• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Someone Explain This Poo To Me

chknwing

How can we be sure they’ll convert the roster bonus to a signing bonus? Well, for one, they need the cap space. The other reason it’s likely is that they’ve already agreed to make the same move with another of their key contributors, Galette. The pass-rusher’s deal was even more ungainly, as it contained a $12.5 million roster bonus payable in 2015, the second year of his deal. Now, once the bonus changes, it’ll instead spread that $12.5 million figure over the remaining five years of Galette’s deal. For a guy who struggles against the run and has just seven sacks this season, that’s too much money.

That’ll cut Galette’s 2015 cap figure down to just $5.5 million, saving the Saints $10 million in much-needed cap room next year, but just as with Byrd, the Saints are far more vulnerable if Galette isn’t worth the money. In 2016, the Saints can either pay Galette a $5 million base salary that guarantees on the third day of the league year or release him. Under his current deal, that would result in just $2.1 million in dead money. Under the deal with the roster bonus converted to a signing bonus, the Saints would instead owe $12.1 million in dead money.

The Saints made moves like these to avoid paying market-value signing bonuses in 2014. The difference between a traditional deal and these eventual restructured deals isn’t particularly large, but because the Saints weren’t paying those bonuses up front at the beginning of the deals, they were forced to (at least partially) guarantee more money down the line, notably with those third- and fourth-year base salaries that are guaranteed days into their respective league years. To save a few million bucks in 2014, the Saints were willing to kick the proverbial can down the road, running the risk they would be stuck with big contracts and lose-lose decisions with unproductive players down the line. Had they built a Super Bowl contender in 2014, nobody would really have cared. But they didn’t.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/new-orleans-saints-salary-cap/

It was a $12.5 million roster bonus. Basically a trigger in the contract to allow cap cap flexibility. Instead of the roster bonus being given to him this year and the whole cap hit counting against this year, which would have made his cap hit over $15 million, he gets the same amount of money this year, but the signing bonus is pro rated and spread through the contract at $2.5 million for the rest of the deal.

Restructuring only works for players you have a long term plan for.

Galette is 26 and about to enter his prime. Why would they want to release him?

They'll have an elite player now and in the future, and as cap space comes available by the natural progression of the roster over the years, they'll be in position to sign quality free agents both in the present and forward.

Hurney gave backloaded contracts to aging players at a near-meaningless position

That was his error. Not the philosophy of pushing money back. It's a fairly common practice around the league that allows teams to get the best possible roster both now and in future years.

who said anything about galette?  i said guards, as in jahri evans and ben grubbs.  grubbs has a cap figure close to $9 million and evans is around $7.5 million.  it's been rumored that one or both of them could be released for months now.

i don't have a problem with the philosophy of pushing money back if it's done in a way that makes sense.  the saints are in a situation where they're way over the cap and are about to not have a quarterback in the next two-three years.  if they pull several restructures now they could be in a shitfest that would make the panthers of the past few years look good in the coming years.

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today. Wonder how many of you even get that?

I do, and it's an accurate metaphor.

Basically, restructuring provides cap space now, but does so by taking it away later.

Maybe the best way to explain it is it's like if your bank allows you to skip a loan payment this month but tells you two payments absolutely must be paid next month and no leeway will be given.

As such, it's a temporary solution with bad consequences down the road.

Fans tend to cheer about it when they hear of it happening, but I'm not so sure they should.

who said anything about galette? i said guards, as in jahri evans and ben grubbs. grubbs has a cap figure close to $9 million and evans is around $7.5 million. it's been rumored that one or both of them could be released for months now.

i don't have a problem with the philosophy of pushing money back if it's done in a way that makes sense. the saints are in a situation where they're way over the cap and are about to not have a quarterback in the next two-three years. if they pull several restructures now they could be in a shitfest that would make the panthers of the past few years look good in the coming years.

The Saints are under the cap for next year with a $27 million cap hit for Drew Brees. I admit, I expected an extension this offseason, but you get the feeling they have a wait and see how things turn out this year kind of attitude. If the Saints have another sub .500 season, things could be blown up.

Either way, the Saints aren't as screwed cap wise for the future as many of you want to believe.

The Saints are under the cap for next year with a $27 million cap hit for Drew Brees. I admit, I expected an extension this offseason, but you get the feeling they have a wait and see how things turn out this year kind of attitude. If the Saints have another sub .500 season, things could be blown up.

Either way, the Saints aren't as screwed cap wise for the future as many of you want to believe.

Or... maybe they're way more screwed than you want to admit?

Thanks. But we're going back to the dam is about to...I mean the sky is fall...err the hurricane is about to make... Forget it

His 12.5 million dollar cap hit became fully guaranteed and spread out of the life of the contract (meaning if the cut him in the future it will count immediately against the cap)

Doing things like that is HOW you make a cap situation worse not better they are just borrowing from future years caps in essence.

So you see the stupidity in what you just suggested now?

I don't think it's quite fair to call it 'stupidity' when he's admitting up front he doesn't understand how the process works.

I'd much rather someone ask for an explanation than go on talking about something they clearly don't understand.

(and let's be real; that happens a lot around here)

they restructured byrd recently too

they're a weak comparison for the panthers anyway.  they're trying to win a super bowl now like the broncos were when they brought in manning so they're willing to take some risks.  we have to worry about locking up a franchise quarterback and a game changing elite middle linebacker soon which is why we're largely standing pat.  if the projections hold we could have the most cap space in the league or close to it in 2016 thanks to that.

His 12.5 million dollar cap hit became fully guaranteed and spread out of the life of the contract (meaning if the cut him in the future it will count immediately against the cap)

Doing things like that is HOW you make a cap situation worse not better they are just borrowing from future years caps in essence.

So you see the stupidity in what you just suggested now?

That's true. And exactly why you only restructure young players you intend on keeping through the life of their contract.

Archived