• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Damiere Byrd WR, South Carolina to Panthers

Decent route runner.

(Usc fan here) extremely fast. Not a player who you throw screens to. His comeback route got better and so did his hands. If he bulks up and doesn't lose his speed could be a solid number 3. For now he could only be used on go and comeback routes. Nothing over the middle. Could be a poor man's ty Hilton

Byrd has just as much of a chance at being a WR in this league as Funchess, but since Funchess is big and stuff, homers here will give him way more credit than he deserves. It's pretty obvious no one on this site actually watches all 22 film here, they just trip over themselves trying to fellate Gettleman as fast as possible unfortunately.

much like smitty did.

So much ignorance in your comment.

"Smitty" is short, but compact. Does he even have a neck? He's solid enough to absorb blows, like a running back. Like someone said up the thread, if Byrd builds up his body, maybe he can last.

He has good weight for being 5'9, so he is built better than.most are giving him credit for.

Plus, he's an UDFA, meaning there is no risk.

Let see if he can make the team.

And leave your ignorant poo out of the conversation considering you are just being judgemental prick at this point.

I watch every USC game and Byrd is electric. He has elite speed and is very shifty, however, he is tiny. I can't imagine he will be able to take NFL hits, but I would have said the same thing about Sproles. If he can hold up, he will be an interesting gadget/deep ball kind of guy. Nice pick up with nice upside.

As a USC fan I wasn't too excited about this signing at first. But the more I think about it - I actually think he has a decent shot of making the team.

First - he doesn't have great size. But he's just 4/10 of an inch shorter and 10 pounds lighter than Phillip Dorsett, who went in the first round (and who many on this site loved as a prospect). Importantly, he is every bit as fast as Dorsett and is considered a superior athlete to Dorsett by SPARQ (Byrd #7 overall receiver, Dorsett is #9).

Why might he make the roster?

1) Speed. Speed has been a priority this offseason. And while Philly Brown is fast, he doesn't have true speed like Byrd. Byrd and Ginn (and Hill) are in a class of their own on this roster - their speed can create space for Benjamin, Funchess, and Olsen to dominate underneath.

2) Special Teams. Gettleman has said that in order to make the roster as a backup this year you will have to play multiple positions and/or contribute on special teams. With his speed, Byrd could be an amazing gunner on punt coverage. At USC, Byrd was a safety valve on kick coverage - he chased down multiple returners from

behind to prevent sure TDs. He could certainly return kicks as well.

3) Competiton. Even after adding Funchess, we are not stacked at WR. Benjamin and Funchess are locked in. I think Cotchery is a lock as well though he likely plays less this year - he is a vet presence that helped Benjamin and will help Funchess. I think Philly showed a lot of promise and will earn a spot in camp. Ginn is a lock as well given his speed and special teams roles.

But do we stick with just 5 spots his year? If we want fast guys on special teams I could easily see us keeping a sixth wideout. Could Byrd beat out Boykin? Bersin? Hill? It's possible. I think Hill or Byrd have a better shot than Boykin/Bersin given their potential contributions on special teams. And Byrd has better hands than Hill.

In summary - Byrd is athletically very similar to Phillip Dorsett though Dorsett is clearly a much better receiver at this point - that's why he was a first round pick. But Byrd brings something the top WRs on this team don't have and could be a big contributor on special teams. Great risk to take as an UDFA signing.

Archived