• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The reason Cam isn't in a hurry to sign a contract

GoobyPls

Maybe. There were reports we were negotiating though, a while back. I understand those guys are around the same age but other top QBs have signed new deals this year and last. I think they have a pretty good idea of what the market is and what the cap will be. I don't think that's an issue at all, at least from the clubs side at this point. In my opinion, there is only downside to waiting for those guys to set the market, again from the clubs side.

I agree the club doesn't want for the market to be set by those two but as you say it won't drastically change the market...I assume.

But we also couldn't sign him now unless the first yr of the new contract was less than this year. But next year nine of those problems exist. So signing him next year makes the most sense for both sides. And while I agree w Ace Boogie that Cam wants to win and establish his brand, I am very confident that it would be here. The Panthers are trending up and Cam is aware of how the cap situation only gets better.

Yeah, except that's crap...

(link)

Luck's dad said the same thing to Steve Reed on his old Carolina Growl site.

Would you like to tell us that yuo have abetter source than Luck's father?

I'd tell you that his father is a liar, and a smart man. Whatever helps you sleep at night. Common sense ain't so common.

I haven't personally talked to Cam and thats all I'm going to say about that. So know you don't have to take what I'm saying as facts. Call it theories, projections, whatever. I can tell you that Cam wants to be here because he's built his brand here, he wants to be that guy that brings a Super Bowl to charlotte. That's the competitor in him. But Cam wants to be an iconic sports figure. That's his number one goal, and he knows it takes Super Bowls to ge there. He's not chasing contractual money, he wants the type of money that's going to keep coming long after he's done playing football. And he can only get that by winning consistently. So you can write it down, screenshot it, whatever you want to do. If Cameron Newton does not feel like he can win here, he is going to leave. No amount of money will keep him. I went a little strong in saying he will leave, but don't think its not an option at this point.

And Andrew Luck absolutely dodged the panthers, come on bro you know that. We declared him out pick and he went back to school. He risked getting drafted by the Browns, or the Raiders. That's how bad he didn't want to play here.

"Not chasing contractual money".... OK, so I'm sure he and the Panthers can sit down and write a simple, cheap contract and then we'll go out and splurge... Right... Its apparent where most of your "theory" is coming from, you want to believe that's his motivation and mindset because you aren't happy about the GM, scheme, OC, and perceived lack of interest from the ownership to load up on offensive playmakers. You want Cam to be unhappy with Carolina and you'd like to see the retribution be his defection for a "winning team" so he can realize his destiny of being the LeBron of the NFL. Got it.

Hardy was specifically tagged to be a one-year rental, but that situation blew up because of his personal life.

And unless you think Cam's going to have a domestic violence incident this offseason, those are extremely different situations.

So no, I don't find myself agreeing with you.

I'm not saying don't tag Cam. I am saying don't tag Cam if he's going to walk anyway. You have to lock him down so it doesn't come to the tag. If you have to tag your QB its not a good sign. You guys like to point out the saints, well there you go. Only two reasons why you would have to tag Cam. He wants more money than you can afford, or he doesn't want to play here. Neither are good.

"Not chasing contractual money".... OK, so I'm sure he and the Panthers can sit down and write a simple, cheap contract and then we'll go out and splurge... Right... Its apparent where most of your "theory" is coming from, you want to believe that's his motivation and mindset because you aren't happy about the GM, scheme, OC, and perceived lack of interest from the ownership to load up on offensive playmakers. You want Cam to be unhappy with Carolina and you'd like to see the retribution be his defection for a "winning team" so he can realize his destiny of being the LeBron of the NFL. Got it.

One of Cam's biggest mentors is Michael Jordan, who didn't make his money through contracts. He made it with endorsements, that came from winning. Tiger Woods is still the highest paid player in golf and he sucks, but he built the biggest brand in golf. How many athletes have clothing lines? Cam is about his brand

I'm not saying don't tag Cam. I am saying don't tag Cam if he's going to walk anyway. You have to lock him down so it doesn't come to the tag. If you have to tag your QB its not a good sign. You guys like to point out the saints, well there you go. Only two reasons why you would have to tag Cam. He wants more money than you can afford, or he doesn't want to play here. Neither are good.

You do realize that if you tag him, he can't walk away, right?

A pretty solid percentage of the guys who get the tag wind up signing long term with their team.  That's why teams use it.

Nothing wrong with having plans for marketing yourself beyond your career, and I think he can do as well as many who have come before him. I just don't see him going into defection mode. I like what he's said and continues to try to do as an athlete...Make improvements to his game. He has work to do there,as any pro does.

You do realize that if you tag him, he can't walk away, right?

A pretty solid percentage of the guys who get the tag wind up signing long term with their team. That's why teams use it.

I'm going to attempt to reach some middle ground with you. Most of the time in those situations, the tag is just an extension of the negotiations. Players don't just get tagged to trap players in a situation they don't want to be in. I agree that the goal is to keep Cam at all costs, but you can't get blindsided. I'd rather trade Cam than tag him and let him walk after a deal can't be reached.

Because paying a guy 20 million to play for you when he doesn't want to is a great investment

If you win a Super Bowl, sure it is.

Cam has no leverage, he will play here for 3 more years minimum, or he will sit out, and lose all that money.  Roughly 55 million dollars.  If he plays poorly, no team will give him a bid deal, if he plays brilliantly, the Panthers can sign him to another deal, tag him again, or trade him for a boat load of picks.

Get over it man, he's here for a while.  Bring this nonsense up again in the 2018 offseason.

There's an old saying about keeping your mouth closed to avoid being thought a fool rather than opening it and removing all doubt.

To be clear, I didn't skim anything you said. You were just wrong. Rivera did have the choice to start Norman. He also had the choice to start Andrew Norwell, Jonathan Stewart and others, but chose not to. This is, by the way, the same coach who talked up guys like Sione Fua, Armanti Edwards, Captain Munnerlyn and others thay were later cut by, guess who.

And the reference to 2011 tells me a lot :lol: especially given that the guy you're criticizing didn't arrive until 2013. And as was pointed out elsewhere, Gettleman has used half the draft picks made since taking the job on offense, plus undrafteds like Norwell and pickups like Remmers and Fozzy. Plus, believe it or not, we get to draft again this year too.

And again, FYI since this is another thing you don't seem to know, whether Newton signs an extended contract or not, the Franchise tag ensures he's here for at the very least, three more seasons.

Norwell really? Really? Ron was going to hitch his wagon to an UFA? And give me one good reason why Rivera should of had total faith in starting Norman after a terrible 2013? Tell me why?

Stewart? You mean the same Stewart who was injured the first half of the season? LMAO

Remmers LMAO another UFA we were forced to play cause of lack of talent.

And by half, you mean second half of the draft? The guys who barely ever amount to anything. Lets not forget the two running backs he drafted to help Cam. Oh wait there not even in the roster

And good grief your selfish, you want to keep a player against his will here. If Cam really doesn't want to be here we should trade him, and fire Gettleman while where at it.

Norwell really? Really? Ron was going to hitch his wagon to an UFA? And give me one good reason why Rivera should of had total faith in starting Norman after a terrible 2013? Tell me why?

Stewart? You mean the same Stewart who was injured the first half of the season? LMAO

Remmers LMAO another UFA we were forced to play cause of lack of talent.

And by half, you mean second half of the draft? The guys who barely ever amount to anything. Lets not forget the two running backs he drafted to help Cam. Oh wait there not even in the roster

And good grief your selfish, you want to keep a player against his will here. If Cam really doesn't want to be here we should trade him, and fire Gettleman while where at it.

you're down on Norwell, Remmers and Stewart?

Kid, did you even watch last year's games?

And no, by half the draft I mean half our picks.  For example, our first and third picks this past draft were used on a wide receiver and a guard.  Both of those are on offense, just to be clear.

As to the last paragraph, yeah...you don't know much about how this works in the real world, do you?

Archived