• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why is it that some of you huddlers are fixated on..

My father caught 37 passes for USC during his sophomore year before blowing out his knee. He ran a 4.9 back in the day before they passed on first and second down. I played in college and he was my personal trainer and coach (had no choice) and he used to preach three things:

1. Setting up the db by trying to get his feet out of position as you go into your cut (speed not required).

2. Dropping your shoulder and snapping/exploding out of the cut

3. hand positioning and burst during the first 2 steps out of the cut

He said it is more chess game than race. He constantly used Jerry Rice as his example, even before Rice was Jerry Rice. He said, "That guy gets it." He used to point at the TV during instant replays and make me notice the little nuances in his routes. I was thinking "If he is that good, why didn't he go to a bigger school than Mississippi Valley State Tech community college?"

Of course, he used to say this: Hands are the most important thing because catching the ball is job. If you don't do that, getting open just embarrasses you more. So hands, route running, blocking, speed are probably the order of importance. Funny how teams overlook the first three.

Nice post. A couple of thoughts...

I don't think that teams necessarily overlook the first three. I just think that sometimes it's difficult to calculate what weight to give to which, all while trying to figure out if this guy can be one of the pieces that fit into your puzzle. Given that most of these guys have a lot of learning to do in all aspects of receiving at the professional level, part of the evaluation process has to be trying to figure out if a guy can learn in whatever area of deficiency that he has, and how quickly he will be able to do it. Now sure there may be some cowboys out there that get enamored with speed only, but they probably aren't going to last over time (unless they are an owner).

Kind of off the subject, but I tell my son all the time that sports is about talent, yes, but that you also have to be motivated and willing to put in the work. If you don't have the talent, motivation and willingness to work, then you're probably not going to make it. I also tell him that in all sports, "you have to think!" Gamesmanship and outsmarting your opponent by observing tendencies and being able to adapt by using appropriate techniques in a given situation in order to exploit their tendencies/movements is what will make you great.

In sports in general, and particularly the skill positions of football, you must have a good chess game, so to speak, if you want to rise above the rest.

While I understand and agree with your premise, I had to look at some hard numbers.

Looking at the 40 times of the top 30 WRs of last season, there appears to be a correlation between 40 times and the top tiers of WRs.

My conclusion is that Nelson and Bryant are the exceptions and not the rule. Chances are, the top WR's are fast and not everyone is lucky enough to draft Jerry Rice or Larry Fitzgerald but will more than likely draft a sub 4.5 40 WR.

1. Antonio Brown - 4.47

2. Demaryius Thomas - 4.38

3. Julio Jones - 4.39

4. Jordy Nelson - 4.51

5. Emmanuel Sanders - 4.41

6. TY Hilton - 4.34

7. Golden Tate 4.42

8. Dez Bryant - 4.52

9. Jeremy Maclin - 4.45

10. Odell Beckahm, Jr. - 4.43

4.43 Average 40 time of Top 10

8 out of 10 WR are sub 4.5 (Nelson/Bryant)

11. Randall Cobb - 4.46

12. Deandre Hopkins - 4.41

13. DeSean Jackson - 4.35

14. Alshon Jeffrey - 4.48

15. Calvin Johnson - 4.35

16. Steve Smith Sr. - 4.39

17. Anquan Boldin - 4.71

18. Mike Evans - 4.53

19. AJ Green - 4.50

20. Kelvin Benjamin - 4.61

4.47 average 40 time of 11-20 WR

6 out of 10 WR are sub 4.5 (Boldin, Evans, Green, Benjamin)

21. Vincent Jackson - 4.46

22. Sammy Watkins - 4.43

23. Julian Edelman - 4.52

24. Eric Decker - 4.54

25. Brandon LaFell - 4.54

26. Rueben Randle - 4.55

27. Andre Johnson - 4.41

28. Kenny Stills - 4.38

29. Roddy White - 4.47

30. Marques Colston - 4.50

4.48 average 40 time of 21-30 WR

5 out of 10 RW are sub 4.5 (Edelman, Decker, LaFell, Randle, Colston)

Nice work!

I don't necessarily think anyone that is smart wants to draft a speed merchant in the first couple of rounds (or even three or four) just because a guy can run fast. It is the totality of the guy.

I could be wrong, but I believe the OP was indirectly talking about Perriman, whom he is being jaundiced against due to negative Huddle narratives based upon incomplete information. In terms of guys like Perriman, who are big and fast, that has the possibility of being a killer combination. Other than a good QB, a big, fast, savvy route runner, adept blocker, good-handed receiver is the holy grail for the passing game. Now I am not saying as of now that Perriman does or doesn't have all that, but it is up to Gettleman and company to evaluate whether Perriman does or can be all that at some determined time in the future.

All things being close (because they're never equal), why wouldn't you want a fast and big receiver that has all the tools to succeed, than a fast and small receiver that has the same? Or, maybe a big and slow or small and slow guy? When you think about all they have to do, including the much overlooked blocking, big receivers are at an advantage. Moreover, they are usually stronger and provide a much bigger target, so when you add speed to that---provided they can catch and run some savvy routes---you have someone who is as close to unstoppable as you're going to get in this league.

2. Dropping your shoulder and snapping/exploding out of the cut

3. hand positioning and burst during the first 2 steps out of the cut

Something our current WR corps aren't very good at.

The ball is there but where is the WR?  Oh, he rounded off his cut and then loafed his ass out of it, that's where.

Something our current WR corps aren't very good at.

The ball is there but where is the WR?  Oh, he rounded off his cut and then loafed his ass out of it, that's where.

I agree--Benjamin comes to mind. People don't want to hear that, but he was not a good route runner. 

I agree--Benjamin comes to mind. People don't want to hear that, but he was not a good route runner. 

Love KB.  His ceiling isn't even in sight.  He not only can get better, but I think he will.

But, yeah, he was a pretty horrible route runner last year.

And it wasn't only him, it was pretty much every receiver we had except Thor.  Is Proehl just not getting through to'em?

Love KB.  His ceiling isn't even in sight.  He not only can get better, but I think he will.

But, yeah, he was a pretty horrible route runner last year.

And it wasn't only him, it was pretty much every receiver we had except Thor.  Is Proehl just not getting through to'em?

Good question.  I think the lack of familiarity with Cam was the biggest problem.  My dad called it "peeking", when you slow or soften your cuts to look back at the qb too soon.  Benjamin had one year (I think) of college  ball, and Brown was not exactly in a pro-set passing offense.  I think they will improve dramatically this year, as you say.

Archived