• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Overdue Huddle debate: Gas or charcoal?

pstall

Gas gives you less time to sip thus charcoal.

Boom

Unless you've got it cranked down to 200 degrees and have some smoker boxes sitting on the flavorizer bars.

Cooking whole chickens takes 2 hours that way.

Cooking meat properly is all about temperature control. Enjoy your petroleum flavored burgers, briquette bitches.

Gas.

Bitches.

I'm with Jase....I cook on a grill 4 times a week. No way I am dealing with charcoal that much, My Weber gas grill doesn't dry out meat one bit. 

My time is valuable and Johnny Rocket's ain't got time for no charcoal grill. 

While you charcoal snobs are still waiting for your coals to flame out, I have grilled my steak, ate it, drank 3 beers after, and am now naked floating around in my pool. 

Gas me. 

I have a Weber Genisis E-330 for gas and a Big Green Egg that I only use Rockwood Lump wood charcoal in.

I grill/smoke 3-5 times per week...typically I am 80% gas vs. 20% smoke/charcoal.

Gas is good for a quick meal like chicken, burgers, dogs. Charcoal is great for steak, pork, and fish.

Depends on what I'm cooking. Mostly I prefer charcoal, but if I need to get a real good caramelization or a quick hot seer on a piece of nice rare steak, I switch to my gas infrared grill. It gets way hotter faster and since I'm usually only using it for 3 or 4 minutes, it's more convenient than charcoal for the same purpose. 

Cooking meat properly is all about temperature control. Enjoy your petroleum flavored burgers, briquette bitches.

Gas.

Bitches.

Temperature control indeed.  That's why my big green egg is superior in every way.  

With propane to start some coals(the only thing it's good for) I can get 700+ degrees in minutes.  Shut off the air and pop the cap on and the coals are out almost immediately.

Once you go green you never go back.

lately for steaks I have been cooking them sous vide.  Put the steak in a plastic baggie and make a bath for them on the stove at medium rare temperature.  Keep it that way for an hour or two. Some people use a cooler which I've never had much success with.  There are also $400 contraptions you can buy that do the same thing.

Slap it on the grill for a couple of minutes to get a sear.  Best steak you will ever eat if you've never tried it that way.

lately for steaks I have been cooking them sous vide.  Put the steak in a plastic baggie and make a bath for them on the stove at medium rare temperature.  Keep it that way for an hour or two. Some people use a cooler which I've never had much success with.  There are also $400 contraptions you can buy that do the same thing.

Slap it on the grill for a couple of minutes to get a sear.  Best steak you will ever eat if you've never tried it that way.

I've seen this done a few times, but never done it myself.

That said, I have both.

2 gas grills, 1 charcoal, and 1 smoker.  My wife loathes my corner of the deck.  

I use each for different cooking styles/methods.

Archived