• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ted Ginn update

Jeremy Igo

QUESTION: Do signing these players at the end of the 2014 NFL year hurt our chances to get comp picks next month?

According to Voth, apparently not:

The Panthers targeted offensive tackle Michael Oher and Ginn early, hoping to land them by the time free agency opens Tuesday afternoon. Not only do they help in positions of need, but neither will count against Carolina’s potential compensatory picks next year. Last offseason didn’t go as planned for general manager Dave Gettleman, but so far he’s batting .1000.

http://blackandbluereview.com/reactions-ted-ginn-returns/

Just the opposite.

Per Voth, signing them before the free agency period starts means they won't figure in the compensatory pick formula for this year.

(I guess this means they count as part of last year's transactions)

OK, you need to go slower with me.  I think Voth said "next year" which means the 2015 NFL season.  He did not mention this (2014) year, at least, I don't think so.

If we lost Ginn to free agency during the 2014 NFL year and then got him back that same year, then it seems that the acquisition would nullify the loss of a free agent entering the 2015 season. 

I need graphs and charts to comprehend this!!

According to Voth, apparently not:

http://blackandbluereview.com/reactions-ted-ginn-returns/

Forwarding this to you--sent to Mr Scot a minute ago--

I think Voth said "next year" which means the 2015 NFL season (?)  He did not mention this (2014) year, at least, I don't think so. (I assume the comp picks for 2014 will be determined next month).

If we lost Ginn to free agency during the 2014 NFL year and then got him back that same year, then it seems that the acquisition would nullify the loss of a free agent entering the 2015 season. 

OK, you need to go slower with me. I think Voth said "next year" which means the 2015 NFL season. He did not mention this (2014) year, at least, I don't think so.

I need graphs and charts to comprehend this!!

It's quoted above.

Basically this year's free agency determines next year's picks.

Best analogy I could give is think of it like your utility bills that bill a month ahead.

(or just read Voth; he knows it better than me) :lol:

Archived