• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera would like to see Cam signed long-term before 2015 season

gettlemanjack

I think it's more Cam's agent's reasoning than his own. If he lights it up this year at an elite level and we make a deep playoff or even Super Bowl run then his price could easily go from $20M/year to $25M/year. A lot depends on Wilson and Luck though, as Cam's side wants to let them (or Wilson atleast) set the market. I don't get that, but we'll see what happens.

I would guess his agents are already asking for the bigger number. Although Cam hasn't made a deep playoff run yet his agent could argue he constitutes a larger part of our offense then almost any other QB in the league.

I would guess one of three things is going on here.

1. Team isn't convinced Cam is the long term answer yet and is content with him playing one more year at the 5th year option price.

Option 1 can be risky if his value goes up, but if he is already asking for huge money there might not be as much risk as you would think. For example if he wants $23m a year now will an extra year really add that much?

2. Cam wants more then we are willing to pay.

3. (least likely) Cam wants to become a free agent and control his own destiny like you see in the NBA with some players.

I would guess his agents are already asking for the bigger number. Although Cam hasn't made a deep playoff run yet his agent could argue he constitutes a larger part of our offense then almost any other QB in the league.

1. Team isn't convinced Cam is the long term answer yet and is content with him playing one more year at the 5th year option price.

Option 1 can be risky if his value goes up, but if he is already asking for huge money there might not be as much risk as you would think. For example if he wants $23m a year now will an extra year really add that much?

3. (least likely) Cam wants to become a free agent and control his own destiny like you see in the NBA with some players.

I think 3 is a lot more likely than people think. I believe how much help Cam feels he has this season will have a lot to do with #3

I don't think it's any of those 3 things. I think Cam's side just wants Wilson/Luck to set the market and go from there, and they're being patient. I think Gettleman wants a deal done ASAP but is just going to have to wait for Cam's side. I see it happening this offseason if Wilson gets his this offseason, but otherwise it'll probably come next year. 

You are a complete fuging moron.

The problem with you fans is that you think like fans, all of your speculation comes from the mindset of a Carolina Panther's fan. You assume that every player loves the team and city just as much as you do. The truth is at the end of the day, Cam is going to do what's best for Cam. Sorry to break it to ya, but he could really care less about your feelings. His ultimate goal is to be an iconic sports figure. The only way he is going to do that is by winning, and he needs talent to do so. He's had one winning record since he's been in the league and has been held back by subpar coaching and offensive talent. But you keep thinking he's waiting for RW to sign first.

I don't think it's any of those 3 things. I think Cam's side just wants Wilson/Luck to set the market and go from there, and they're being patient. I think Gettleman wants a deal done ASAP but is just going to have to wait for Cam's side. I see it happening this offseason if Wilson gets his this offseason, but otherwise it'll probably come next year.

So you don't think Cam's side has thrown out a number at all?

I would guess they have, it just happens to be crazy high. Maybe they are waiting for Luck and Wilson to provide leverage to get that number.

But I could be wrong. Maybe Cam is determined to be the highest paid player in the league.

What if we offered 6yrs/150m? Would they still wait for Luck and Wilson?

I would guess they have, it just happens to be crazy high. Maybe they are waiting for Luck and Wilson to provide leverage to get that number.

But I could be wrong. Maybe Cam is determined to be the highest paid player in the league.

No I don't think they've thrown a number out at all. 

I'm sure they've thrown out some high number that they don't expect the panthers to accept. My point is you're either going to pay Cam so ridiculous number to get him to stay, or you're going to have to show him you're commuted to building around him

The problem with you fans is that you think like fans, all of your speculation comes from the mindset of a Carolina Panther's fan. You assume that every player loves the team and city just as much as you do. The truth is at the end of the day, Cam is going to do what's best for Cam. Sorry to break it to ya, but he could really care less about your feelings. His ultimate goal is to be an iconic sports figure. The only way he is going to do that is by winning, and he needs talent to do so. He's had one winning record since he's been in the league and has been held back by subpar coaching and offensive talent. But you keep thinking he's waiting for RW to sign first.

That is so ridiculous it's not even worthy of a response. Enjoy being a cynic.

I think 3 is a lot more likely than people think. I believe how much help Cam feels he has this season will have a lot to do with #3

Between the franchise tag and increased risk of injury waiting to become a free agent in the NFL is a lot riskier then the NBA.

You'd be surprised

When we win the Super Bowl next year with no WRs added in the draft or FA and Michael fuging Oher as our left tackle, you better not be around here celebrating as if you're a fan of the team. Be a fan of some sh*t team like the Browns if you wanna mope around all the time thinking everything sucks and that our franchise QB will walk in FA, when in reality those beliefs are just you making yourself think he'll want to walk because that's what you would do. You seem more focused on Cam's stats and wanting talent around him to make him look better, than on the success of the team as a whole. If Leonard Williams drops to 25 I bet you'd be upset with the pick because it's not a "weapon for Cam." Sh*t man you just don't get it.

Archived