• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Shula hate is overblown.

CarolinaCoolin

IMO part of the problem is Shula runs a run-first offense and, for the past few years, we haven't had a great running attack, and we've had to compensate by being ultraconservative. Now that Jonathan Stewart is playing like a top-ten back, we're able to do a lot more an play much more aggressively than we normally would, because we're capable of quicker drives. If we get some decent tackles and round out the receiving corp, we could have a genuinely dangerous offense next season.

I don't think Shula is the best.  But I have read both here and on other sites that we have one of the worst group of receivers in the NFL.  I don't necessarily agree, but certainly we have one of the least experienced groups.  I have also read that for much of the season, we had a subpar offensive line.  I agree with that as do most people.  And our qb spent much of his time this year injured and beat up.  

With all these issues, its certainly possible and perhaps even probable that Shula did the best he could with what he had. 

yep, im sure EVERY job he's had thus far has had "terrible personnel", despite everything improving dramatically in every place he's been after he's been shitcanned. im sure it's just a coincidence, right?

shula fuging sucks dude. he's an awful offensive coordinator. his old ass dad would be an improvement

You are totally a reasonable person and I wish you much success with how you go about your life

7 of the teams we played were top 15 in points allowed.

Our out of division schedule was tough on defense. Our division was weak on defense that's about it.

That leaves 9 in the bottom 17. Two of which we played twice each and they both had the two worst defenses in the nfl.

Come on man.

yep, im sure EVERY job he's had thus far has had "terrible personnel", despite everything improving dramatically in every place he's been after he's been shitcanned. im sure it's just a coincidence, right?

He has only been offensive coordinator once, so I don't think your sample size is sufficient.  He did ok as qb's coach for us and for Jacksonville.  He was head coach at Bama, so I am not sure that counts, but it took a couple of years for Saban to turn things around, and a lot of that was just that Saban is a better recruiter.  And recruiting isn't much of an issue in the pros. 

That has nothing to do with the fact he improved on offense despite all the injuries and terrible personnel.

Him getting another job elsewhere means nothing except to switch the conversation.

Your point was that as we got better players, our offense went from horrible to mediocre which is kind of a "no poo" sort of thing. Also that Shula shouldn't be blamed for not being able to coach around circumstances or injury, along with some nice blame-shifting to the QB. We promoted him to OC when no other team really wanted him as a QB coach and did so just for continuity. He's the Jeff Davidson situation all over again.

You still haven't answered my original question, though. If we were to release him, do you think any other organization would scoop up this bright, innovative talent to run their offense?

IMO part of the problem is Shula runs a run-first offense and, for the past few years, we haven't had a great running attack, and we've had to compensate by being ultraconservative. Now that Jonathan Stewart is playing like a top-ten back, we're able to do a lot more an play much more aggressively than we normally would, because we're capable of quicker drives. If we get some decent tackles and round out the receiving corp, we could have a genuinely dangerous offense next season.

Past that, Ron Rivera wants it run-first.  Look at what Chud did in his second season, second half of that season, and it's essentially what Shula's done since (except Shula has sense and attempts to set up makeable 3rd downs). 

Too much of what Shula is doing is going to be here whether he's fired, gets elected President, or dies from an autoerotic asphsyxiation accident.  This is what this team is. 

Archived