• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

As draft day draws near

Let me remind the entire board, myself included, that Gman and the scouts know more than we all do. I watched half this board (myself included) freak out when we drafted Cam. It worked out well.

I watched half this board freak out when we took a MLB in Luke when we had Beason. Worked out.

I watched half this board freak out when we took an 'overweight and slow' WR in Benji. Worked out (yeah, cue the losers that want to complain about his drops. Kid had 1,000 yards as a rookie, go away)

The only first round pick I can remember in huddle history that we seemingly all could agree on was Star.

Point is, we all have players we like and players we don't like. I'm a big Shaq Topmpson and Peat guy. Others aren't and I can understand their reasons why. But at the end of the day, it only matters what Gman thinks and who the next kids will be, wearing Panthers jerseys on Sunday.

So if your guy doesn't get picked, even if the kid you hate gets picked, hold the bi%$&ing after he's picked and support our newst panther. Whining for the next four months won't change it. And hopefully, like our last guys, he will prove his doubters wrong.

In Gman I trust.

You're doing that? That's a long time in a chair and to stay awake...

I mean if I didn't have obligations and a wife I would but I have to save California from a drought and junk.

I have two jobs. I'm taking a personal day from one and the other better have all emergencies near Westminster.

If you enjoy something you'll make the time. And this theater has a bar

I will be at work for the first time since they began holding it on Thursday nights.  I will be streaming it however. Lucky for me that I will be free for all of the other rounds though, plus the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight.

As for getting angry. I definitely won't do it on day 1 or 2, and probably most of day 3. I trust G-man to make the right decision for the team at the top of the draft.  Where I tend to get upset is the later round picks, because after looking at what he has done with the beginning picks there always seems to be some perceived need that appears to have been neglected which I feel could potentially be filled by a prospect with some upside in rounds 6 and 7.  This draft though, I am going to resist the urge to get upset and roll with Gettleman's flow regardless of his choices. 

Who ya pulling for and who ya got?

I am going to go "Scot" on this one to the "amusement" of my son. I hope Pac lays Mayweather out.  I just don't appreciate all the braggadocio that Mayweather has brought to the table throughout his good career.  I don't like the fact that he didn't fight Pac years ago. And I don't like the fact that Floyd is considered "great" (which he arguably is by today's standards) because he never had to fight the Sugar Rays, Tommy Hearnses, or Roberto Durans of yesteryear.  Sure he fought Sugar Shane and De La Hoya when they were nearing the end of their careers, but Floyd has largely feasted on a bunch of guys with inferior talent (which admittedly is not totally his fault). Now it may be that i'm just getting too old and stodgy to appreciate all the arrogance and boastful behavior, I admit it. Maybe I am just a hater. My son loves Mayweather's "swag", and he also loves an undefeated streak (he hated when the Giants beat the Pats). I hope Pac puts him to sleep, though you know I would never put money on that happening. It's just a way for me to have some fun with my son. He'll probably end up saying, "What did I tell you? What did I tell you? See! See!" I'll just shake my head and smile, and continue the narrative about how Mayweather has run from top competition all of his career, and how the old greats would have laid him down. Mayweather is arguably the best defensive fighter in the history of the sport.

My favorite fighter right now is Gennady "GGG" Golovkin.  GGG is not flashy, but tough, hard working and humble. He is also more technically sound than some want to give him credit for. The Kazakh boxer is beloved by Mexicans and Mexican-Americans for that same humble disposition.  

I am going to go "Scot" on this one to the "amusement" of my son. I hope Pac lays Mayweather out.  I just don't appreciate all the braggadocio that Mayweather has brought to the table throughout his good career.  I don't like the fact that he didn't fight Pac years ago. And I don't like the fact that Floyd is considered "great" (which he arguably is by today's standards) because he never had to fight the Sugar Rays, Tommy Hearnses, or Roberto Durans of yesteryear.  Sure he fought Sugar Shane and De La Hoya when they were nearing the end of their careers, but Floyd has largely feasted on a bunch of guys with inferior talent (which admittedly is not totally his fault). Now it may be that i'm just getting too old and stodgy to appreciate all the arrogance and boastful behavior, I admit it. Maybe I am just a hater. My son loves Mayweather's "swag", and he also loves an undefeated streak (he hated when the Giants beat the Pats). I hope Pac puts him to sleep, though you know I would never put money on that happening. It's just a way for me to have some fun with my son. He'll probably end up saying, "What did I tell you? What did I tell you? See! See!" I'll just shake my head and smile, and continue the narrative about how Mayweather has run from top competition all of his career, and how the old greats would have laid him down. Mayweather is arguably the best defensive fighter in the history of the sport.

My favorite fighter right now is Gennady "GGG" Golovkin.  GGG is not flashy, but tough, hard working and humble. He is also more technically sound than some want to give him credit for. The Kazakh boxer is beloved by Mexicans and Mexican-Americans for that same humble disposition.  

Agree 100% brother. Mayweather is the most technically sound fighter I've seen probably ever. He will win decisions because he is an amazing counter puncher and defender (I wouldn't say the best in the history of the sport, but very good nonetheless) and he doesn't take chances that get him in trouble. He sits back, picks his shots, dodges, dips, feints, and gets the points. On top of that, he only fights guys that he knows he will beat and that he knows have no shot of damaging him. He is a cocky son of a bitch who doesn't even attempt to back up his jawing, because he's afraid to fight the top fighters. This Pac fight is only happening because the money was wayyyy too much to pass up for Floyd and it took this long to happen because Pac isn't in his prime and likely won't be knocking him out like he could've a lot easier 5 years ago when the fight should've happened. I can think of at least 20 fighters in Mayweather's weight class that are better than him (not current fighters) so I can't stand all of his dick riders who call him the greatest pound for pound fighter of all time. As for this fight, I'm about 80% sure Mayweather will win. He'll sit back, pick his shots, play defensive and win on points like he always does. Only way Pac wins is if he can catch Floyd off guard with his speed and power and capitalize on it. Figure for the hell of it I'll put a couple hundred on Pac to knock him out since the odds favor it and if he wins that's how it'll happen, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Really only gonna watch it since it's likely the last "megafight" in boxing. $100 is outrageous but oh well.

I don't really have any favorite fighter. I have guys I dislike and root for whoever goes against them (like Kovalev, Mayweather, Broner, etc.). I like GGG but tend to pull for Americans more. I'm going to the Klitschko-Jennings fight this Saturday and am pulling heavily for Jennings, though I don't expect him to win. Would love to see us finally bring the heavyweight title back home. Not as excited about boxing these days as I once was but the sport's not nearly as dead as a lot of people think. Nowhere near as popular as it once was but there are still some great fighters. No Sugar Rays (Robinson--not that name-stealing chump) but definitely some great fighters. I want to see Hopkins champ again, would have to love a 50+ year old champ. Stevenson would have to take out Kovalev though for that to happen.

I love a good thread hijacking

poo, man, he is preaching to the choir. The thing is, no matter how many times someone basically says "Gman knows more than you, so don't throw a hissy fit", it's pretty useless.  In fact, the responses to the draft can be quite entertaining.  I will admit that once Gettleman drafts Shaq Thompson, Preston Smith, and Carl Davis on days one and two, and then Senquez Golson in the 4th, I will probably be right there in the middle of the fray when he passes up Josh Harper or Dezmin Lewis in the 5th to draft Ray Drew or Damian Swann. :lol:

Seriously though, the American heavyweight division is a joke compared to what it once was. I can't wait for Deontay Wilder to bring the real championship belts back to the states. 

I have two jobs. I'm taking a personal day from one and the other better have all emergencies near Westminster.

If you enjoy something you'll make the time. And this theater has a bar

I wanted to go to that theatre while I was there but never had time.

Archived