• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Free Agency Update Thread

Mr. Scot

The only thing that really matters in an NFL contract is the guaranteed money.  Agents know that.  Informed players know that.  Informed fans know that.

If they offered $20M guaranteed and we were only willing to do say $12M guaranteed, he's signing with them, even if the overall "value" of the contracts were the same.

What about 20 Million guaranteed to go to a gutted team or 15 million to go to a team that is near contender level?

Of course but let us say that they have a choice to go to a team that is offering a little less guaranteed but has a good enough core with your addition to win at a super bowl level. It happens a lot in sports. Spitting in my face is a bad idea. I will say that all this talk of spit is making me thirsty.

In that case they may take it, but it still very rarely happens.  We had Smith on our radar, and with all the poo that's happening in San Fran, you'd think we're the better choice... money talks.

He'd almost certainly take the $20M.

It is not a guarantee though he will. See that is what I never hear about the Panthers they never even pursue free agents most years. With this team you can sell it as being close to a contender but with help needed on offense before that can be the case. Some people will take a little less to play for a team that they feel they can help win a super bowl.

Well, shame free agency and the draft already ended, huh? :unsure:

If we make the playoffs this year it will definitely validate the previous two years. Three years in a row isn't a fluke and our schedule is pretty tough on paper...at the very least the teams we play are usually good/tough.

If we didn't have Shula I'd love our chances...his presence really hurts our potential no matter who we draft or sign. Also how many potential upgrades are going to sit on the bench this year while we wait on their coach designated starters to get injured? Last year the injury bug helped us for once as it exposed what most of us knew and that is Rivera was starting people who had no business starting...and the better player was on the bench.

fugin Godfrey was starting...in the SLOT....last year....lulz

This coaching staff scares me...the players and GM I'm pretty ok with.

In that case they may take it, but it still very rarely happens.  We had Smith on our radar, and with all the poo that's happening in San Fran, you'd think we're the better choice... money talks.

Of course but if we had offered him 7 million a year with same guaranteed money do you think he still goes to San Fran? I say no.

It is not a guarantee though he will. See that is what I never hear about the Panthers they never even pursue free agents most years. With this team you can sell it as being close to a contender but with help needed on offense before that can be the case. Some people will take a little less to play for a team that they feel they can help win a super bowl.

The fact that we don't have a beat writer worth a damn means that there's probably a lot of stuff that goes on behind the scenes that we fans never catch wind of.  Just because the national media doesn't report something doesn't mean we didn't inquire.  Who's to say Gettleman didn't reach out to Smith's agent to see what they were looking for and upon hearing, simply said, "Well then, best of luck."

Relying on drafting a WR to fill a number two spot is a shaky proposal and free agency at WR is over pretty much. Cam will be stuck waiting for receivers to get open after 5 seconds again next season. I smell coverage sacks for everyone.

Yeah...Over, after less than three hours :lol:

(Wow) :rolleyes:

The fact that we don't have a beat writer worth a damn means that there's probably a lot of stuff that goes on behind the scenes that we fans never catch wind of.  Just because the national media doesn't report something doesn't mean we didn't inquire.  Who's to say Gettleman didn't reach out to Smith's agent to see what they were looking for and upon hearing, simply said, "Well then, best of luck."

I guess that is true but Gettleman just doesn't strike me as that guy. He is good in the draft but free agency I question his ability.

Archived