• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

3/17/15 Salray Cap Info

bababoey

Spotrac-   http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/cap/  10.8 million

NFLPA -   https://www.nflpa.com/public-salary-cap-report    11.8 million

Spotrac does not include Teddy Williams cap hit, which I read was 900,000 somewhere.  NFLPA is always a few day behind.  So it may not include Williams or Coleman or both. 

When Williams cap hit is included its not a reduction of 900,000 in the cap number.  Offseason only the top 51 count against the cap.  The lowest cap hit would come off the cap, Bene, and Williams would replace it.  So a reduction of about 400,000 in the cap if that is the case.  Spotrac is usually close, but not exactly correct. 

So just guess we are somewhere between 10 -11 million below the cap currently.  Saying 4.5 - 5 million for the draft class and we are talking about the Panthers having somewhere around 5-6 million left in cap space currently without any restructures or extending contracts.

Yeah, the hit from Teddy is really about $340,250 once your factor in knocking Bene out of the top 51 contracts. The draft pool amount is very deceiving, as only the first two picks will make enough to count toward the top 51.

25th pick: $1,449,364

57th pick: $684,396

Total: $2,133,760

Now, consider that two contracts of $585,000 will be bumped once these guys sign, so the net impact is only $963,760 for the rookies.

Factoring all this in, our "real" cap space after Teddy and the rookies should be about $9,677,137.

Yeah, the hit from Teddy is really about $340,250 once your factor in knocking Bene out of the top 51 contracts. The draft pool amount is very deceiving, as only the first two picks will make enough to count toward the top 51.

25th pick: $1,449,364

57th pick: $684,396

Total: $2,133,760

Now, consider that two contracts of $585,000 will be bumped once these guys sign, so the net impact is only $963,760 for the rookies.

Factoring all this in, our "real" cap space after Teddy and the rookies should be about $9,677,137.

I stopped following what you wrote as soon as you started using those symbols that are above the letters on my keyboard. But, even if you factor in an emergency reserve to go into the season of maybe $3M, it looks like we would still have enough room to make several smaller signings and maybe even a mid-tier guy.

There are still some guys available out there and this tells me we have a little more money than I thought. I figured we were sitting around $3.5M left or so. Good post. Thanks.

Archived