• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Current Panthers Receiver Depth Chart

Jeremy Igo

I don't believe in the concept that there's some Madden-like #1, #2 tag on these people.  Or that the #2 role is somehow vacant because people don't like the player(s) in that role currently.  These things don't seem to understand this offense. 

Cotchery is not a sexy starter.  Fans have made it petulantly clear that he's not their guy, and that they want better - both are acceptable, but consider this - when there are two WR on the field, he's a guy to have on the field.  If the Panthers have Olsen tight instead of split, you have to be a good blocker.  You have to be able to run a good, efficient route and always catch the ball.  Because it's more likely an equal shot at running or passing on those downs. 

And anyone who's watched this team the last two years knows - the X receiver (Smith giving way to Benjamin) is probably isolated.   Olsen's always to the other side.  The rest of that other side is made up of roleplayers, not guys with numbers.  There's usually a good shorter receiver and a good speed guy, one to clear out and one to stretch the offense horizontally.  

It would be great if Carolina had one other great receiver.  No one's turning that down.   But, with two really fantastic players in the passing game and an offense that will run the ball in the top 10 in attempts no matter what, using the rest as roleplayers isn't some huge flaw.   This isn't 2008's unimaginative ground and pound, Smith on one side and Muhammad on the right and no one cares who the TE is.  This isn't that. 

At this point, the numbers that really matter?  Who contributes to the third phase.  Ginn is the PR, and as of right now, Cotchery and Benjamin probably start.  That leaves one jersey on gameday for a receiver, most likely.  I just don't see how people anticipate more than one receiver being added unless something tremendously drastic happens.

I don't believe in the concept that there's some Madden-like #1, #2 tag on these people. Or that the #2 role is somehow vacant because people don't like the player(s) in that role currently. These things don't seem to understand this offense.

Cotchery is not a sexy starter. Fans have made it petulantly clear that he's not their guy, and that they want better - both are acceptable, but consider this - when there are two WR on the field, he's a guy to have on the field. If the Panthers have Olsen tight instead of split, you have to be a good blocker. You have to be able to run a good, efficient route and always catch the ball. Because it's more likely an equal shot at running or passing on those downs.

And anyone who's watched this team the last two years knows - the X receiver (Smith giving way to Benjamin) is probably isolated. Olsen's always to the other side. The rest of that other side is made up of roleplayers, not guys with numbers. There's usually a good shorter receiver and a good speed guy, one to clear out and one to stretch the offense horizontally.

It would be great if Carolina had one other great receiver. No one's turning that down. But, with two really fantastic players in the passing game and an offense that will run the ball in the top 10 in attempts no matter what, using the rest as roleplayers isn't some huge flaw. This isn't 2008's unimaginative ground and pound, Smith on one side and Muhammad on the right and no one cares who the TE is. This isn't that.

At this point, the numbers that really matter? Who contributes to the third phase. Ginn is the PR, and as of right now, Cotchery and Benjamin probably start. That leaves one jersey on gameday for a receiver, most likely. I just don't see how people anticipate more than one receiver being added unless something tremendously drastic happens.

Cotchery sucks... People need to understand that and move on..

Gettlemen had already called him a dollar store player... So he will be replaced and hopefully cut..

Cotchery sucks... People need to understand that and move on..

Gettlemen had already called him a dollar store player... So he will be replaced and hopefully cut..

Cotchery does not suck, the way that we were misusing him sucks.  By all rights, he should have been our WR3.  The only reason that I am giving Shula the benefit of the doubt is because Cotchery was the closest thing to a WR2 that we had. Or, let me put it another way for magnus, he was playing the second fiddle, when he should have been playing in the slot.

They're using Cotchery as if he were a slot player, for the most part.  They're not doing this spread out, outside to inside symmetrical thing like most teams using a slot.   This 1x3 or 2x2 bunch formation stuff they're using so often is able to produce a lot with players like this.   Cotchery wasn't holding this team back and I don't really believe he's being misused.  

They can get better and have one magical player you guys can call #2.  That's fine.  Whoever that player is, will be the third best receiver, and will still be in a run-first offense.   In the end, the opportunity cost for that player is almost tough to justify.   I don't find it to be this massive hole so many of you do.   

They're using Cotchery as if he were a slot player, for the most part.  They're not doing this spread out, outside to inside symmetrical thing like most teams using a slot.   This 1x3 or 2x2 bunch formation stuff they're using so often is able to produce a lot with players like this.   Cotchery wasn't holding this team back and I don't really believe he's being misused.  

They can get better and have one magical player you guys can call #2.  That's fine.  Whoever that player is, will be the third best receiver, and will still be in a run-first offense.   In the end, the opportunity cost for that player is almost tough to justify.   I don't find it to be this massive hole so many of you do.   

The using of Cotchery as a slot guy thing is a stretch. But let's say that I agree with you for argument's sake, have you considered that the only reason that we have not opened up the offense is because we don't have another legitimate threat at WR that will take it to the house on any given play?

Furthermore, I don't see how you can say with any surety that the next receiver that we more than likely draft, pick up or whatever will only be the third best receiver.  You don't know that.

Lastly, Olsen is not a receiver. The most effective way to use him is when there is another legitimate threat on the field, as that receiver can draw attention away from Olsen (and possibly even KB), and allow him to put in work underneath. 

There is a massive whole, and there has been a massive hole since Moose left for Chicago.

They're using Cotchery as if he were a slot player, for the most part. They're not doing this spread out, outside to inside symmetrical thing like most teams using a slot. This 1x3 or 2x2 bunch formation stuff they're using so often is able to produce a lot with players like this. Cotchery wasn't holding this team back and I don't really believe he's being misused.

They can get better and have one magical player you guys can call #2. That's fine. Whoever that player is, will be the third best receiver, and will still be in a run-first offense. In the end, the opportunity cost for that player is almost tough to justify. I don't find it to be this massive hole so many of you do.

It is easy for a lot of fans to point at certain players to explain deficiencies with their particular team. It use to be LaFell, now it's Cotchery.

Here are the yardage totals for the third leading receiving options for the 6 NFC playoff teams according to espn.com.

580 - Cotchery

I'm not saying we shouldn't look for upgrades. I will take an upgrade at any position, but these numbers might illustrate what Magnus is referring to as opportunity cost.

Can't remember if I put this in  another thread but Brown is JAG as an NFL WR....literally every team has a player who can do what Brown does if not better...he's basically a slightly better AE who is also slower than people keep saying...

How do you guys figure he's fast because the game tape certainly doesn't show it....nor does this: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2014/02/24/official-result-takes-luster-off-browns-time.html

Also that article says that he was never a deep threat or target at Ohio State....sure he'll be that for us....uhh not.

Can't remember if I put this in  another thread but Brown is JAG as an NFL WR....literally every team has a player who can do what Brown does if not better...he's basically a slightly better AE who is also slower than people keep saying...

How do you guys figure he's fast because the game tape certainly doesn't show it....nor does this: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2014/02/24/official-result-takes-luster-off-browns-time.html

Also that article says that he was never a deep threat or target at Ohio State....sure he'll be that for us....uhh not.

Maybe you shouldn't be so negative. Brown is a grinder who came up big for us last year. 4.51 isn't slow and doesn't mean he can't contribute. 

If every 4.3 guy was a deep threat in the NFL then every team would have a deep threat.

He might forever be a limited WR. But he could be a guy that sticks around for a long time. One that could fill in to start if needed and build a safety valve report with Cam. 

Maybe you shouldn't be so negative. Brown is a grinder who came up big for us last year. 4.51 isn't slow and doesn't mean he can't contribute. 

If every 4.3 guy was a deep threat in the NFL then every team would have a deep threat.

He might forever be a limited WR. But he could be a guy that sticks around for a long time. One that could fill in to start if needed and build a safety valve report with Cam. 

Not being negative at all, just observant. Being a grinder is all cool and everything but it's the main reason people like him...it's the underdog story.

People keep saying he's a deep threat when he's not nor has he ever been...he's not the answer for our speed issues and he's small so yes 4.5 is bad for a 5'11 WR weighing in at 180lbs. If 300 yards and 2 TDs is coming up "big" then let me tell you that there are 60+ other NFL WRs who came up bigger for their squads...once again easily replaceable.

Brown is 23 same as age Hill but Hill has more experience and measurables. 

http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/12864/wide-receiver-stephen-hill-could-be-ready-to-shine-for-panthers-in-2015

Not saying he is the answer either but people scoff at a 23 year old HIll who is 6-4,215 and can actually run but try to act like Brown could be anything but a JAG...at best Brown could be an average slot WR.

And I haven't even begun to talk about blocking.  Gettleman covets receivers that can block (even though he ironically let two of our best blockers get away from him), who wouldn't?  A receiver that can catch, block, and play special teams will probably get the nod over one who doesn't, especially in an offense like Gman and the coaches want to run.  Blocking has to be taken in to consideration. Of all the receivers that we have now, people need to realize that Cotchery, Hill and Boykin are good downfield blockers. 

Not being negative at all, just observant. Being a grinder is all cool and everything but it's the main reason people like him...it's the underdog story.

People keep saying he's a deep threat when he's not nor has he ever been...he's not the answer for our speed issues and he's small so yes 4.5 is bad for a 5'11 WR weighing in at 180lbs. If 300 yards and 2 TDs is coming up "big" then let me tell you that there are 60+ other NFL WRs who came up bigger for their squads...once again easily replaceable.

Brown is 23 same as age Hill but Hill has more experience and measurables. 

http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/12864/wide-receiver-stephen-hill-could-be-ready-to-shine-for-panthers-in-2015

Not saying he is the answer either but people scoff at a 23 year old HIll who is 6-4,215 and can actually run but try to act like Brown could be anything but a JAG...at best Brown could be an average slot WR.

The expectations are different between the two. I don't think or expect Brown to be our next great WR or even a #2 for that matter. I don't think most people here do either. But there's no harm in giving him a chance to compete. Obviously Gettleman isn't settling if he's offering a contract to Greg Jennings. 

Brown was a UDFA who did come up big for us at times last year. He didn't put up a lot of stats but he made crucial plays. Hill is a 2nd round draft choice who has nearly fallen off the map. But hey  I would like a guy with his measurables to succeed here too.

Jarrett Boykin gets much better separation, and that is reflected in his much better YAC. And that's just Jarett Boykin.

That is outrageous. YAC from Boykin was a product of Rodgers and the Packers offense. Philly is already a significantly better route runner than Boykin.

That is outrageous. YAC from Boykin was a product of Rodgers and the Packers offense. Philly is already a significantly better route runner than Boykin.

No, what's outrageous is you not giving Jarrett Boy kin his due. You obviously just have never cared to watch him play or looked at any stats. You better be glad that I don't have any way of verifying their YAC in college. I wonder what lame excuse you'd give then.

Boykin basically just outproduced Brown in most stats that you can think of. And I absolutely know by looking at the stats that he was better with YAC also.

Furthermore, it's very lame to use the QB and especially the system as a means to disparage a player's talent. But, for your information, 2013 was effectively his first year really playing, and it just so happens that it was also the year that Rodgers got hurt. Most of the damage that Boykin did that year was with Rodgers on the sidelines, including a 112 yard performance. I guess you'll tell me how Boykin, basically still wet under the ears, was at an advantage playing with Matt Flynn and Seneca Wallace.

Give me a break. Brown is not a better route runner than Boykin, and never has been.

Archived