• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers and Cam Newton in contract talks

bLACKpANTHER

As has already been said. Drafting studs year in year out will be key unless of course Newton makes a very significant improvement in his play next season.

ATL has given Ryan a big contract but still have a lot of cap space. They were also able to spend a lot last off season. They're problems seem to be bad drafting.

On the other hand, the Saints are 20mil over the cap with big money due for Brees and can't afford any major upgrades this offseason.

So there are examples to both sides, unfortunately the common denominator is that both those teams are not doing well since those big money contracts. I will contend that if ATL had stud players like Luke and Olsen etc, then that cap space they have may not be that big.

Well, it's rumored that the Cawks might offer Wilson a 100% guaranteed contract a la baseball type deals. If this happens then It's a whole new ballgame.

Yeah I heard about that but I don't see it happening. He'll get a lot guaranteed, but not fully. Fully guaranteed for a QB as small as him who runs a lot would be absolutely fuging outrageous. One injury, and bam your team's done. Even if he were to get that I couldn't see Gettleman offering Cam 70 million guaranteed. He's not a guy to just throw out guaranteed money to a player who's not quite elite yet.

He posted on Instagram today too! Needless to say today has been a rollercoaster ride.

He's like a sniper, just waiting to poop on your opinion. Then he disappears like a fart in the wind, leaving me to feel like a dude with a tiny penis left lying naked and unconscious in the middle of a mall food court at lunchtime.
  • Pie 1

Our ace in the hole is JR. JR loves him some Cam. I think he'd intervene if it came to Cam bolting.

Agreed. When Cam was drafted I recall JR saying Cam would be the last QB drafted while he was still alive. Cam has done everything JR has expected. He's gonna get paid. JR owns the team, Gettleman works for him.

• Pie 5

If I was the consensus leader and franchise quarterback of the team, already a millionaire and beloved by fans AND wanted to win a superbowl? You're absolutely right. But hey I'm old fashioned.

I wouldn't. Give me more. If I'm playing a game that could cause me to die young, be wheel chair bound, or to shart on national TV, I want the dollars. I don't care if the Panthwrs have the best Uni's and worst home field advantage, I want them dolla's.

• Pie 3

No way. He is gonna be in at least the same range as these guys: http://wallstcheatsheet.com/sports/7-nfl-quarterbacks-who-are-really-making-the-most-money.html/?a=viewall

Being that he is young, up and coming, and basically better than Kaepernick, his contract---that is his guarantees---could easily be more.

22-24 per year with 40-50 of it guaranteed would be above those guys... 

http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

He'd have more guaranteed than those guys except for Rodgers and would be making the most per year of anybody. I don't know what Luck and Wilson will get, but I guarantee you if G-man straight up offered 6 years $135M with $45M guaranteed today, he and his party would accept it, because it would be the best contract of any QB in the league (until Luck/Wilson sign). I don't know what the fug that article is talking about with Kaepernick's guaranteed because he has basically nothing guaranteed and if he's not an All-Pro or NFC Champion his salary goes down every year, and they can cut him any year after the first two without having to pay him another dime. 

I wouldn't. Give me more. If I'm playing a game that could cause me to die young, be wheel chair bound, or to shart on national TV, I want the dollars. I don't care if the Panthwrs have the best Uni's and worst home field advantage, I want them dolla's.

And that's the difference between the love of the game and the money