• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Class Registration

Mark S

Also, AP US History is Amercian History 1 (Junior Year) and American History 2 (Senior Year) summed up into one course. So if I took it, then I wouldn't have to take a history class my senior year. My teacher basically recommended that I take AP US History during Junior Year and AP World History (elective) during Senior Year. I think that's the direction I'm leaning towards.

I spent just about no time doing any homework or work when I was in school. Never took a language, no AP or honors, got Bs in english and history As in science and math, took my SATs hungover and I had no problems getting into solid schools, even got scholarships some places. Enjoy yourself in high school (and I don't mean go out drinking and smoking weed and partying, etc., that's a complete waste of time and bad for your health and mindset) and explore your interests. If you're sincerely interested in learning about US history (or whatever other subject) and want to take AP then go for it. But if you're just taking certain classes to look good for colleges you should reconsider. If you're interested in football, architecture, art, music or whatever spend your time on that, not just on school.

I spent just about no time doing any homework or work when I was in school. Never took a language, no AP or honors, got Bs in english and history As in science and math, took my SATs hungover and I had no problems getting into solid schools, even got scholarships some places. Enjoy yourself in high school (and I don't mean go out drinking and smoking weed and partying, etc., that's a complete waste of time and bad for your health and mindset) and explore your interests. If you're sincerely interested in learning about US history (or whatever other subject) and want to take AP then go for it. But if you're just taking certain classes to look good for colleges you should reconsider. If you're interested in football, architecture, art, music or whatever spend your time on that, not just on school.

I agree with you and I've heard that opinion of several people. Even my teacher was saying that she only took one AP and she got into Michigan. But I think times have changed, because more people do AP's now, the competition has increased, which means colleges are gonna accept those who did more, maybe not necessarily, but for some part of it.

Don't get me wrong, school isn't my life, and I don't plan on it being so, but with pressure from my parents/society, I try to do the most I can.

I agree with you and I've heard that opinion of several people. Even my teacher was saying that she only took one AP and she got into Michigan. But I think times have changed, because more people do AP's now, the competition has increased, which means colleges are gonna accept those who did more, maybe not necessarily, but for some part of it.

Don't get me wrong, school isn't my life, and I don't plan on it being so, but with pressure from my parents/society, I try to do the most I can.

Good luck man.

I'm a recent graduate from college so all of this is pretty fresh in my mind, send me a PM if you want some advice. 

fair warning: I took 7 AP courses in high school and was not prepared at all for university level science courses. It takes another level of commitment in a place where you can literally do whatever you want.  

All that being said, I was recently accepted to medical school, so obviously I finally got that studying thing down pat. 

Early questions I would have: What's your GPA? Have you taken honors or standard courses? What were the sciences you took freshman and sophomore year? What's your favorite subject to study/do you have an idea of what you might want to major in? (completely fine if you don't I would advocate going into college with a clear slate) What are realistic schools and your pie in the sky schools? Stuff like that. 

I'm a recent graduate from college so all of this is pretty fresh in my mind, send me a PM if you want some advice.

Q

fair warning: I took 7 AP courses in high school and was not prepared at all for university level science courses. It takes another level of commitment in a place where you can literally do whatever you want.

All that being said, I was recently accepted to medical school, so obviously I finally got that studying thing down pat.

Early questions I would have: What's your GPA? Have you taken honors or standard courses? What were the sciences you took freshman and sophomore year? What's your favorite subject to study/do you have an idea of what you might want to major in? (completely fine if you don't I would advocate going into college with a clear slate) What are realistic schools and your pie in the sky schools? Stuff like that.

Thanks, nice to hear this kind of perspective. Want me to PM you the answers or post them here?

AP classes aren't going to hold weight into your college acceptance, as a matter of fact you don't even send your scores to the tests in with your application, it's a seperate thing you do through the collegeboard website. My biggest piece of advice I can give you is APPLY FOR EVERY SCHOLARSHIP YOU CAN. Trust me I wish I would have done it, I'm a senior getting accepted to great universities (haven't sent them my ap scores yet either) , but I won't be financially able to attend most of them because I can't afford it. Get your education paid for by someone other than yourself, that's the best thing you can do.

are you coming to greensboro this week for the conference?

I qualified for conference. But after regionals, my parents had bought me a lot of presents and I would have went over the top if I had asked to go to conference as well. It's okay though because I was only in the standard, which mostly everyone qualifies for. 'll probably sign up for a harder event next year.

Are you a part of DECA competitions or?

AP classes aren't going to hold weight into your college acceptance, as a matter of fact you don't even send your scores to the tests in with your application, it's a seperate thing you do through the collegeboard website. My biggest piece of advice I can give you is APPLY FOR EVERY SCHOLARSHIP YOU CAN. Trust me I wish I would have done it, I'm a senior getting accepted to great universities (haven't sent them my ap scores yet either) , but I won't be financially able to attend most of them because I can't afford it. Get your education paid for by someone other than yourself, that's the best thing you can do.

I'll definitely do the best I can, I don't want any more financial burden than I need. Next year will be a long one.

Why would someone recommend against AP English? Unless the teacher is retarded, you should always opt for the AP class. You are taking English any way, why not got with AP English?

Also, I agree to take an Excel class instead of a Word class, unless you plan on majoring in English, or being a writer.

Archived