• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anyone worried about coaching decisions in 2015?

Hotsauce

Promoting and keeping Shula was the best decision for Cam at the time. He was young and we relied heavily on his playmaking abilities. Now he is our long term FRANCHISE QB. He is mostly surrounded by talent. 

I hope that nippleshorts keeps RR and Co. On a short leash this season and if we fail, makes changes next off season. I know that's unlikely due to our last two years success. But that is what I am hoping for.

Anyone who's worried about the defense needs to go root for the Saints, who's fan base could use someone to try and bring them back down to earth.  In Carolina, it will remain a strength.  We're still young on the line, and get a talent infusion with Frank Alexander.  Shaq Thompson brings versatility, and all we really need to concern ourselves with in the secondary is Harper's age (hello Kurt Coleman?).  I just don't see us slipping here, unless we have another Hardy-sized distraction.  McDermott is going to have a ton of talent to throw whatever he feels like at opposing offenses, and based on his track record we'll be fine.

I don't see how Special Teams can be worse than they were last year.  And now we have more talent.  I think I could actually look good as a ST coach this year if we used 2014 for comparison, so I'm pretty excited to see what a professional can do now that we have better gunners and an actual return man.

Which brings us to Shula.  We like to rag on him, but you want to consider something before you do.  It's 3rd and 4, and you have a crap line, an aging Williams, Greg Olsen, and one legit receiver.  How hard is it for a defense to figure out how to force you into something you don't want to do?  Last year when the line improved, the play calling did too--isn't it amazing how that works?

Benjamin's a year older.  Hill has had a year of coaching up, and he still has all that speed.  Funchess is someone Gettleman and Co. were very high on, there's bound to be a reason for that.  And between Brown and Ginn, we'll have someone else to stretch the field if Hill doesn't pan out (and even if he does).  Last year Shula had 2-3 good options on any given play and several mediocre ones.  This year he's got 4-5 good options.  So I think he's going to look a lot smarter out there.

Funny how everyone uses a poor O line, no healthy backs and a cadre of JAGs at receiver as an excuse for why Cam puts up mediocre or poor numbers but bash Shula in the next breath. Seems to me as the O coordinator he has the same offensive conditions as Cam and was just as hamstrung with lack of talent.  

Shula wont be confused with an offensive mastermind by any means but when given the talent to run his system he can and will do a good job.

There are times it seems Cam calls his own plays...very infrequent but I think it happens from time to time.  Now that Cam has been in Shula's offense for some time do you think they ever give Cam free reign to call his own plays a la Manning, Brady, etc...or is he not ready for that step yet?  I have to believe it has to be just as effective or better than what Shula will be calling.

Archived