• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Sign Michael Oher

Mr. Scot

what you see as hate i see as truth. open your eyes. Oher sucks bad. Very bad.

That's why nobody flagged you for spamming. You are entitled to your opinion and it's just as valuable as anybody else's opinion here (sans Igo).

Just be considerate and don't spam 8 pages of a thread with witty tweets from people across the country on how awful Michael Oher is.

If you want to say how much you hate the signing and how bad the guy is, try to at least make the thoughts your own.

• Pie 2

I don't know what all the hubbub is about. Until I know otherwise, I am going to assume that he signed a deal that allows us to release him in case he is just plain poo at the position at worst, and at best the coaches get to work with him to bring out his best over the next few months. I figure that G-man figures Other has a puncher's chance of being a solution at LT at best, or provide some depth at RT at worst.

I do believe that as a fan the smartest thing to do in regards to Oher is to hope for the best, be prepared for the worst, but expect somewhere in between.

There weren't many good options out there to begin with, so I always believed that our next LT would either be Remmers, or a draftee that will either start day one, or take over near mid season for Remmers or a free agent.

i agree that we just got to hope for the best with Oher if he ever makes the team or gets a start. that's highly unlikely tho

Edited by gettlemanjack

I don't know what all the hubbub is about. Until I know otherwise, I am going to assume that he signed a deal that allows us to release him in case he is just plain poo at the position at worst, and at best the coaches get to work with him to bring out his best over the next few months. I figure that G-man figures Other has a puncher's chance of being a solution at LT at best, or provide some depth at RT at worst.

I do believe that as a fan the smartest thing to do in regards to Oher is to hope for the best, be prepared for the worst, but expect somewhere in between.

There weren't many good options out there to begin with, so I always believed that our next LT would either be Remmers, or a draftee that will either start day one, or take over near mid season for Remmers or a free agent.

I think between the toe thing and Matsko's input, Gettleman figured he had a good chance at being at least a marginal upgrade.

I would also assume he's felt that way for at least a little while considering he notified Bell that we wouldn't be resigning him a few weeks ago.

• Pie 1

You'd think some would have learned with Mike Mitchell and Ted Ginn that just because guys have sucked elsewhere doesn't automatically mean they'll suck here. Different coaches, different systems, different expectations.

Virtually everyone across the board thought the Mike Mitchell signing was a waste of time and the guy played so well for us that he landed a bog money deal with the Steelers.

This!

I love this signing. Kid has talent! His best years were with his original OL coach who happens to be on this staff. He had a pretty nagging toe injury which has slowed him the last few years and those can really be big see mario williams and our own Stewart the last few years

A first round guy isn't even going to come right in anyways and be the answer (see how we eased Gross in at RT to start) and that's even if they pan out (Remember Oher was that hyped first round OT once to). Think Oher could be as good of an answer as we can get for a little while. Would love to grab the Texas A&M kid late in the 3rd to ease in though

• Pie 1

Back to the topic---I see it this way:

Matsko, Gettlemen, Rivera, etc.  had tons of film to observe.  They interviewed him.  They signed him.  Does anyone think they would have signed him had he totally sucked?  There is something there they feel they can work with or they would not have bothered.  If you want to improve your portfolio, you don't spend your wad on high flyers. You get rich by finding gems in the heap of gravel. 

How many times will Gettlemen have to do this before people stop doubting his eye?

Fact: There are no superstars in free agency at OT.  There are few who can play LT.  We grabbed one before the bidding wars started.  If he gets no worse, he is decent backup material.  If he gets better, and all signs point to at least a modest improvement, then this is a solid signing.  Nobody said he is the new starting LT.  Nobody said he will start. 

You build the roster from the bottom up.  Bottom line: When we did not re-sign Bell and signed Oher, we got better.  How much better?  Who knows.  However, what did anyone expect from a free agent, OT signing? 

Gettlemenjack is in no way a talent evaluator.  Nor am I or anyone else.  But he needs to change his username if he is going to doubt our GM. 

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

You'd think some would have learned with Mike Mitchell and Ted Ginn that just because guys have sucked elsewhere doesn't automatically mean they'll suck here. Different coaches, different systems, different expectations.

Virtually everyone across the board thought the Mike Mitchell signing was a waste of time and the guy played so well for us that he landed a bog money deal with the Steelers.

it goes around and around in circles.  many of the same people poo-talking the ted ginn signing and posting about what a travesty it was that brandon lafell was going to be our number two receiver in 2013 pitched a fit when both of them were let walk last offseason.

i think gettleman has been impressive so far when it comes to talent evaluation, albeit with a few hiccups.  if he sees something in michael oher then i'm at the point now where i trust his judgment until proven otherwise.  once his OL signings started to get some playing time the panthers did vaguely resemble an actual NFL team last season.

Edited by I Mean He Was Found Guilty

mmm. See the kind of bulbs we have on the tree here? Let them be blissfully happy their Dad got them a bag of dog poop for Christmas and they love it and think it's great? Is that what you want?

What if the bag of dog poop used to be good and has a chance to maybe be at least serviceable again and all the Turbo Man action figures have been sold out?

• Pie 1

This was my exact thought as well.

I mean, we've seen how Gettleman works at this point.  There's not a chance in hell he's thrown a huge amount of guaranteed money at Oher.  And, that being the case, I really don't see the downside to this signing.

Back to the topic---I see it this way:

Matsko, Gettlemen, Rivera, etc.  had tons of film to observe.  They interviewed him.  They signed him.  Does anyone think they would have signed him had he totally sucked?  There is something there they feel they can work with or they would not have bothered.  If you want to improve your portfolio, you don't spend your wad on high flyers. You get rich by finding gems in the heap of gravel. 

How many times will Gettlemen have to do this before people stop doubting his eye?

Fact: There are no superstars in free agency at OT.  There are few who can play LT.  We grabbed one before the bidding wars started.  If he gets no worse, he is decent backup material.  If he gets better, and all signs point to at least a modest improvement, then this is a solid signing.  Nobody said he is the new starting LT.  Nobody said he will start. 

You build the roster from the bottom up.  Bottom line: When we did not re-sign Bell and signed Oher, we got better.  How much better?  Who knows.  However, what did anyone expect from a free agent, OT signing? 

Gettlemenjack is in no way a talent evaluator.  Nor am I or anyone else.  But he needs to change his username if he is going to doubt our GM. 

You don't trust g'jacks favorite media member tweets over the eye of Dave Gettleman and Matsko?

What kind of horrible monster are you?

• Pie 1