• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

4 Things Greg Hardy Must Do to Remain a Panther

Jeremy Igo

You aren't getting what I am saying.

In the last month of the year and the playoffs, the defense was ranked what 3rd? Thats what happened when the rookies caught up and started playing.

I feel like that defense is good enough to win a Superbowl without Hardy. Would it be better with Hardy? Sure, but its good enough now. Take the resources that we would have spent on him and spend it on the OL.

Exactly. They cannot afford to dump big money into Hardy. And if anyone thinks he will play for chump change, you are dreaming. Don't buy that bullcrap.

The man said last season he would give a "hometown disount"...how did that go?

Did alright? Did you watch the defense in December and in the playoffs? They were as good as any Panthers unit over the past decade.

Playing who? I agree they looked alot better against the Falcons Oline, Ryan Lindley, Josh Mccown and Johnny Rehab, but when we came up against the Seahawks we struggled again. 

Look at some of the blowouts we had earlier in the year and you can't tell me that we wouldn't have been more competent in defence with a 16 sack DE lining up for us. 

I think many of those blowouts where due to the coaching staff insisting on playing guys that sucked while the younger guys where either hurt or sitting on the bench. As soon as they inserted new blood into the secondary and oline, the improvement was obvious.

You aren't talking neuroscience. Of course I get what you're saying. My point is if a guy makes you a better team he is needed on the team. That's it. I prefer great over good enough. Just me though.

How great we would be with or without him depends on who we could potentially sign to replace him.  An extra 13 million or so in available cap might allow us to sign two solid free agents.  For example, what if by not signing Hardy, we can sign a solid safety, as well as a tackle.  Or another defensive end who while not as good as Hardy, is solid and combine that with a speedy wide receiver with decent hands?  Would you rather have two good players who don't get in trouble much, or one possibly elite player who may or may not have behavioral problems.  

That is at least one of the dilemma's facing Gettleman and company this off season.  I think he will likely take the additional cap space and avoid the potential risk of resigning Hardy to a long term contract.  But we shall soon see. 

You aren't talking neuroscience. Of course I get what you're saying. My point is if a guy makes you a better team he is needed on the team. That's it. I prefer great over good enough. Just me though.

Based on what we saw at the end of the season, answer this question.

Which one of the following makes the team better?

A.  Spend $10-15M a season on Hardy

B.  Roll with our current DLine (maybe adding a rookie) and spend that same $10-15M on the OL, WR, and Secondary

If you still think we should sign Hardy and spend that cash...facepalm.

Yeah I'm happy we got a playoff win, but if you aren't concerned with 6 blowout losses in one season, you're lying to yourself.

None of this will matter, Hardy included, if Ron Rivera shows up to start the 2015 season having learned nothing from his mistakes again.

We had two wins last season against teams with winning records. One of those was in the playoffs.

Yeah I think we could get by without Hardy, but I think saying we are better off is a bit of a stretch.

I'd rather use the resources on oline and wr then locking hardy up. It sucks because the dude is top 5 defensive ends and a game changer. But he fuged this organization. No denying that. I get what Jeremy is saying. We did well without him down the stretch. Ealy looks to be developing to play at a high level.

Our resources on defense should go to our dbs. Need to be more well rounded. Obviously if he's willing to play for vet minimum who cares then but I don't see it happening.

How great we would be with or without him depends on who we could potentially sign to replace him.  An extra 13 million or so in available cap might allow us to sign two solid free agents.  For example, what if by not signing Hardy, we can sign a solid safety, as well as a tackle.  Or another defensive end who while not as good as Hardy, is solid and combine that with a speedy wide receiver with decent hands?  Would you rather have two good players who don't get in trouble much, or one possibly elite player who may or may not have behavioral problems.  

That is at least one of the dilemma's facing Gettleman and company this off season.  I think he will likely take the additional cap space and avoid the potential risk of resigning Hardy to a long term contract.  But we shall soon see. 

And there you go boys and girls....a true voice of sense and reason.

Without the risk and issues with Hardy, it would be a tough decision where to invest that much money.  Add the issues, and I think this is a much easier decision for Gett to make.

How great we would be with or without him depends on who we could potentially sign to replace him. An extra 13 million or so in available cap might allow us to sign two solid free agents. For example, what if by not signing Hardy, we can sign a solid safety, as well as a tackle. Or another defensive end who while not as good as Hardy, is solid and combine that with a speedy wide receiver with decent hands? Would you rather have two good players who don't get in trouble much, or one possibly elite player who may or may not have behavioral problems.

That is at least one of the dilemma's facing Gettleman and company this off season. I think he will likely take the additional cap space and avoid the potential risk of resigning Hardy to a long term contract. But we shall soon see.

Absolutely. I understand the salary aspect and yes it is a tough decision for a front office to make. I get that. Personally I take Hardy 9/10. But to act like we don't need him just irked me. Our defense was all time great in 13. He and his presence on the dline are one of the main reasons. We saw Star take regress and I think Hardy's absense was a factor.

This guy is hard to replace but I get what you're saying.

I'd rather use the resources on oline and wr then locking hardy up. It sucks because the dude is top 5 defensive ends and a game changer. But he fuged this organization. No denying that. I get what Jeremy is saying. We did well without him down the stretch. Ealy looks to be developing to play at a high level.

Our resources on defense should go to our dbs. Need to be more well rounded. Obviously if he's willing to play for vet minimum who cares then but I don't see it happening.

6 blowout losses in 10 games isn't exactly doing well. Yes we picked things back up after our division crumbled around us, and beat some bad teams, but the upcoming 2015 season will be the ultimate and final test for Ron as the head coach of this football team moving forward.

We have bigger concerns than Hardy honestly.

Everything hinges on Rivera, in my opinion at least.

Playing who? I agree they looked alot better against the Falcons Oline, Ryan Lindley, Josh Mccown and Johnny Rehab, but when we came up against the Seahawks we struggled again. 

Look at some of the blowouts we had earlier in the year and you can't tell me that we wouldn't have been more competent in defence with a 16 sack DE lining up for us. 

The defense played fairly well against Seattle.  Wilson didn't kill us, and Lynch was held to less than 4 ypc.  Turnovers did us in.  Seattle scored two td's off those turnovers, one with a short field, the other a pick 6. 

Archived