• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This whole drafting the best player available talk around here is ridiculous

GoobyPls

We had the same discussion last year and I'm sure we'll have the same discussion next year.

If each player a team scouts is given a numerical value 1-100 and is put on a board, then all other things being equal, yes, need will win out.

So if our pick comes up and there are five guys that are rated relatively close to each other, let's say a left tackle rated an 75, two wide receivers rated at 83 and 84, a cornerback at 85, and a defensive tackle at 97.

Under this scenario, there is no doubt in my mind that Gettleman picks the defensive tackle because he is overwhelmingly superior to the other players. Now of course it doesn't fill an immediate need, but as I stated before, rosters are a fluid entity that change constantly so what isn't a need right now might be a need soon.

Now let's take this same scenario and say the defensive tackle is an 84-85 value. In this scenario, I believe the team can go with the wideout over the defensive tackle, because even though the DT is technically the best player available, it is by such a minuscule margin that you can get the value there that you are looking for while also fulfilling an immediate need.

I would argue that in neither of these scenarios is it ok to take the left tackle, regardless of how badly we need one. Reason being, you simply can't pass up on either of the remaining players mentioned that are far superior to that player. Maybe, and it's a small maybe, if that tackle was as high as say an 83 could you entertain it, but even then it's a tough call I'd rather not make.

But then that's why the front office is in the war room and I'm writing this from the bathroom (shoutout to SCP). Because those are the calls they need to make during a draft that changes with each passing pick.

Solid explanation.

The only thing you can be certain of is the Huddle will love Gettleman's pick.

He's been solid two years in a row (which pretty much never happened to the Panthers before) and last year's rookie class was the best we've ever seen.

Knowing these things, why shouldn't we trust him?

The only thing you can be certain of is the Huddle will love Gettleman's pick.

You should of seen last season, hardly anybody wanted Kelvin on this forum, but when we picked him all of a sudden it was a genius move by Gettleman.

and OP, I wish I could be there to watch your head explode if we draft a DT

in the first 2 rounds.  We like to rotate 4, and 2 of our 4 are over 30.  What's more,

Star and KK 's contracts come up for renewal the same year, and we may not

be able to afford both after signing Cam, Luke and Norman. 

There is a good chance the BPA in round one or two will be a DT and Getty will probably

take him.

I might drink myself to sleep if that happens, knowing the sheep around here they would applause that pick like no tomorrow. I seriously think if we trade Cam tomorrow 60% of people on here would still consider Gettleman a genius and agree with the move.

Mock drafts mean fug all.

Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zero. Zilch.

So let me get this straight it was ALL coincidence that 70% of mock drafts in 2013 had us picking a DT and we ended drafting a DT, and it was ALL coincidence that 80% of all mock drafted had us picking a WR last year and we drafted a WR.

Nothing to do with need?  

I might drink myself to sleep if that happens, knowing the sheep around here they would applause that pick like no tomorrow. I seriously think if we trade Cam tomorrow 60% of people on here would still consider Gettleman a genius and agree with the move.

I would go so far as to say 80%. He has an incredibly high approval rating right now. I'm not knocking him but damn.

He's been solid two years in a row (which pretty much never happened to the Panthers before) and last year's rookie class was the best we've ever seen.

Knowing these things, why shouldn't we trust him?

I'm of the mind that what has been accomplished the past two years is a credit to more than Gettleman. I believe Rivera deserves more props than he gets, and so do many of the players (Cam, Luke, TD, Olsen to name a few).

I think Gettleman has done quite a few good things since he took over. He's not, however, completely infallible as some seem to suggest by their blind faith in him. Personally I've never had such faith in any one Panther figure, though Thomas Davis probably comes closer than anyone else in that regard.

So let me get this straight it was ALL coincidence that 70% of mock drafts in 2013 had us picking a DT and we ended drafting a DT, and it was ALL coincidence that 80% of all mock drafted had us picking a WR last year and we drafted a WR.

Nothing to do with need?  

That is a straight out lie. 

Star was 3rd or 4th round after his supposed heart aliment.

Less than 25% of mock drafts had us picking KB last year, they all had us going tackle.

You may need to do some research brah.

That is a straight out lie. 

Star was 3rd or 4th round after his supposed heart aliment.

Less than 25% of mock drafts had us picking KB last year, they all had us going tackle.

You may need to do some research brah.

His heart aliment was cleared by doctors. He was not a 3rd / 4th come draft day. 

Nothing to do with need?  

that's why the hedging of "BPA according to need".  BPA is inherent in the picks, if they didn't think it was the best pick they wouldn't do it.

I'm of the mind that what has been accomplished the past two years is a credit to more than Gettleman. I believe Rivera deserves more props than he gets, and so do many of the players (Cam, Luke, TD, Olsen to name a few).

I think Gettleman has done quite a few good things since he took over. He's not, however, completely infallible as some seem to suggest by their blind faith in him. Personally I've never had such faith in any one Panther figure, though Thomas Davis probably comes closer than anyone else in that regard.

Please. You were one of the loudest, longest whiners after last year's draft, and it turned out to be our best ever.

No, nobody's infallible, but your opinions are pretty uninformed and out of touch with reality.

Archived