• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers interested in Landon Collins

Kuech the Sneak

I don't respond to people who generalize by school or program. Great players can come from any school.

Fair enough, but it is legit that many of the DBs drafted from that program (Barron, for example) haven't proven to be good in the pros.

What makes Collins different?

Fair enough, but it is legit that many of the DBs drafted from that program (Barron, for example) haven't proven to be good in the pros.

Collins is a better overall prospect then Mark Barron and Ha Ha Clinton Dix coming out. Ha Ha also had a pretty good season with Green Bay to note . But Landon Collins has the tools to become a elite safety in the NFL. He can play the run well, and he has the skills to play cover two high, and can improve on his man to man coverage with more coaching. He is young and physical also has the ability to be a ballhawk on the Panthers. If Collins can come in and play at a high level, he will definitely replace Harper in our secondary and make our defense ELITE.

Collins is a better overall prospect then Mark Barron and Ha Ha Clinton Dix coming out. Ha Ha also had a pretty good season with Green Bay to note . But Landon Collins has the tools to become a elite safety in the NFL. He can play the run well, and he has the skills to play cover two high, and can improve on his man to man coverage with more coaching. He is young and physical also has the ability to be a ballhawk on the Panthers. If Collins can come in and play at a high level, he will definitely replace Harper in our secondary and make our defense ELITE.

Good answer, but one question.

Does the defense absolutely need him to become 'elite level' in your estimation?

Are there others who could also make that happen, maybe in a later round?

Collins is a better overall prospect then Mark Barron and Ha Ha Clinton Dix coming out.

It's hard to be much better of a prospect at safety than #7 overall.

Make no mistake, Barron was a BIG TIME prospect coming out of Alabama.  Certainly heard a lot more clamor about him leading up to the 2012 draft than you're hearing about Collins right now.  If anything, the main thing you can kind of infer about Collins is that he's the #1 safety by default with this being considered a weak overall safety class.

Former 1st rounder Haha Clinton-Dix played well for the Packers last year as a Rookie.

Former 1st rounder Kareem Jackson has been solid for the Texans and he will likely play out the rest of his career there.

Other than those two the rest of Bama Dbs have been mediocre to non existent at the pro level. That does not mean Collins will be the same way but I understand the trepidation.

• Pie 1

But do we have a 'coverage' type safety in the fold with him (or without him, for that matter)?

I think Boston could play FS with him for now. I'm not completely sold on him as the long-term option but his prior experience as a CB and ball-hawking skills make me think he could be a nice compliment at deep safety. 

For what it's worth, I don't think Collins will be available at #25.

Edited by TylerVagyler