's excruciating. My jaw would pop in and out for years after it happened and while it wasn't painful, I could see that being an issue for a pro athlete. 

For Philly he needs to have a full range of motion without it popping out. And beyond that he needs it to not pop out on contact with other players and the ground. It's an oddball thing where maybe the pain is tolerable and there is no serious structural damage. But your shoulder is kind of unreliable. Again everyone is different but this will not disappear by Saturday.

It normally takes 10-16 weeks to fully heal a shoulder Injury. Surgery may need to be done. However, depending on the extent of the injury, it should heal up. Immobilization is key, along with reducing swelling. If Brown wants it that bad, he can work through it. He needs to understand that the shoulder is a sensitive area, and will take alot of rehab to make it strong again.

Archived