• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cris Carter on RW contract

unicar15

Cams contract will be cap friendly for the first 2 years no matter what they negotiate. And after that it will be restructured like most quarterback contracts because they are so high. By year 7 or 8 the cap will be higher and we will be able to fit his contract and others like Kuechly and Star under it as well. It is not as big a deal as people make it out to be. After all Newton's cap hit this year is already 14 million and we are still way under the cap after including the dead cap money and Johnson's 20 million contract for 2015.

We will be fine. The issue is simply the numbers at this point not the end result. He can get a ton of money up front and we can work it into the cap. The concern is that we might not be able to afford him in 5 years from now but that is a long way off. Lets see if we have rings by then or we could be moving on anyway.

This is what i expect. This is what Flacco did, its what Brady restructured to.

No matter how big or how much, the first 3-4 years will be low caps with bigger cap later. Can be restructured when the time comes.

agreed...and sorry for throwing the word hate in there...you are right...nobody said that.

I can see that happening within a team of course...I just have a hard time thinking it's towards Wilson...there's other people that would hit that list first I think....Lynch, Sherman, Irvin...those guys would make my list before Wilson.

You were right--someone did use the word "hate" inappropriately.  The hawks are doing a good job of paying their core and developing young talent found in the draft.  Recipe for long-term success.

I don't see Wilson as an elite qb.  Lynch is a tremendous luxury that takes a lot of pressure off him.  Wilson likes the big plays because Lynch draws everyone toward the LOS and, eventually, he buys time and they break free deep.  Sustainable success?  I dunno.  Of course, the defense keeping other teams from scoring until Wilson figures it out doesn't hurt.

Good player for the system right now.  High character guy--a student of the game.  Everything you want a QB to be.  So ask me to put my finger on what he cannot do, I can't.  Do I think we would be talking about him if he played for the Jets?  No.

:lolu:  at the Huddle.

So let me get this straight. In the case of Newton, Dalton, Wilson, Kaepernick, Luck, Tannehill, RGIII, etc. they entered the league TAKING A DISCOUNT...

Now, we WANT them to take ANOTHER DISCOUNT... :lolu:

Cam Newton just saw the previous QB to him Bradford make 100+ million dollars, Ryan make 100+ million dollars, Stafford make 100+ million dollars...Cutler make 100+ million dollars, and HE should out of the kindness of his heart give a team that HAD 4 YEARS TO GET HIM WEAPONS while he was on a discount...

What another 3, 4, 5, 10 years for the Panthers to get it together and not allow his line to be filled with undrafted free agents that no else wanted?

Is Luke giving the Panthers ANOTHER discount too?

IF Russell Wilson's so much of a "good guy (the media tells us)", why does so many of his teammates hate him apparently? 

His "image" is all media build up. Just like they did the same about RG3 (and hid Kaepernick's issues), until both started losing/struggling, and the truth had to come out. Don't be suprised if it's the same with Wilson, as many of his teamates feel he's a prima donna apparently.

So I don't think Wilson's personality or demeanor, really has anything to do with how much money he's going to ask for. I think that's up to him, his representatives and Seattle.

Now, if you're saying, you don't feel Wilson will ask for a truck load of money, cause he either doesn't deserve it, or is too reliant on teammates, such as Lynch, then just say it.

You think Wilson, RGIII, and Kaepernick's image is media driven, but you don't think the same about Luck?

Why does the Huddle have such a hardon for the ONE QB that CHOSE to decline coming out in order to avoid coming to this city...

Yet the Huddle hates Wilson, RGIII, and Kaepernick? Am I missing something here? You guys love to rant about those three, but then would petition Richardson to build an idol to Luck outside of BOA?

You think Wilson, RGIII, and Kaepernick's image is media driven, but you don't think the same about Luck?

Why does the Huddle have such a hardon for the ONE QB that CHOSE to decline coming out in order to avoid coming to this city...

Yet the Huddle hates Wilson, RGIII, and Kaepernick? Am I missing something here? You guys love to rant about those three, but then would petition Richardson to build an idol to Luck outside of BOA?

How does Luck come into the picture?

The previous poster brought up Wilson's "image" relative to a contract. So I answered it and gave my feelings.

As far as I know, Luck hasn't had the negative fall out or feedback that RG3, Kaepernick, and even the previously sainted Wilson has experienced, which is why I left him out. So now you want me to make stuff up?

There's a difference between someones image being "media driven", and some else being found an asshole or a phony.

Let's stick to the facts and Wilson's allegedly new contract, and what it would mean to the Seattle team and his teammates.

It's all about money. Players don't care about winning over money, regardless of what they say. Pro sports are a business. Sorry to burst your bubble. Name a QB who took considerably less on a contract "for the betterment of his team." Tom Brady doesn't count, either. He took a paycut, but he's nearly 40 years old and probably would've been released if he hadn't. He didn't give any discounts when he was younger and worth big money.

And the funny thing is, it's all a status game for players- especially QBs. Think about it. On a 6 year deal $15m vs $25m seems drastic, but it's really not. What's the lifestyle difference between someone with $90m vs someone with $150m? There isn't one.

Yet the difference is salary cap flexibility between paying a QB $15m vs $25m is very drastic. Yet literally no QB takes that paycut. Not even the most competitive guys- Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, Flacco, etc. They all took every penny they could. If those guys truly, truly cared about winning at least one of them would have taken a small deal. Nobody does.

If Cam took a huge discount I would be disappointed in him as a man.  His responsibilities should be to his family/legacy first.  Calculating the difference "long term" between 15 mill and 25 mill is huge.    It's not his job to manage the salary cap, just as it's not Gettlemans job to get hit by Kam Chancellor. The salary cap is a cap on "owners who truly care about winning".   Do any of you think for 1 second that Jerry Jones wouldn't have the highest paid team in the league? 

The teams that get in salary cap trouble are teams who don't recognize their talent early and pay appropriately.  Managing dead money properly, avoiding huge numbers like CJ's 20 mill cap hit, and JStews/Dwill we can't afford to cut him type salaries are the GM decisions.   The fact that we are cap strapped was poor financial planning.  We negotiated like a small business handing out friendly contracts to our best players.  Julius Peppers did us a favor by leaving before we gave him that 100 mill contract.

If Cam took a huge discount I would be disappointed in him as a man.  His responsibilities should be to his family/legacy first.  Calculating the difference "long term" between 15 mill and 25 mill is huge.    It's not his job to manage the salary cap, just as it's not Gettlemans job to get hit by Kam Chancellor. 

This is a ridiculous comment. You'd be disappointing in him as a man for having different ambitions or life goals to you? 

This is a ridiculous comment. You'd be disappointing in him as a man for having different ambitions or life goals to you? 

Yes.  In the same way others here may be disappointed if he took a huge salary cap eating contract.  Cam taking a discount in no way guarantees the money will be spent wisely.   Everyone says well that's (insert number) can be used for the Oline.   What if the Olineman you pay sucks?  Then people blame the GM but Cam is still short however much money he should have actually gotten. 

His responsibility should imo be to his families financial well being. That way his blessing wouldn't just benefit him and his kids, but future generations of Newtons.  To be able to give them the financial and cultural head starts that others get would be huge.  That way it allows others in his family to have the flexibility to have different ambitions and goals.

edit:

That being said, I think a contract could be made the both rewards Cam Newton but doesn't cripple the team financially.   A little give on both parties side could make it work. 

Archived